Andy ROBERTSON: 2022/23

That or Chelsea is getting cancelled so let’s make sure he doesn’t go to another pointless international friendly. The way Clarke played him into the ground last time it wouldn’t surprise me.

Sorry it’s the UEFA nations league (glorified friendly then).

At least we have Tsimikas who is close enough in terms of level and style to him. I dread to think of what happens to us if anything happens to Alexander-Arnold. Both Gomez and Milner are a lot more similar to each other than Alexander-Arnold, and any long-term injury to him would require a lot of retooling tactically, I think.

2 Likes

I do think Gomez improved in that right back position towards the end of the last season.

2 Likes

I’m not questioning the quality, I’m just talking about potential tactical adjustments.

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

I do wonder if this is the club playing it a bit, Robbo played that entire season and then had to play that playoff (totally understandable).

He played the whole 90 even though it was obvious to anyone watching that he had gone after 60 minutes. He then got a heap of blame for not being able to put in a shift in the last 30.

A few days later Scotland play a friendly and I’m confident Clarke sees what I see, nope starts again and then starts again or is injured.

So if the club and player have somehow suggested this more serious than it is I wouldn’t blame them.

Player might want to play but sometimes you say to him you effectively can’t. Poor management if I’m honest.

The truth is he hasn’t really ever had a proper break since he got in the team as a regular, he’s that important to both club and country.

Yes we all get upset when he’s playing 90mins back to back in friendlies, but at the same time it doesn’t feel right to suddenly be happy now that he’s not going just because he’s picked up an injury with us…there’s no validity in that.

I don’t think Kostas will ever be seen as a guy who can nail down Robbo’s spot even if the poor form continues however there certainly is a case to be made that he should’ve been rotated in more than he has.

Has he trained during the break? If he hasn’t, it will mean the issue is pretty serious.

Pearce wrote he’s still recovering from the injury he suffered against Napoli, and won’t be available for the Brighton game.

Have been wondering if Robbo has mentally hit a brick wall after his exploits of so many games last season… Thanks for nothing Steve Clark
The more rest Robbo has, the fitter and stronger he will come back.
Time for Tsimi to step-up

1 Like

Does he ever take shooting lessons?

Anyway, his best game in while. :clap:

2 Likes

Whenever I’m at a game, I love watching warm ups. It’s Tomislav Ivic school, something Klopp introduced into his work (the bit when he follows the opponent warming up before finishing with us).

I don’t get to watch Liverpool live so often, but I always look to get in early and grasp everything I can.

I don’t know if they still do this today, but whenever I was present, they used to release Robbo in those in-between zones where he can finish with shots on goal. Never looked comfortable or good at it. From his approach towards the ball to the shots. His whole body is probably much more used to an approach for crossing, rather than shooting. Doesn’t attack the ball well enough (and isn’t great at ball manipulation to create better shooting moments for himself) to have these shots from different angles on the left.

The few goals he’s scored he was actually better at attacking space and ending up with a header or tap in.

But it’s great to have him back. He’s a limited player in certain aspects, but he’s important for us. When Tsimi was in form, there was no doubt for me who is our first choice. Not by large at that time, but still clear. Now, when Tsimi had a run of games and we get to know his weaknesses more, it’s even more obvious.

4 Likes

Whilst primarily v’s Leeds it was a shit show, Robbo was a shining light. Very much looking like he’s back to his best.

5 Likes

Yeah he was the only one I gave a motm to. Glad to see to be fair, he is still probably my favourite player of the lot.

Robertson, like other senior players, started the season poorly. But he is nearing his best after the injury induced break in September.

1 Like

With his two assists today against Southampton, Andrew Robertson has equalled Leighton Baines as the defender with the most assists in Premier League history [53]. #lfc [opta]

3 Likes

I’m glad to see he is back to his best.

2 Likes

Robertson brought his Premier League assist tally to 53, including his time with Hull, equaling Baines’ record for Everton.

:heart_eyes: :star_struck:

Best match I’ve seen him play in a while. Look like his legs from two years ago. A massive handful on attack but still doing his shift at the back. That pass to Salah, overshadowed by the searcher from Trent, but maybe a tic more difficult. Perfection.

1 Like