Arne Slot - Head Coach

Thanks for sharing that, it seems behind his cool façade is a passionate but controlled figure, also hope he said that bit about staying fit to our players before the upcoming international games

This. I personally am already tired of people making dubious connections with the Shankly-Paisley era, as if football hasn’t changed more over the last 15 years than it did over its first 100. There is no such thing as destiny. We aren’t title frontrunners (yet). We could have our obligatory mid season slump like we did under every single season under Klopp. Maybe we won’t?

What we do know is that we are 3 games in. Undefeated. No goals conceded. That’s as perfect as it gets at this stage. But there will be ups and downs this season. Let’s see where we go and not lock in anything at this stage. Not even top 4.

6 Likes

Only thing is we didn’t have a mid season slump last season quite the opposite, we had an end of season slump, players returning from injuries and them not firing

2 Likes

Change frightens everyone. It is understandable that every fan was a tad nervous with the way recent events have unfolded.
To most (me), AS was an unknown, and because of that, it has just heightened the anxiety factor a touch.
As things begin to unfold, opinions can be better adjusted by witnessing first hand what the guy is about. Yes, it is very early days, but more and more fans are beginning to breathe a sigh of relief already - maybe the resultant euphoria is what causes some to daydream just a little too much :0)

5 Likes

We had 99, 97 and 92 points in three of our seasons under Klopp. Couldn’t have been much of a slump in those seasons. Incredible consistency.

12 Likes

Will be interesting to see how managers set up against us as the weeks pass, once Arnes tactics are better known, or we face hugher profile, better managers.

3 Likes

Very much so - he has done better than we could have hoped to start the season. Doesn’t have Klopp’s charisma, but might be tactically more astute.

At the moment seems to perfect coach to build on Klopp’s outstanding foundation. But games will just get harder from here, and sooner or later he will have to deal with serious adversity- and that is when we will really know what we have.

8 Likes

I feel the lower teams will set up in a lower block and allow us the ball, because if we play through a press we are devastating ATM

Not too many teams would do that. The shit teams like Everton might , but it only takes one goal for the entire strategy to fail.

Yet our results in 18/19 between 3/1 and 3/3 were LLWWDDWDWD, and at the end of that run we effectively lost first place and never regained it - in a season where we obtained 97 PL points.

In 19/20 you could argue the worst we saw was 2 mini slumps: LWLLWL between 18/2 and 11/3, then DWLWWDL between 21/6 and 15/7.

In 21/22 we went DDLDD between 22/12 and 13/1.

As amazing as those 3 seasons were, I would still argue those runs of form outlined above were slumps given how amazing the rest of the season was. Knowing we were up against City, sometimes that run of form was enough to hurt us in the league.

I think the above just highlights why you shouldn’t get ahead of yourself: City have changed the definition of slump. You can no longer afford to intermingle a few L’s and D’s amongst wins.

1 Like

And that is exactly why we won’t win the league, and anyone expecting this will set him-/herself up for huge disappointment. To expect a perfect season with only a few D’s among a long line of W’s is simply unrealistic. It was during Klopp’s time with us, and is still even more now.

Only perennial cheaters with a bottomless amount of funds and the ref association in their back-pockets can possibly sustain this.

Great start so far, but it’s early doors, we have no injuries yet, and still have to meet a heavyweight in the league.

Also, we have had so far what Slot is accustomed to, which is roughly one game a week. After the international break, the exhausting rhythm of three games a week will set in, and that will change everything. Being tactically astute will help, but there will be a lot of other attributes needed to keep us consistent.

3 Likes

Exactly, we’ve only played mid-table fodder so far.

4 Likes

I think its been a harder start then commonly credited.

Brentford are 6th having won their other two games, one of which was a tricky starter against a Palace team who ended really well last season. Ipswich is a really tight ground and considered a pretty difficult place to go and was always going to be trickiest having to do it on the opening day while they were still all full of piss and vinegar. And no matter how bad Utd are, it is still away to Utd. Like Everton, it is a fixture that has a considerably higher level of difficulty for us than for other clubs.

6 Likes

You spelt “relegation” wrong.

3 Likes

Too harsh on Brentford

4 Likes

Two out of three ain’t bad.

1 Like

9 Likes

Think the hope in his heart has gone :cry:…need Nikola to open a new rumour to say that half of the real Madrid squad are coming to us in January…then he may have hope back in his heart ( so long as he doesn’t see that Nikola has opened the thread)

3 Likes

Hope in your heart ffs!

2 Likes

With years passing by, the sky-blue cheaters have broken me…

3 Likes