Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

It was solely because he was not getting the games he wanted and expected. He even had a clause in his contract about exit ramps he could use if he failed to play a certain number of games. The year after Pep left was a difficult one for Barca, but they knowingly failed to meet those thresholds. Had they have played him he’d have stayed.

1 Like

His pal is going to Barca, he might follow. Let’s see.

1 Like

His mate Virgil may well be in his ear too I’m sure.

In terms of his potential moving on - whether or not it’s complete fabrication, apparently he’s happy and is holding talks with Klopp and co.

So that means, in the coming couple of days, he will be sat at a table with a beaming smile, holding a pen over a stack of random paper, pretending to sign a new contract for media. Whether that’s with a Liverpool shirt on or a Barca shirt on is what we will need to wait and see. I’m hoping for the former of course. He may well stay on his current terms, and leave in Jan for a fee, or the summer for free.

Whatever does happen, I am relaxed and comfortable that the club will make the right decision - we have no real reason not to trust Edwards, Klopp and FSG - unless ofcourse you want the club to be throwing money around without a care in the world - in which case, regardless of what they do, you’re not happy.

1 Like

I dont blame him if he wants to move on.
Won everything thats worth winning nowadays with us and in final year.
Im sure he goes with every LFC fans blessing for what he has contributed.

1 Like

Has he made it public he is staying yet?

According to Sky he wants to stay. So he’ll probably be a Barca player in the morning.

4 Likes

I’m just really hoping Gini stays, and we get Thiago too. We really do have to look at different formations now, too many clubs will have spent ages studying our game plans with ideas of how to nulify us. Thiago will bring so much to ouir midfield, I am desperate for us to bring him in asap.

3 Likes

Klopp didn’t sound too convincing in the press conference just now Re the situation with Gini. He’s not signing a new contract is he? I just don’t understand why he would want to leave when he is such a big part of such a successful team.

1 Like

two possible reasons. Fancies a change and this might be the last opportunity he has to sign a big contract.

3 Likes

At his age, contract issues are often about length of contract and guaranteed income (how do you protect your income during a period when you might be used less often and lesser able to his personal performance targets) than about a pure desire to move on. This one has generally been reported as there being a desire on both sides to find an agreement, but they still need find the sweet spot that makes both sides happy, and may well not reach it.

5 Likes

Yes, and of course if that’s what he desires then good luck to him. Maybe I’m naive but I just would have thought that being a regular starter in a team challenging for the league and Europe is pretty much the pinnacle for a footballer, isn’t that what you dream about when your a little boy?

Edwards also handles the stats.

1 Like

He is currently a regular starter. However, even his greatest game in a liverpool shirt was one in which he only came on as a sub and spoke repeatedly afterwards about being “angry” about that. He is also going to be 30 before christmas, so how many of those years that he is signing for will he continue being a regular starter? With our famously performance driven contracts, what will that do to his earnings over those final peak years of his career?

8 Likes

Doesn’t that also describe Barcelona? Where he can probably earn more, live in a nicer environment for him and his family whilst also playing for a coach that gives him a more fun, attacking, free role that will help him improve his standing and reputation in the game?

2 Likes

Barcelona who? Second tier team at best. ; )

1 Like

Its been my feeling throughout this speculation on Gini, that at the root of it, his discontent lies in a perceived undervaluing of him by the club. This likely originates from him being converted to inside left from Am, and that whenever there is rotation, mostly blooding Keita, Gini was the makeweight. You can compound this with the stage he is at in his career, with this contract being his last substantial one, and him wanting to maximise the return on what value he still holds, not that he will want for money. But it all pales into an undervaluing of what he provides to the club.

4 Likes

‚When your teammates hear that you sign that contract’

3 Likes

Klopp would have seemed more upbeat today over it.

2 Likes

makes sense to sell him now and get some cash rather than nothing next year. hes been decent for us over the years, has been a top pro, but i would love us to get someone with a bit more guile in midfield. thiago would be the top choice obviously but i read today erikson might be leaving inter already, would be a good second choice.

3 Likes

Rumours that there’ll be an announcement soon that Gini is staying.

4 Likes