The Steven Gerrard Thread

Leeds are certainly not commited to their manager neither is the manager to them. They work very much on a year to year basis, Bielsa won’t be there for much longer. Similar goes for some other clubs around those places. Takes very little for a Moyes to get sacked again.

What is domination anyway? To win one league in who knows how long? That is not domination. I mean, it is, but only for one season. He still needs to work on himself as the manager. He already rejected some Championship clubs.

Doesn’t strike me as someone who will just change clubs every now and then. He said it himself, he’ll give it a go, but he maybe won’t try until he’s 70. At the moment he’s still in that first phase. And passing the test nicely. I see him at Rangers next season for sure and then we’ll see. He’s got 2 years left on his current deal, that might be his next target. For now.

1 Like

It’s far too early for him. It would be like Rodgers coming in from Reading*: a recipe for disaster. He needs to continue to gather experience (success and failure) before he can be seriously considered for a massive job like LFC.

For me, we can talk about it again in about eight to ten years. If he continues to make his way until then, and has also seen what it takes at a higher level than his current one, then he’ll be a serious candidate. But there is still a long, long way ahead of him.

*Or to take another, maybe more telling example: it would be like Klopp coming to LFC after three years in charge of Mainz.

Edit: all that being said, he has done a great job at Rangers, far better than what I’d have expected from him. When he came in, they were still licking their wounds from their earlier bankrupcy, the club was as disunited as one could imagine, managers were going in and out on an almost yearly basis, the pressure for success from the fans was enormous, and the club was basically without money for reinforcements.

Considering these difficulties, he did really well to address things. Now he’s on the brink of reaping the rewards. Well done.

1 Like

There is an awful lot more to running a football club than just picking the team every week. Rangers. big club, big fanbase. big pressure pot environment, big responsibilities to the entire staff base, could be perfect for him to learn the ropes behind the scenes a bit more…
Unfortunately, dealing with the media is real concern these days as they can make or break ya.!
When you look at Jurgen, he absolutely nails the ‘authority of personality’ trait and it is easy to see how the guys look up to him…
Look at Souness on his punditry duties… Very very difficult to comprehend his viewpoint a lot of the time… If he dealt with the LFC players in a similar way back in the day, maybe that is the first clue as to why he failed to live up to expectation.
Plenty of learning curve examples for Stevie to absorb at the moment…
The last thing we need in the next year or two, is captain fantastic clouding the memory of his playing days like Souness with a shitstorm of a management stint…
Rafa will be next… to play out his swansong of attacking football never before seen.! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah i agree with people saying it’s to early for Stevie to take over the as club manager. but we have the best manager we could possibly wish for at the moment, so still plenty of time for Stevie to learn the ropes.
Perfect example of rushing someone into the managers to soon was Lampard at Chelsea.

I think @Hope.in.your.heart might be a bit to long looking 5-10 years for Stevie to learn the ropes, i would think more like 4 or 5 years. maybe even do a year or two under Jurgen if he is still doing well where ever he is at that point, Wether that be at Rangers or at another club.

Good shout and that rebuilding might actually be part of the appeal. Get to stamp his authority and ideas onto an eager squad he gets to mold.

But at the moment I agree fully with @Mascot, Gerrard was an emotional player, playing on instincts mostly and without thinking. Since he’s taken over at Rangers he has thrown his players under the bus far too often for my liking. Has happened less this season but is the because of experience or because Rangers have been so dominant.

His record in Europe is pretty good. If he can get CL footie next season and make some form of positive impression then the ambitious clubs in England will be watching closely.

Feel he needs at least one more club that is competing in a more competitive league and has European football before he can be even considered.

