Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Got a bit carried away there, didn’t he. One of those where you think it’s bollocks on the first viewing, but then you see the replay and have to decide whether admit you were wrong or double down :rofl: Poor DT dug in.

1 Like

Yeah I thought it was harsh to be fair and then I saw it I thought yeah that’s deserved.

Actually after this weekend it was nice to see a game not marred in some “controversy”

3 Likes

Arsenal look undoubtedly better than last season but am I the only thinking Liverpool played Simeone’s Atletico last night, at least in the first half?

1 Like

Well, there is one thing i keep hearing from them. They think Partey would have neutralized our midfield…i mean, i know last year Partey gave us a hard time but would he neutralize our midfield? I dont think so…

Problem is I’m not seeing where the ref was biased towards us, maybe Mane but it’s not obvious or intentional.

We also gave them a goal, they’ve only created one goal themselves in the 3 matches and won two.

2 Likes

Shows the level of their ambition, the celebrations after winning a Carabao Cup game on penalties.
Arteta a great manager?
Answer to that is Xhaka, alehouse footballer a fixture in his side.

1 Like

I think Arteta has a plan and is gradually rebuilding his squad. I think Arsenal would be better placed than City and Chelsea to challenge us in 2022.

That’s low. This is the same criticism people used against Klopp for celebrating a late equalizer against West Brom.

2 Likes

To be honest I thought Klopp overplayed the West Brom draw. But it was at least contextual.
The Arsenal reaction to reaching the quarter final of the lowest competition open to them was over the top.

The Athletic:

Arsenal are attempting to complete a late move for Thomas Partey, report David Ornstein and James McNicholas.

The Athletic understands Arsenal have made contact with the Atletico Madrid midfielder’s camp, and sources say they have indicated an intention to pay the €50 million (£45.4 million) release clause today. Arsenal are now making necessary arrangements in the event of the transfer being able to be completed before the 11pm deadline.

Atletico have indicated previously they would only let the player go if the release clause was matched.

Preparations are being made for his medical to be undertaken in Madrid, and Arsenal are already aware of the personal terms he would demand.

Could be a quality deal if they manage to pull it through.

Quality signing but this is just really bad planning. How the fuck does a club leave it so late to pay the release clause? Arsenal clearly thought Atletico were bluffing but I can’t remember when they’ve done that before. They could have signed him weeks back and had him from the start of the season.

1 Like

Posting here from the City thread, got confused with those huge thread names.

:joy:

1 Like

Is he the alternative for the Lyon guy? Arsenal didn’t want to pay €50 million for him.

Different types of players, Aouar is more creative, better between the lines, very good with the ball at his feet. Partey is a proper destroyer, he was the best Atletico player over two legs against Liverpool, in my opinion. He’ll be a quality signing for them, very good defensive shield.

6 Likes

Thanks. I got confused with the same price. Arsenal would have had a great midfield with both of them.

I see Partey not only as physically a very dominant player, but he’s calm on the ball as well. He’s not wild and inaccurate on the ball like a Sissoko. This fella can play. Arteta wouldn’t pay top dollar if he was only a destroyer. So I see it as a serious signing for Arsenal, if he adapts well, I think he will. One they were craving for in a long while.

6 Likes

both would just about sort them out in midfield but if they could only get one or the other, partey helps them more than aouar imo. he & that prick ceballos really give them some c–ty professionalism in the middle of the park

on top of his defensive qualities partey is basically impervious to being pressed, he’s perfect for a mentally weak bunch like arsenal

1 Like

I suppose you could say they’re late to the Partey.

Couldn’t you? Anyone?

1 Like
2 Likes