The Run In Thread

2018 - 2020 I realised just how irrelevant the ‘race for the top 4’ is when your team is actually challenging for the title. All those teams scrapping it out for the minor places. Never dreamed we would be back down to this level already after the last two seasons and the way we started this one.

Having said that we were so bad a few weeks ago I thought we’d struggle to finish in the top half of the table. At least now we’ve found some sort of form. Three successive wins and just a glimmer of hope for CL next season. I don’t think we’ll make it but we’ve given ourselves a chance. If we do manage it now it’s going to seem like a hell of an achievement after everything we’ve been through.

9 Likes

I’m expecting only WHU (away to Newcastle) and Spurs (away to Everton) to drop points in next round of games. :nauseated_face:

After this past weekend, it’s kind of difficult to see past West Ham. They have a piss easy run in with their only moderately tough game left being Chelsea. I’m starting to think our best chance is not based on making up 3 points in 7 games on West Ham, but in making up 4 points on Leicester who finish the season with Utd Chelsea and Spurs.

2 Likes

@Limiescouse
Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea and West Ham all have 7 games left - pretty sure that not more than one of those will more than 5 games.

Everton is difficult to predict because they have 9 games left.

Thing with West Ham is they are unknown, will teams adapt a different way to playing against them now they’ve joined the big boys in the race at the top?

Chelsea are also an odd one, they’ve draw some very odd games under Tuchel at the end of the day it’s how we perform.

You say West Ham’s run in is easy but it’s about as easy as ours would be and no ones taking ours for granted, there is something gettable against a team that lets leads slide like they have done. Only takes one team to park the bus and their 7 have a few of them.

Not saying they won’t do it but plenty teams have to play each other.

Wrote yesterday that Spurs are out of the Top4 race.

Would say that Everton will also be out if they don’t beat Spurs on Friday.

1 Like

Updated run in

1. Leicester +1pts 7 games left GD+18
    United, Chelsea, Tottenham
  2. West Ham 0pts 7 games left GD+12
    Chelsea, Everton
  3. Chelsea -1pt 7 games left GD+19
    West Ham, City, Leicester
  4. Liverpool -3pts 7 games left GD+16
    United
  5. Tottenham -6pts 7 games left GD+17
    Everton, Leicester
  6. Everton -7pts 8 games left GD+3
    Tottenham, West Ham, City

United: GP 31, Points 63, GD 27
vs. Burnley
@ Leeds
vs. Liverpool
@ Villa
vs. Leicester
vs. Fulham
@ Wolves

Leicester: GP 31, Points 56, GD 18
vs. WBA
vs. Palace
@ Southampton
vs. Newcastle
@ United
@ Chelsea
vs. Spurs

West Ham: GP 31, Points 55, GD 12
@ Newcastle
vs. Chelsea
@ Burnley
vs. Everton
@ BHA
@ WBA
vs. Southampton

Chelsea: GP 31, Points 54, GD 19
vs. BHA
@ West Ham
vs. Fulham
@ City
vs. Arsenal
vs. Leicester
@ Villa

Liverpool: GP 31, Points 52, GD 16
@ Leeds
vs. Newcastle
@ United
vs. Southampton
@ WBA
@ Burnley
vs. Palace

Spurs: GP 31, Points 49, GD 17
@ Everton
vs. Southampton
vs. Sheffield
@ Leeds
vs. Wolves
vs. Villa
@ Leicester

Everton: GP 30, Points 48, GD 3
vs. Spurs
@ Arsenal
vs. Villa
@ West Ham
vs. Sheffield
vs. Wolves
@ City

3 Likes

Im at the stage of the season where I start making spread sheets to make projections

2 Likes

West Brom fighting for their lives and moving from having no chance to a glimmer of hope. Might make them put up a good fight against Leicester next game.

1 Like

Rarely do I look ahead at the draw but thanks @Iftikhar that gives me confidence. Leicester under real pressure so should be a tight finish.

Is it possible you finish 4th and miss out? Arsenal win EL and Chelsea win CL but finish 5th?

I guess we just dust Madrid, Chelsea and whoever and Win CL and problem solved. Easy.

Associations can have a max five participants, so if teams outside the top four win the CL and the EL, then fourth place misses out.

2 Likes

Comedy Central Lol GIF

1 Like

I would say if we win 6 of our last 7 we probably sneak into the top 4. On form though that’s a tough ask. There are a few head-to-head battles for clubs vying for top 4 that could magically pave a path for us or could shut the door. I would have said third position was out of reach but Leicester’s last few matchdays could be nasty for them. Chelsea on their fixture list with a couple of cup comps will have a difficult time of it. West Ham have a very favourable draw but I can’t shake the thought that they are West Ham and they will drop the ball in surprising fashion.

The biggest question is not what our table neighbours will do over the coming month but whether we can present the big balls and finish the season strongly. Undecided still. Its still nice to be in this position considering a month ago it looked well over.

1 Like

Yeah we need to be nearly perfect, I think 6 wins would be enough and every season with Klopp I would expect we could do that with those fixtures but it’s a tough ask this season.

End of each weekend let’s see where we are…freak results are out there and not just for us, let’s hope ours are finished.

2 Likes

Wrote it before. From us, Leicester, Chelsea and West Ham i can’t see more than one team to win 5 or more.

Pretty sure that 5 wins and 2 draws would bring us Top4.

But man, I just don’t feel confident when reading that our next two games are on Monday night and Saturday early.

Saturday early is only an issue when you play Wednesday, we beat Palace 7-0 Saturday early.

2 Likes

I think that’s a slam dunk. I also think it’s beyond this version of this side.

2 Likes

The way this season is going, I don’t look beyond the next game.

2 Likes