1 Like

Think the secret for Stevie is that he is capable of moulding a team that is both suitable for domestic and European competition.
Jurgen has proved it can work in the last couple of years, that was of course, until the majority of premier teams evolved and adapted to playing eleven men behind the ball week in week out…!
In the Premiership the message has gone out there, stifle the way Liverpool teams play and hope to keep the score down and limit goals against.
In Europe they haven’t had the amount of practice required on a consistent enough basis so LFC can still get at them and rip them apart…
To me, Brenda Bodgers was a manager that was scared of playing in European competition because it exposed his limitations as a coach and tactician. Instead of giving it all, he appeared to be more defeatist… (think Real Madrid game and Stevie on the bench).
In the modern game, feel that Stevie would need to curb his full throttle playing days approach and coax the best out of the players in an effort to inspire them. As opposed to browbeating them into submission like a Souness or judging by his personality on TV and in his newspaper columns, probably the way Carragher would go about managing things.
Time is on his side, let him absorb the sports science side of stuff…

My claim on this was inspired by the example of Klopp: after his playing days, he managed Mainz seven years, where he experienced huge success (first promotion to the top division in their history) before experiencing hard times as well (being relegated back in the second tier). Then he went to Dortmund, and again, experienced good and hard times galore. All in all, 14 years of practicing. When he finally moved to us, he had the perfect age and experience to take us forward (and God, did we need it at the time!).

So, looking at Gerrard, what has he done since hanging up his playing boots? Roughly one-and-a-half years with the U18s and U19s, before going to Rangers and at the end of this season, he’ll be a little under five years of management practice.

All that led me to say that he still needs eight to ten years before coming to us. After all, we are the pinnacle, but also an absolute killer of a club to manage. So, he has all the time. Take it, get practice at other clubs, and then by all means, if the passion and drive is till there, make the big step upward to managing us. But there’s really no need to haste procedures.

3 Likes

Gerrard has an emotional connection to LFC which is unparalleled for any manager not named Jurgen Klopp, Kenny Dalglish and to a lesser extent Rafa Benitez.

That doesn’t qualify him though for the job. Whoever comes after Klopp hopefully many years from now should be cut from the same cloth, a continuation of what he’s brought and instilled to the club. That may be close to impossible because there is only one Jurgen Klopp. But there are elements of his management such as his football philosophy and his ability to delegate effectively that can be acquired. Hence, for me working under Klopp has to be a prerequisite and a few months in the Academy aren’t enough for Gerrard to leapfrog someone like Lijnders for example.

4 Likes

Most of the managers managing top teams today have spent similar amount of time managing at progressively higher/challenging levels. I think the only exception is Pep Guardiola but very few clubs have sugar daddies like City. Even that doesn’t work out for everyone, just ask Frank Lampard.

1 Like

Yes i agree with what you are saying, i was thinking of 4/5 years from now, not a total of 4/5 since hanging up his boots. So that would take him to around the 10 years of learning.

Don’t get me wrong i want Jurgen to stay for as long as possible. was just giving an opinion on when Stevie might be ready to step upto the job if Jurgen steps away after his current contract ends.

2 Likes

Stevie tonight:

“Someone who’s got four kids myself, I wanna be someone who gives people a second chance. You know, as a human being myself, I’ve made similar mistakes myself.”

Wat? :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I think a good run in European competition is the next step to prove he can take a 2 team SFL to do well with the big boys. No one will expect them to win but to do better with results and performance compared to previous scottish teams would do alot for his experience and reputation as a manager.

1 Like

And who knows, in a couple of years time, if he does well, after BR moves on, he can take over in Leicester

1 Like

[quote=“ZinedineBiscan, post:19, topic:1728, full:true”]
Not a chance, Scottish football doesn’t have the resources to allow them to compete properly in the CL. Celtic were dominant for a decade, still got nowhere in the competition and nearly bankrupted themselves trying.[/quote]

Celtic did ok and punched above their weight in the champs league under O’Neil, Strachan and Lennon during his first time in charge. Also Celtic never near bankrupted themselves chasing glory, Dermot desmont and Peter Lawwell keep the biscuit tin tightly closed at Parkhead, if anything Celtic are minted, due to the buy to sell policy they have and the cash raised from champs league football.

