Addiction. Can we actually make choices?

We all take interest in things in life. I’ve tried very hard to teach Jnr to cook. My mum did it for me, I’ve tried to pass it on. We should take this to the cooking thread though. Good cooking is simple, just takes the desire to eat better than the bottom of the freezer which isn’t tricky.

1 Like

I think if you figure out what a meal needs to contain. You will have an easier time making a plan for yourself accordingly and stocking up those.

You can mix and match like for like items that is substitute a serving of chicken to an equivalent amount of other protein and make it up yourself as you go along.

I generally use diet plans as a reference to how much o should eat and then do my own stuff.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with having fast food etc once in a while though.

It would be a strict no for me to having a frozen dish which is far more addictive.

Also the danger is that the frozen food takes the hassle out of cooking and probably works out cheaper than cooking for two in the long run. That convenience and the price factor is what leads to dependency of frozen preservative filled food.

It’s not that big a problem in India yet but with the newer generation of kids and parents with spending power , you never know.

Definitely. I cannot understand why in many places and countries that water is more expensive than soft drinks or alcohol. In Singapore, I have always questioned why in eating establishments that a bottle of water is more expensive than a can of coke. You know its not a true reflection of their costs because the same water cost far less than the same can of coke. Its more of F&B places not wanting people to order water if they price it too cheaply. In a local coffeeshop, a can of coke is $1.30 but a bottle of water can cost $1.5, while in a supermarket, its $0.50 for that water and $0.8 for the coke. Something is wrong here because healthy choices are so expensive. Salads cost as much as a fried chicken cutlet. And people who are struggling with finances, they have limited choices. When a McChicken in Singapore cost $2 and a salad cost double, what do you want people to choose? I don’t know whether government intervention has any impact but they can do all the messaging and signalling but without lower prices, not many will choose healthy expensive options just because it is healthy.

3 Likes

Ah, the perfect thread for me to start complaining about the lack of reliable transfer rumours.

My major issue with addictions is the hypocrisy and selective treatment. I think an example would be best to explain how I feel. Smoking, drinking, two major addictions of consumption, yet the vast majority of people who smoke and drink are not addicted, so the sensible thing is done, treat/help the addicted and restrict/educate about he dangers of excessive consumption (generally speaking people in Canada can purchase alcohol and smokes until 18). Gambling, an addiction of “habit” (non consumption), once again treated the correct way, educate/restrict (need to be 18). So all three of these things that can be addictions are approached from the angle of treat the few, let the masses that can restrain themselves responsibly smoke, drink, gamble, and let’s bring in the taxes (alcohol tax, cigarette tax, lotto tax). Cannabis is now going/gone the same route, huge taxable income.

Now on the other hand, prescriptions for pain medication (opioids), which are once again addictive, yet imo is technically much more controllable (need an actual prescription, the amounts you take could be monitored through pharmacy, doctor, private health insurance, government based health insurance) yet the way this is treated is to severely restrict the majority because of the few. And the cynic in me views this as the low hanging fruit due to low taxable income.

It seems counterintuitive to me. Probation led to a more dangerous alcoholic products, refusing legitimate pain management leads to illicit drug use where it’s even more deadly and addictive, and is not possible to monitor. Beyond the taxes, it seems that a death toll can be definitively linked to a drug overdose, but it’s much more difficult to to put a death toll on drinking, and smoking deaths. From a Canadian perspective.

2 Likes

I also believe this with one major addition, and that is you can have zero addiction to nearly everything (e.g.drugs, alcohol, smoking) yet you can put a quarter in a slot machine (or some other potentially addictive product) and be completely addicted. I have zero issues with any types of drugs (had legal opioids, never addicted), drinking (been there, never addicted) and smoking (1 year, never addicted), but when it comes to gambling I feel the need to be vigilant or else.

Thanks, that’s my hypocrisy example.

1 Like

I agree with this. Fwiw , I’m not in favour of the ban against recreational marijuana as well. There’s a lot of pressure from the tobacco lobby as well as pressure from religious groups on the decision to ban marijuana.

