Al-Sandcastle - the sportswashing barcodes

Am I crazy or does that pretty obviously hit his leg?

Also his arm is by his side and he tries to pull it away. Nothing more the defender could possibly do to avoid a handball.

3 Likes

Telling that Shearer and Kane will be best remembered for scoring lots of goals and being stalwarts for a national side that won fuck all

1 Like

Alan Shearer is allowed to love his home town club and be Newcastle through and through. What is disappointing is no introspection, or comment on the owners.

Even if he said, look, I donā€™t like Saudi Arabia and what they are doing to people, and what they stand for, but I will turn a blind eye to that and just focus on the football.

I wouldnā€™t like that hypocritical stance, but it would be honest.

Instead, there has been no comment, and he acts as though Newcastle deserve a seat at the top table.

As such, given his profile, he is complicit is what is happening.

9 Likes

He needs to realise itā€™s a job not that he is down the pub.

3 Likes

Same hypocrisy as Sterling has shown for years.
Never a question asked of that little rats double standards.

To be fair he was asked by Lineker and said.

ā€œDo I love the impact itā€™s had on Newcastle? Absolutely, Newcastle are buzzing and playing some great football. But also, do I think the Saudis and other countries should be held to account over human rights? Absolutely, yes.ā€

5 Likes

I didnā€™t realize he had said that. Thanks.

Itā€™s something, and preferably he would build on it, or the likes of Lineker would keep the subject in play.

I suppose Shearer has to be careful with his criticism or he might be bundled into a car and never seen again.

1 Like

He should realize his strong position as a Geordie icon. If he had a better moral compass he could say more about the Saudis, and it would really give them something to think about.

Do they ban him from the ground? Probably not, as that would make the story bigger than ever.

So I think Shearer has plenty of room to comment, given his profile, but heā€™s not taking it.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have any concern over that, he acted like an aggressive prick on a decision that was 50/50.

1 Like

The problem is the words make no sense when taken in the wider context of the entire quote. How should they be held to account, Alan? Is it other peopleā€™s duty to do it? Do you get to not participate because they have done nice things to something you like?

But on this specific exchange he is being unprofessional. Even if he was right it would be bad, but heā€™s so biased that heā€™s making a terrible argument. You can understand why a ref might have given it as there is a lot of movement of the arm and you might be fooled into thinking that was to get it in the way. But this is a great use of VAR. On reflection it clearly shows the only movement was an attempt to get his arm, already in a non penalizable position, out of the way to even further protect himself.

3 Likes

One can hopeā€¦they have form for silencing media folk. Ideally martin tyler at the same time.

2 Likes

:flushed:

Anno 1953

His kit looks about circa 1950.

Never sure why that was a phase for a while, canā€™t see it coming back even players down in the Conference have decent physical attributes everything is quite tight though tight tight peaked with those Spurs shirts a few years back.

Noticed Dan Ashworth at the King Power last night.

Maybe looking at some Leicester (whatever happens with them) players for Newcastle this summer.

Maddison maybe?

They play them Monday so I assumed thatā€™s why he was there.

3 Likes

Watched their Brighton game. Eddie Howe has collected a bunch of thugs and a few creative players. Shithousery a la Atletico is their main principle. Saw a stat they are the leading PL team in purposeful time wasting (and other dark arts).

Itā€™ll be so sweet if they draw LC and Chelsea and we score +7 in our last 2 games and beat them to a CL spot. Weā€™d be tied in points and GD, and the tie breaker would be goals scored.

2 Likes

Expecting Howe to get the sack next season. Nothing special about his football.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me if they have the lowest ball in play minutes in the league and the highest percentage of goals scored from corners/free kicks. Maybe somebody can post actual numbers?

Feel like Howe wonā€™t be ā€˜internationalā€™ enough for them soon. Being able to spend stupid money and then going for Anthony Gordon. Howe will be too loyal to the likes of left back Dan Burn and Wilson (heā€™s class but past his prime).

Yes they will sign international players too but they might also be favorites to sign the likes of Ward-Prowse, Maddison and Maguire.

1 Like

Not sure that Howe has much say in new signings, they got Ashworth from Brighton for that. I think that Maddison could be a good signing for them but I canā€™t quite predict the other positions they might want to strengthen. I wish we didnā€™t screw up this season and gave them a way in (and a way back to Man United), weā€™ll have to live with that.

1 Like