Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Disappointments tend to be fairly expensive, if not they wouldn’t be that.

1 Like

Brentford and Norwich didn’t do this overnight, and were not in the premier league when they did so. I think it will be harder for them to continue without making changes if they avoid relegation.

Brentford for example don’t have a youth team - that is part of their unique strategy.

Arsenal have had a good reputation for many years for developing and bringing through talented young players (they still do). A number of the players they have signed in recent years have been young and highly thought of ( Pepe, Tierney, and Torreira ) .

1 Like

That is what I’m essentially saying. First of all, Arsenal still has a reputation and can attract young players who can be developed. Even if that youthful squad doesn’t get them CL they can generate cash rather than draining it.

Secondly; yes, it takes time. That’s why they should focus without delay. Last 4-5 seasons they have spent tons of money without achieving anything.

Much of which has been on young talented players…

Wonder how much of that was them trying to get a player that Liverpool scouted and passed up on

For example , there was the Thomas Lemar incident which Liverpool wisely decided not to go for. Arsenal ended up offering an insane amount of money at the very end of that transfer window which was rejected.

Then Pepe who was linked to us quite often and Arsenal probably thought that if Liverpool had an interest in the player , then that player would be good ended up paying what it would seem now as way over the norm for a player who hasn’t delivered just yet.

So if they are scouting potential attacking talent like that , then it’s a blunder. They did make some good youngster signings like Martinelli etc. But something as disastrous as Pepe signing would be telling.

4 Likes

And the only reason that Willian, Luiz, Cech signed was because the club was in London and they didn’t want to move their family.

And they’ve had close to 8-9 seasons now without a semblence of stability in the defense with the CB’s. They’ve spent money on that. Even in the current squad(including Sokratis and Mustafi for recent spends)

Chambers → 16M from Southampton
Saliba → 27M (Yet to play a match for Arsenal i think)
Mustafi → 35M
Gabriel → 27M
Sokratis → 18M

I see Gabriel being rated extremely highly by the Arsenal guys , but he won’t make the liverpool match day team if all the defenders are fit and I don’t even include Konate into the equation.

So Arsenal have had a go at securing Ben White

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11741/12334105/ben-white-brighton-reject-40m-transfer-bid-from-arsenal-for-england-international-defender

Brighton have rejected it - wonder what they think he’s worth.

2 Likes

Reckon Brighton think it’s not worth 40M to strengthen their direct competitor

9 Likes

I know what you did there :joy:

1 Like

I like Arsenal as a club and am good mates with some Arsenal fans too… But I remember them having the banter against Liverpool… (with some affection and respect) and only fair that I do the same now.

I for one wouldn’t mind Arsenal even winning the PL with the kind of football that Wenger(at his peak) displayed… even if it was at our expense… But right now, They’re at best a feeder club and someone for washed up rejects. And that isn’t what they need to be.

3 Likes

I think Gabriel and Chambers are decent.

Thing is 40m from a better club might get Brighton moving but they can probably swat this stuff off as the player themselves might not be that bothered and may expect a better offer later in the summer.

2 Likes

They should have offered £40m+£1, but then they probably aren’t smoking that same stuff they did previously over there at the Emirates this time round. :wink: :grinning:

2 Likes
1 Like

Why is this thread still relevant?

1 Like

In honor of The Professor Arsene Wenger.

1 Like

3 Likes

Mail reporting that they want Aaron Ramsdale.
He’s been relegated the last 2 seaons and is an awful keeper…perfect for Arsenal.

1 Like

Everton seems to be willing to pay the asking price for White. Brighton will be laughing all the way to the bank at this rate

1 Like

Arsenal got beat 2-1 by Hibernian in their first pre-season friendly.

Harry Clarke, Arthur Okwonko, Folarin Balgun, Omari Giraud-Hutchinson, Karl Hein, Jack Henry-Francis and Omar Rekik played from their youth team but the squad was mostly a first team.

2 Likes