Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Pass completion is a weird stat, Bajcetic to a certain extent proved it yesterday, I think he was 76% but was any of his passing incorrect the only one I can think of was into Salah but that connected, might not always work out but to me he often than not attempts the right pass.

1 Like

Yeah. Not just a weird stat but a bad stat. It points to something relevant, but not by itself

3 Likes

Assists is another useless stat. You can put the ball on a plate for your teammate- if he hoofs it into row Z, that’s an assist you have not got to your name through no fault of your own.

3 Likes

They’re not ‘bad’, it’s just information.

Stats only become ‘bad’ if they’re applied incorrectly or their limitations aren’t acknowledged.

5 Likes

Also if you attempt more risky passes, like Trent, the completion is going to be lower than Fab passing it back or 2 feet sideways

1 Like

Yup I know at times in the past few years some have bad 90% but they’ve only passed sideways. It is telling from Bellingham that the attributes are there.

The lads who are doing data driven recruitment (properly, not you Comolli) don’t look at a solitary stat and start splashing the cash, they combine the lot and make decisions based on all the information available.

A high pass completion with lots of progressive passing/long balls completed? The guy is probably a good passer of the ball. A lower pass completion but loads of chances created? Pass completion probably isn’t an issue.

It’s not a useless stat at all, it just doesn’t answer all of the questions on its own. With context it’s plenty useful.

5 Likes

Bugbear: it’s a data point, not a statistic.

1 Like

Its actually pretty impressive to still have above 80% pass completion bearing in mind he completes 7.57 progressive passes per game.

He has dramatically improved since last season. Last year he was a good player, this year he’s one of Europe’s best.

2 Likes

Yup I usually seek a flaw or something but you can’t with this guy will be bitter sweet if he doesn’t come but I do think we have to prepare for it and hope he flops wherever he ends up as it’s going be a club we dislike.

3 Likes

I think City will find it a bit harder going in the market with these changes hanging over their heads.

1 Like

You’d have to think these charges would also give Bellingham pause for thought about picking City.

4 Likes

They may have trouble signing contracts with slightly sore wrists after the slapping.

:roll_eyes:

The one I fear is Madrid. If we don’t do our legwork well enough, a gentlemen’s agreement between LFC and Borussia Dortmund & Bellingham’s Dad ain’t gonna get Bellingham to Anfield.

If we build on the win against Everton, continue to show some fight, and also get a few players back, we might yet make something of this dog turd of a season.

In turn, that will let Bellingham know he would be joining a club with some fight, that is once again on the up, and that the bad season was a blip, for myriad reasons.

If we continue to have rather too much of the sort of thing we showed against Brighton, Brentford and Wolves, that would give cause for concern for anyone who joins, not just a player of his profile with his pick of clubs.

Colors to the mast time:
Bellingham will join us.

As for what we do this season it is anyone’s guess, but hopefully we see some momentum build and give top four a real go, and as for the CL, you never know!

2 Likes

How did he play today?

Well. :+1:

1 Like

Not a rumour but Emre Can with a sliding goal line clearance. Doesn’t put a hair out of place. Perfection.

Had a good game from the little I saw.

Thought it was worth mentioning!

2 Likes

My boy ʒan is always worth mentioning.

Mr Bajcetic has probably helped us in our quest for Bellingham quite a bit, I reckon 2 months ago we were looking like needing 3 midfielders it had got that bad. With young Stefans emergence as a very capable starter that is now 2 midfielders, meaning we can probably throw a little bit more money at the Bellingham deal.

Imagine the cost of trying to find a player of his quality who can basically cover all 3 midfield positions, easily £30-40mil I’d say.

1 Like