Al-Sandcastle - the sportswashing barcodes

Hence why despite FSG making mistakes, I find the alternatives utterly unacceptable.

I’d rather be mid-table than funded by these sports washing cunts.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t have minded a chinese owner of a club but then a lot of the clubs whose owners are chinese have shown to be saddled with heavy debt( inter Milan for instance)

DIC is one beast but MBS is another different matter. Yes , DIC would have to face the criticism and I doubt I would have bothered much about football had they taken over… But it isn’t sportwashing to this level when you talk about DIC

1 Like

I’d be shocked by anyone living in the western world and being ok with this to happen at his club.

FSG, the Glazers, Hicks & Gillet - even Abramowitsch over Saudis, Qataris and Abu Dhabi all day.

The day some arabic murderers purchase this club will be the day I will stop supporting.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say stop supporting but I’ll be what is called an arms length away fan. Will probably check the scores every important match but i wouldnt invest myself into the club.

1 Like

China are one of the worst… They just are very good at hiding the atrocities they carry out.

Bar Norway, there is a reason why all of these “public” funds want to get into sports… It’s not for the love of the game.

3 Likes

There’s still a difference between the chinese govt buying a club and a chinese business unit buying a club. The lines might get blurred when it comes to China and their overarching control but I’d like to believe that chinese companies still have some modicum of control for themselves.

I’m aware of China’s repressed atrocities.

1 Like

Although I have no problem with FSG and think we can do much worse I don’t think that they care about the club, I think they care about their investment. You argue that that is the same but I don’t think they feel about Liverpool as we do.

There is nothing wrong with caring about your investment though.

2 Likes

It’s a great question. You can sit on your moralistic high horse and watch others win. Currently it’s possible to do very well as a functional business. This might change the playing field.

3 Likes

They’ve shown that they are open for discussions with the fanbase. They arent as disconnected from the fanbase as even Glazers , Kroenke (among the us owners)

Yes they did but I don’t think they did that out of love for the club but call me a @cynicaloldgit :rofl:

1 Like

I think we can take it as a given that our owners didn’t love the club before they bought it. To the degree they are sports fans, they may have been aware of our existence, but I’d be surprised if it was more than that. And if they pretended otherwise, it would be as hollow as the fireside chat with Old Tim Hicks and the Liverpool paraphernalia dotted around.

Once the club was in trouble and going through the courts, a very tasty economic opportunity presented itself and they bought.

From that point on they could have been a whole lot worse, and slightly better too I think, but on the whole they are fine and have done what they said. The stadium is renewed, and more on that to come. Revenue has been good. But the strength, after a misbobble while they got up to speed, is the team, and the people running the team. Absolute world class on that front.

FSG are not fans, and I think it would be hollow if they said they loved the club, and so on. But there is a convergence of interest, in that their bottom line grows as our fortunes rise.

Now at some point, it might become ultra expensive to take the last step to challenge for the PL and CL, and it is possible they may settle for being close enough to that, as the return on investment is fine without spending the sum needed to win the biggest prizes. That’s the danger, I think, but we aren’t quite there. In a post-Klopp Liverpool we might be.

5 Likes

I was one of them. I thought at the time that it was the only way to compete.

However many years it is later, I am wiser and ‘woker’ and would be much more resistant to this type of owner, even to the point of walking away completely if I felt that strongly about it

I’m personally boycotting the next World Cup, although I’m sure it’s only my wife who will be bothered one way or the other about that.

But for sure, DIC and China yes, pizza shop owner NO!

3 Likes

There’s more than a hint that the PL has caved on this due to how the Competition Appeal Tribunal hearing went. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the PL has encouraged BeIN to resolve their issue with Saudi Arabia so that the PL could claim that there was no longer an impediment to the takeover. This would then avoid the very real danger that the PL’s role in adjudicating on the matter of who owns and controls PL clubs was removed from them. For the time being at least.

If this is accurate it doesn’t come as much of a surprise…

1 Like

They were already a top half club and in the ascendency on the back of the spending already sanctioned by the former Thai PM. Kompany and SWP were already at the club prior to the sale. Same model just different scale and potential for longevity.

How is this group different than the one that owns Sheffield United?

So who are they going to get; Conte! Mourinho! Sam!

No one is a fan of the club prior to the moment they become a fan. Their lack of prior connection to the club doesn’t mean they have continued solely as dispassionate investors.

2 Likes

the title is misleading, as it does nothing to actually detail what Liverpool or Tottenham had to do with it. another case of shitty journalism. there are no answers there, and the only thing they mentioned is Mike Ashley upped the price at the last minute.

Yes, possibly. There’s no question that our current squad and its weaknesses are held up by the sheer force of Klopp’s will. I doubt we’ll ever be Arsenal MKII though.

Shrewd buy this one, for the money, there is huge potentail.

1 Like

Conte might finally get the transfer budget he’s cried about not having at every other club he’s been at.