Also you can’t ban things which the majority can and do partake responsibly just because there’s a minute subset of people who form a dependency.

1 Like

I can cook, no issue on that front but I’m just coming out of a horribly stressful work period where I never felt I had time to fart let alone cook. Big diet change a year ago too.

My point here, and in keeping with this thread is the horrendous mental cycle I’m in that was born from stress. Breaking out of it is not as easy as flicking a switch. I wish it was but it isn’t.

Maybe, I feel I just need something central for each meal. Cooking to go with something is easy.

Another issue I have is that I cook and eat for myself thanks to my diet. So when I do prepare something I end up with a gazillion portions sometimes. I freeze some but it doesn’t take long for that meal to wear thin.

The first proper day I had off in about 3 months I spent cooking. It is my stress relief I guess.

1 Like

Some physical activity for me. Friday felt like the first time in 3 years.

Gonna make paella tomorrow. Day off. Calamari. Mussels. Shrimp. Bay scallops. Olive oil. Paprika. Oregano. Kids love it. Wife loves it. Reminds us of time spent in Spain. Rice. Stock. Bay leaf. Saffron. Garlic. Lemon zest. Parsley. Onion. Red peppers. Smells amazing, simmering down. Tastes delicious.

It’s one meal we cook together, and do a passable impression of Keith Floyd as we drink wine and have a laugh.

1 Like

Yes, personal responsibility and all that.

However, it’s been shown time and time again that gambling companies don’t play fair when it comes to the technologies and methodologies they employ. They are brutally effective at targeting vulnerable people and using specific psychological levers to bypass the rational parts of their brains.

And lest it go unmentioned, the reason why we offer support for people to control their gambling and legislate to limit the effectiveness of gambling companies to bleed people dry is not particularly for the gambler - it’s for the people who depend on them. If daddy isn’t strong enough to resist the allure of the bookies on payday should the kids suffer?

2 Likes

The real death knell for the tobacco industry was when it was proven what a horrific effect passive smoking has.

You can probably just about float the idea that if someone wants to smoke let them get on with it - it’s their lungs. But when it becomes other people’s health who are completely innocent, then you gave to act.

When I was a kid I used to still see my dad on a Sunday, and his idea of parenting was to take me to the pub so he could see his mates. I’d be given money for the video game or the pool table or something and be left to entertain myself. Every Sunday I’d spend about three or four hours breathing in other people’s smoke, I get home and my clothes would stink, my hair would stink and I’d wake up in Monday morning with a sore throat.

Even later, when I was old enough to go out myself. I never was a smoker, but I’d get up after a night out feeling like I’d smoked twenty cigs, coughing and spluttering.

Looking back it feels like absolute madness that it was OK to smoke indoors and force people to breath in your shit.

That’s probably the difference between smoking and shit food. You can’t passively eat a burger - the notion of personal choice is much more persuasive on this issue.

3 Likes

To tobacco industry taught me that a whistleblower is not someone that blows a whistle. Scummy practices in lots of these industries that peddle potentially addictive stuff.

Kids should never suffer due to shit parents.

Passive smoking reminds me of the view of Joe Jackson when the smoking ban was installed in New York bars.
Jackson lobbied to keep smoking in the bars and claimed that zero empirical studies existed on the effect of passive smoking.
He contended that most of the research on passive smoking was conducted by pharmaceutical companies, who were developing nicotine replacement products at the time.

He was passionate about the argument, and although he was moat likely incorrect he did note how big pharmaceutical companies had entered the market.

Whilst that is ultimately true, what if the parent is doing their best?
Who is the arbitrator of what is shit?

Absolutely, yes. Just like advertising for other physical or mental poisons: gambling, alcohol, cigarettes.

Should all these things be prohibited? No, because several experiences, among them the prohibition in the US during the early twentieth century, showed that prohibition is most likely to end up up in disaster.

2 Likes