I just see staying in Scotland as lose-lose for Gerrard. Either he dominates again and he’s no more proven to decent-level PL clubs than he is now, or Celtic make a comeback/Rangers’ level drops and he’s less attractive a prospect than now…[/quote]

A bit disrespectful towards Rangers this, and I dont see how it is a lose lose situation for Gerrard if he stays on at Rangers. If he stays he gets the chance to win trophies, and play regularly in Europe, and he will learn to manage a huge club, with huge expectations, under alot of pressure where even a draw is seen as a disaster! (So far he has had it quite easy from the fans as expectations were low, but once the gers win a league title or a cup, the fans will expect them to win every game)
he wont get this experience at Crystal Palace…

.[/quote]
Even someone with stints at two PL clubs under his belt in Rodgers ‘only’ landed a job at a modest PL club (they were relegation candidates when he took over), so it’s hard to see Gerrard going somewhere as prestigious as that. Palace is a decent shout although as the oldest squad in the league they’re about to face a major rebuilding project…[/quote]

someone with 2 stints in the PL came to Celtic who had just won the league, and carried on winning the league for 3 seasons, but was an absolute disaster in Europe. Meanwhile, Gerrard came to the Gers, who were a mess at the time, built them up slowly with the help of Gary Mac and Micheal Beale,
got them playing decent football, and took a few scalps in Europe along the way, and is now about to win the league and guided his team to the last 16 of the Europa League. If he were to eventually leave the gers, I would hope its too a better team than 1 thats considered relegation candidates.

Beyond that, though, where could he realistically go? He’s not going to want to take on a relegation dogfight, so that rules out about half a dozen clubs at the bottom end, and for obvious reasons the Manchester clubs, us, Everton and Chelsea are out, and Arsenal are committed to Arteta. West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Southampton and Leeds are also happy with/committed to their managers. The one I’ve not mentioned is Spurs, but for some reason I can’t picture Gerrard there.[/quote]

who knows where he might end up, but his CV could read that he built up a fallen giant with a world wide support, 50,000 at each home game, and lead them to league titles and cups and to the later stages of European competitions. but i would to think he would have a few suitors of a more than decent standard.

How did that work out for Lampard?

so Gerrard options are stay at the Gers, wait till the right EPL offer comes along or go to the Championship, no brainer for me tbh

2 Likes

Championship would be a few steps back. Nothing he can learn there.

Learn how to build a squad (with limited resources) at Rangers and the Games in CL and EL are great in terms of experience.

4 Likes

As things stand - if Klopp leaves in 2024 it will be between Stevie and Pepjin.

I would love following scenario.

Klopp confirms in 2023 that he will leave in 2024.

Gerrard stays at Rangers until 2023. Wins the league again at least once in the next two seasons. Gains experience in CL/EL.

Takes a year off in 2023/24 and secretly prepares for the Job at Liverpool.

2 Likes

Gerrard with his first trophy as manager. Well done, lad. :clap::muscle::v::pray:

3 Likes

Love that reply.

8 Likes

Fantastic achievement to win the title with this Rangers club. When he came in, he was facing an uphill battle, and now he finishes champion, twenty points ahead of the pack for the time being. Well done Stevie!

As for these stupid rumours that he could be in for the Liverpool job, here is his answer:

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard says it is his dream to become Liverpool manager but that he hopes Jurgen Klopp remains in charge “for many years”.

Liverpool fans devoted to Jurgen Klopp, says Rangers boss Steven Gerrard - BBC Sport

Klopp’s side have suffered six-straight home defeats, a run that has put a top-four league finish in jeopardy.

Gerrard meanwhile has guided Rangers to their first Scottish Premiership title in 10 years, a feat that has fuelled talk he may one day manage Liverpool.

“The Liverpool fans don’t want me to be the manager,” Gerrard, 40, told ITV.

"They want Jurgen Klopp to continue to be the Liverpool manager - and I’m totally with all of them.

"We shouldn’t talk about this. We have one of the best managers leading our club at the minute. I love him.

“I’ve got a job here. I don’t think it’s helpful to talk about this and I hope Jurgen stays at Liverpool for many years.”

These are brilliant quotes. He has obviously matured a lot in the last years. Again: well done! :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Stevie said it nicely.It is Klopps job as long as he wants it.
After that ,who knows,Stevie would like it at some point and so would a lot of us.
Meantime more experience in management can’t go wrong.

5 Likes