Rhys WILLIAMS: 2021/22

Slow in a foot race compared to Bergwijn and Son, that’s hardly a fair fight.

7 Likes

Haha yeah but Hendo was steaming past and got back to cover.

I guess my comparrison is Van Dijk and Gomez who are utter freaks.

2 Likes

I’m absolutely elated about it. Kids at this age will make mistakes, that’s what will make them. But there are enough anonymous internet thugs who would have love to tear into him.

2 Likes

He might get more games now even in the league.

I don’t think we ever brought Phillips in with the idea of getting a first team player. He was free from a nearby club, we were probably well informed and thought let’s get him, work with him and move him on or use him as emergency option here and there if we need him. Maybe a bit like a Kevin Stewart. Of course, surprises are possible, but with Nat you do see why he’s in such situation soon being 24 years of age.

Rhys is getting nice experience now, seems also like a normal kid willing to learn. Out of the current young CB’s at the club + Phillips (he’s not young, but inexperienced, that’s the thing)… he’s probably top right now. Nat might get the odd game if we’re playing against someone like Haller, but Rhys could maybe also deal with him.

So we’ll see what happens with Nat in January, we might even sell him or at least he moves on a free next summer.

1 Like

So Rhys has had his PL debut, and for me he did well.
As for any youngster who is thrown in, it’s not important how good they are. If our manager trusts them they aren’t that bad.
Most important imo is how they develop and how quick they learn. Curtis Jones for example.

4 Likes

No loan for Rhys.
Too important for us at the moment and rightly so.

3 Likes

He has a good built up play - and that’s probably what Klopp likes about him.

His decision making is awful (going down too often and too early) - but he can work on that.

He is too slow - and that’s the reason he has no long term future here.

5 Likes

To be fair to him, he played the Conference league last season. Looking too far ahead makes no sense at the moment, but I don’t think he will merit a place as 4th choice CB next season. Best scenario will be to secure him a quality loan move. For the rest long term, we’ll see how he develops.

2 Likes

Rhys had a terrible game, big deal.

Though I was furious, I like this lad. Maybe he doesn’t have much/any future with us (due to his speed) but he has talent and will go far.

Keep your chin up, lad.

2 Likes

The guy can only shine in a system where the teams play with their backs to their own box no space whatsoever in their backs. In short, he has no future with us.

5 Likes

Felt sorry for the lad. Done OK in previous games but was cruelly exposed here and his confidence will have taken a hammering. Agree with others in that he’s not of the standard required for us and never likely to be . Absolutely not his fault. We’ve no other option and he deserves sympathy today, not stick.

3 Likes

I certainly hope the Twitter snowflakes aren’t abusing the lad this morning. No need for that.

Personally I have a lot of sympathy for him. He’s been literally dropped in at the deep end. Tough league, maybe the toughest in the world, high pace football and a high defensive line with full backs that don’t really defend and a missing midfield.

If Lovren were in his place yesterday we’d be raging about something from him that’s for certain.

7 Likes

To be honest his last game showed concerns, he really shouldn’t be starting for us again this season.

2 Likes

Not the first, nor the last Liverpool youngster that I’ve terribly overrated. That said, the jump from non-league to Champions League is almost unheard of, it reminded me of Inglethorpe’s quip about how young players need to make about 150 appearances before they can be taken into consideration for Liverpool’s first team. Rhys will likely be heading out to a League One or League Two club this summer and hopefully he will build up his career and self-confidence from there. Regardless of his errors in FA Cup games, I believe there is a nice player in him, one that will have to improve the mental and tactical aspects of his game to make up for his lack of pace and that learning process will likely take a few years.

2 Likes

He is well too young at this moment to be considered, shame he didn’t get to leave it at the CL experience and then go out loan, he has looked out of depth previously but yesterday he looked horribly exposed.

It was kind of sad, then I’ve got a knee jerker who I talk to who wants to write his career off.

1 Like

The lad is pretty young and still has time to improve many aspects of his game. I think he will notch-up over 1000 minutes at premier level and that’s very good for this age.

I think he will be loaned to a top-half Championship or bottom-half Premier League club next season . If that loan works out well, he will bring in some nice dough.

2 Likes

When centre backs don’t have a decent turn of pace (like Virgil or Gomez), then they have to be spot on with positional play. That’s where he is lacking right now.

There is no reason he can’t make it here, but it’s all a bit soon for him, and I feel for him. Lets hope he learns and grows from these experiences. If not, he will leave Liverpool as a better player, and hopefully go on and have a decent career.

Not a write off yet in my book.

What I would like to know is, is Sepp van de berg progressing well? Why hasn’t he had a look in?

4 Likes

Koumetio seemed to be Klopps favourite in the beginning then he changed to Williams. Billy is much quicker and a good passer but makes silly errors .

2 Likes

So he won’t feature again this season.

Maybe for the u23’s. :smiley:

1 Like