Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

Digusting, but it is how it is. He’s a kid, comments are also probably mainly from kids or people acting like ones. Most probably coming from the same people who were quick to praise him over the top and say that it’s time to move Trent into midfield. You have to learn to ignore it or not let it bother you. If you can’t, then it’s better not to use it and take a break. I’m sure someone from the club and/or close to him will have a chat and he’ll be back. He’s not the first and unfortunarely certainly not the last who will go through this.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Completely agree, hope he shines tomorrow …they can go do one

1 Like

Good reaction from him, I thought this was his best game in a while. Arsenal focused to attack a lot down his side with 3 left footers there, not often that you see Pepe on the left. Rhys also did well, better than against Lincoln I feel. So well done to both Williamses.

4 Likes

Can’t believe he’s getting stick after last night.

4 Likes

I thought he was poor myself actually but that’s probably more down to what we expect of our fullbacks rather than any massive slight on him. Were a few occasions when he was just out wide of the area with the ball played out to him. In normal times, its one touch out of Trent’s feet, head up and lots of chances created. With him, unfortunately, that’s not on and we lose so much of what makes us so threatening.

As an aside, I’ve seen people question the logic of bringing on Robertson when in need of a goal. Andy is a major part of our creative threat and its not by accident that the previous two seasons running our highest assists, and some of the highest in the entire league, came from both our fullbacks. Without Andy and Trent we’re shorn of that and any replacement is also going to be viewed in the light of these two stars and almost inevitably fall short. Unless your name is James Milner, of course.

9 Likes

This nails it for me. The Robertson who first arrived from Hull and Trent in his first season and a half would have both been viewed as nowhere near good enough for us in comparison to themselves as they are now. Truth is we have the best pair of full backs in the sport. In Williams and Tsimikas we have real good back up players who can offer something similar so the team can play many of the same ways without too much of a problem. I don’t see a problem personally. Just we can’t expect the same standard. We just need similar style.

5 Likes

Neco didn’t do too bad per se, but for me, he has too many touches when a 1st-time pass was on and the opposition can then press him, getting his head down because of his initial decision-making process.

I feel he has the quality but needs help from the coaching staff through various phases of play

5 Likes

One stat not included here is that he lost possession 27 times. He was on the ball a lot which accounts for a lot of the stats quoted by @Tactical Times but he was definitely targeted last night when in possession and he didn’t cope with it well. He was swamped every time he got the ball, especially first half. He’s only 19 of course and its impossible for him to replace Trent but the best you can say about last night’s performance is that it was a learning experience for him.

3 Likes

The Tactical Times doesn’t know what he’s talking about, respectfully speaking. He was gushing over Maddison’s performance against us for example.

Neco didn’t have a good game against Atalanta, he took far too long on the ball. Definitely a weakness that has been exposed since moving up a level and something he needs to work on.

Atalanta pressed well and Neco was up against Gosens who is an excellent player, so there’s mitigation there, but it is an obvious area that needs improvement.

1 Like

This reminds me of when Jordan took over the captaincy, fans constantly moaned expecting him to be and play like stevie , probably the same fans who only a couple of seasons ago said Trent wasn’t good enough and was our weakest link and was targeted every game, give the kid a chance Jurgen is and see what happens. :clap:

5 Likes

Good lord, that kid hasn’t even clocked 1000 mins. Can we give him another 1000 mins before starting to judging him???

5 Likes
12 Likes

My concern is probably the same with Trent at some times, he commits himself too far forward and it leaves gaps. Robertson for some reason always is able to get back it seems but maybe TAA and Neco push that yard or two too much.

2 Likes

Could be as you describe or two alternatives?

1; Tactical instructions, Mane doesn’t push quite as high as Salah so less room for the left back to fill in the attacking shape.

2; Defensive cover from Mane is more than from Salah so it allows the LB that much more time and comfort to always be where needed.

Or maybe combination of both of them along with what you describe?

1 Like
5 Likes

Is fucking right Adam.

He’s getting criticism because he can’t run a game from full back like Trent does.

He was fine against Atalanta.

3 Likes

This and he lacks speed, something you can not teach. He will never become a regular for us I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I would say he is on with Trent for speed?

2 Likes

Scott Jones can get him some im told. :smiley:

3 Likes