The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Could have had 4 if not for the handball in the Chelsea match…

2 Likes

He’s about as left foot dominant as Salah is from what I’ve seen. Don’t think it’s a big issue really. Sterling could barely kick it with his dominant foot when he broke through, game intelligence, speed etc is more important.

1 Like

actually as a team, we do not do well in conversion rate. We were 12th overall last season. We are 9th thus far in this season. One statistic sticks out. We had the highest number of shots on goal last season and even this season thus far, but yet our conversion rate is only 12th and 9th respectively. This tells us something how clinical we are in finishing. I have always said that our forwards especially Salah, thrives on putting themselves in scoring positions as many times as possible so as to score compared to clinical strikers who might not need as many chances to put one away. And that is possibly because we have to note that none of our forwards are traditional strikers and we have to keep creating chances to ensure that we score in a game. And I have also mentioned this is something our forwards can improve, despite already being world class, scoring more often with lesser chances. Don’t get me wrong, they are already world class and possibly the best attack we have seen in decades, but there is absolutely also nothing wrong to say they can yet still improve on.

4 Likes

I’m not sold on Bowen although I recognise his stats are good. Very two footed, good balance, just think he’s similar to Jota but not as good (or quick).

I liked Toney, and on Saturday’s showing would be an immediate upgrade on Origi and Minamino and also on Firmino of the last 12 months. Salah, Toney and Mané would present considerable problems for every team.

Adeyemi looks a decent prospect as well and at 19 a good age. I doubt we’d add two mid-twenties to our forward line if Salah and Mané were still here. A mix of Salah (30), Mané (30), Toney (26), Jota (25), Adeyemi (20), Elliott (19), Gordon (17) would be pretty good. Could see Sarr coming in if Mané was to have left.

Saint-Maximin, wow. I’m not sure what we’d do with him! He’s brilliant but untamed. Could he learn to press effectively as part of our system?

2 Likes

Just a quick question (probably for Illok, or any other locals who watch the young players) a mate was saying to watch a YouTube vid of the “polish Messi” and I was pleased to see him in our colours etc, but what’s the deal? Anyone honestly think he’ll make it here ?

1 Like
1 Like

I forgot about Adeyemi actually, he is quite the talent. I read we had him tour when he was younger! Do you think we’d go for Toney and him?

2 Likes

Haaland has send Luis Suarez’ son a signed shirt.

Benjamin Suarez was born in Liverpool.

Haaland to Liverpool confirmed!!!

4 Likes

I genuinely don’t know but I think that age mix is more likely than two forward additions both in their mid 20s, particularly if 2 of the main 3 are still here.

I’m torn between losing either Mané or Salah next summer. I feel Mané is more easily replaced, stylistically at least. But Salah might be the one more itching for a move…hmmm.

I don’t think we need to replace either of them with a ‘big’ name if they left (Haaland, Mbappe for example). There are players that could be ready to make the move up, as with Jota. I know we paid £40m for him but I don’t think anyone fully expected him to make the leap he has done but clearly people at the club did.

Sarr could be similar. Toney as well. I’m not sure ASM has another level to go to, he’s already as effective as he’s ever likely to be because Newcastle build everything around him, which we wouldn’t. Similar to Grealish at Villa. Adeyemi could be ready for a leap though. There’ll be loads of others.

1 Like

Excellent. Just bought my son a Liverpool shirt with Haaland on the back for Suarez to sign :+1:

2 Likes

Where has the Adeyemi hype come from?

He’s gone from a player nobody had heard about to one everyone rates. He’s scored a handful of goals in Austria and an international goal against Armenia.

Not doubting he’s a decent talent, just wondering when anyone has seen him play.

3 Likes

I’ve seen compilations and his stats are excellent, but as you say this is the same league as Taki…

Bayern are interested, so I guess that adds a little bit of weight.

also, Mane

1 Like

Mane proved himself in the Premiership, huge difference.

So I do get ILLOK’s point, it’s very rare we go to “source” i.e. the player showing promise in Austria, we let them move to a stronger league and then pay extra to buy them further along in their development.

We should buy him and then loan him to a Bundesliga club or lower PL club (although we couldn’t do the latter in the same window).

1 Like

We may be looking to move away slightly from that process now if we are committing ourselves to Mane and Salah being here for the next few years. The difficulty in raising money from transfer sales the last couple of years may have also got the board thinking that bringing in players earlier may a better decision. We can see the positive impact Jones, Elliot and Trent have had on the team.

I know the youngster had a trial or something at Anfield a short while ago so he has been on the radar a while. I think one of the twitter bods has been talking him up for the last 4 months or so.

3 Likes

As Haaland is doing in German League.

So Austrian League isn’t the problem, the specific player has to be closely looked into.

Also, I don’t think Takumi is bad either, but that will bring another plethora of issues.

I think Haaland is an anomaly - he’s a freak of nature that was always going to tear up the Bundesliga, and will continue to do so wherever he goes.

2 Likes

But if he’s producing the number that Mane or Haaland were producing when they were in the Austian league, then clearly he COULD be the Haaland… and everyone loves to buy on potential rather than reality…

1 Like