The TAN Alternative World Cup

This tournie is dodgier than Qatar.

I went for Argentina anyhow :rofl:

Boycotting some of it to send a message to the corrupt organiser.

1 Like

That might be me J
Believing a certain team to be superior to the rest for certain reasons, I have cast just the one and only vote for them. Meaning I have resisted the temptation for any tactical voting within or across the other games, and by default, the winners of these games are chosen by the rest of the panel that might be better placed to pick between them…
Hope this is not perceived to be disrespecting the poll as such or the competition in general… for I think it has been a brilliant concept and stirred up some enthusiastic reviewing of these teams across each differing era…!
If my team gets knocked out then obviously I would then go with my second / third choice…

1 Like

Erm… obviously they were going to get that vote regardless?

Okay well the alternative is I hold onto the vote and withdraw if it means the competition is fairer… Either way not in it to spoil it for everyone else… besides… not as though I am playing outside of the rules… or is it :man_shrugging:

They called tactics C :0)
Just doing what I can to get the best team IMO to the final… that way it might bring more attention to those less enamoured of them
If it was Jurgen applying them everyone would be praising him :smiley:

I’ll open the semi finals now, to allow people more time to make up their minds.

Three of my personal top four have made this stage, with the exception being Brazil 1982, who lost to Hungary 1954 in a contest which would have been worthy of the final itself.

• Hungary 1954
  • France 1998

0 voters

• Brazil 1970
  • Netherlands 1974

0 voters

Voting will close at the end of Wednesday’s clash between Morocco and France.

2 Likes

Quick reminder that voting on the semi finals closes in approximately 24 hours’ time, at the end of tomorrow’s Morocco v France clash.

2 Likes

Puskas Vrs Pele Final :0)

2 Likes

Are we getting a 3rd place playoff?

Sure.

• France 1998
  • Netherlands 1974

0 voters

I’ll close this one on Saturday morning and open the final then.

Mods-I can’t edit the thread title. Is there a maximum number of edits allowed? :thinking:

1 Like

Quick reminder that voting on the third place playoff will close tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

More disinformation and sneaky trickery there so only the approved votes are registered. Just how much have the Qataris paid you to bend the results in this way? @corruptoldgitwithanewyacht

Voting on the third place playoff has now closed: congratulations to Netherlands 1974 for claiming the bronze medal.

And now the big one… In my opinion, it’s the “right” final as, according to the entirely unofficial COG World Rankings, these are the two greatest international teams of all time.

I’m sure everyone has read up on the two finalists by now; in summary, the Magical Magyars lost just one game out of sixty nine played in a six-year period, and it’s widely agreed that the West Germans (who Hungary had beaten 8-3 in the group stage) were the recipients of some generous decisions in the final; Brazil 1970 dazzled everyone with their flair and attacking élan and brought their silky skills to a global audience through the modern miracle of television. They romped through the Mexico tournament, winning all six of their games with an aggregate score of 19-7.

I would hope that the TAN membership isn’t lowbrow enough to reduce it to a “Puskas v Pele” clash, which is what the media would almost certainly do, but The Galloping Major is credited with 806 goals in 793 competitive games, including 84 in 85 appearances for Hungary; Pele scored 732 goals in 792 career appearances, of which 77 came in 92 matches for his country.

The greatest match in the history of football kicks off now…

• Hungary 1954
  • Brazil 1970

0 voters

I’ll close the voting at 19:00 on Monday.

5 Likes

Quick reminder that voting closes in 24 hours’ time.

1 Like

It’s just gone to a draw! Is there a penalty shootout?

With less than 10 minutes remaining to voting cut-off time, both teams have identical votes… 50% each.
Being the No.1 fan of the 1970 Brazil Team still having my vote to cast I guess it might just be enough to get them over the finishing line at this late stage… :thinking:
However, having refrained from voting during the semi-final stage, and with nothing to choose between these pair of excellent sides…
I’m thinking it only fair to withhold my vote to leave the teams tied and allow COG to call the casting vote or leave it as a draw… Either way, either team is a worthy winner IMHO… Choose well COG :0)

2 Likes

So it’s a draw, but only because @sandsoftime didnt vote. I suppose that makes Brazil 1970 the moral winners.

Thanks to all who participated throughout. :+1:

6 Likes

Excellent competition that… :+1:
Well Done COG

2 Likes