The Run In Thread

Its such a perfect setup.

LC know that the only result that essentially takes it out of their hands is a loss. A draw is ok, and a win is perfect. So do they play not to lose? I remember the last time BR should have done that, and it sucked for us. I don’t think he knows how to play for a draw.

CH know that only a win keeps it in their own hands from a top 4 perspective. At the end of the day CH have two shots of “in their own hands”, tomorrow and the CL final. The current CH setup seems to be a defense first type of setup, especially against teams like MC, so who knows if they will attack LC, or be cagy about it. CH also know that losing so many times before the CL is not good at all.

It will be a fascinating game tomorrow.

Hope Spurs don’t treat the remaining games as ‘every game is a final’.

5 Likes

Brendan’s default is as a safety first manager.

Yeah I’m wondering if Leicester go into it as a do not lose.

Guess we will see today.

All three clubs have it in their own hands but that will change tonight.

The Chelsea-Leicester game is going to be really interesting. I think Leicester will play like they always do against the bigger teams - they will sit back, keep things tight and look to break and nick a goal. I reckon it won’t be too dissimilar to the FA-cup final but I think it will be edgier and more niggly. Vardy seems to have been quiet for a while seems to be due a goal… and on the other hand, though there aren’t any natural finishers in the Chelsea side, they will hope that one of their chances converts. I wonder if Chelsea will go with Giroud and have Werner and Another running off him and have more crosses in general…?

p.s. as far as expectations for the result, the game is sort of like having Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot hanging from a tree inside a big sac and people taking turns with a baseball bat to try and hit the “right” one…

1 Like

Since when??? My memory is that we made KK’s Newcastle look conservative.

2 Likes

Leicester win, we win, we go 4th with one game to play. Simple really now.

1 Like

Agree with everyone that a 2-3 goal win for LC tonight would be gold for us. Provided we do the job at Burnley, I would prefer not to go through the life-shortening stress of our team scrambling for 47 second half minutes clinging to a 1-0 lead. Win on the final day would guarantee it. But a draw may be enough in that scenario.

Fuck, when I think of it, this is still tough, even when the two opponents are Burnley and CP. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I don’t see chelsea losing this one.

1 Like

I think the interesting thing is that a draw produces more scenarios that will see us qualify and so seems the best option. However, the sceanrios produced by a Leicester win gives us a scenario that is more bullet proof (we an still qualify with a win and a draw even with a Chelsea win on the final day).

Im not sure Im even going to watch the game this afternoon given my inability to decide what result I want.

5 Likes

Roy will leave Palace after our game on Sunday.

2 Likes

Look at his time at Swansea, and much of it here. He went gung ho because it was working with what we had with Suarez and Studge where here but it wasn’t his default - and he had difficulty railing back from it once it started (Compare how we played until November that season and how we were playing in the New Year.

Look at the players he wanted to bring in…

I think this makes it more appealing to watch!

By comparison the Burnley game tomorrow is already making me stressed.

8 Likes

Ashley Williams? :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree. Glad it’s not the reverse with us playing first. Else both games could become stressful.

3 Likes

I was going through the different permutations and while initially it seemed the opposite, I think I’m now settling on rooting for a Chelsea win in this game.

1. We win 6 points in our games. Apparently in this scenario, Chelsea win is the worst, because 4th may come to be between LFC and Leicester on GD, but in that case we have advantage and I don’t see Leicester winning at Spurs by 3+ goals.

2. We win 4 points and end up on 67.

a. Leicester win against Chelsea. Leicester are on 69 and Chelsea 64 before their last games. We are counting on Chelsea not winning at Villa or us having better GD than Chelsea (we are currently on +21, end up on minimum +22, they are currently +22)

b. Leicester and Chelsea draw. Leicester are on 67, Chelsea on 65 before their last games. We are counting on Leicester losing at Spurs (and we beat them on GD) or Chelsea drawing at Villa.

c. Chelsea win against Leicester. Leicester are on 66, Chelsea on 67 before their last games. We are counting on Leicester drawing at Spurs (and we beat them on GD) or Chelsea losing at Villa

Since I think chances are Chelsea will win at Villa and by more than 1 goal if they need to, I think if we are to win and draw our last two games, our best option is Chelsea to win against Leicester and then hope for Spurs getting at least a draw against Leicester on the final day of the season.
Leicester winning tonight by a few goals also is a good results (maybe even better), but I just don’t see it, I think if Leicester wins, it will be by 1 goal.

Also if we get just 3 points from our last two games, I think our best hope is a Spurs win on the final day i.e. Leicester winning 0 points from their last two games.

All the stuff from his time here aside (it’s not like he wanted to fail, the whole club was in a terrible state when he was here), hope he gets a nice round of reception from our set of fans as well. I’m pretty sure he will anyway.

7 Likes

If we qualify for CL, he can have a key to the city!

10 Likes

I’m not fond of Hodgson, not at all. But I think he is a gentleman and I respect him for that. Yes, a warm farewell at Anfield would be a nice gesture from our part.

10 Likes

Agreed, his tenure here was poor but he deserves a warm hand for sure.

1 Like