Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Martinelli signed his new deal few weeks ago.

Saka is boyhood Arsenal, he was always going to sign.

Good news. ‘Drop in form after signing that big new deal’ long overdue.

Yeah, forgot about that. Must’ve read a headline that was weeks ago.

They also activated a +1 clause in Elneny’s contract, who was going to be free this summer.

They are doing well. They have spent a lot of money to get to this point. Will they win anything? And will they sustain a winning habit and keep this team together for a while?

Credit where credit is due, but I can’t give too much to them.

Not yet, anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, so Ten Hag can win the PL title in his first season in charge of Man United!

Can they not have done it before our game, it’s the only one I want them to lose from now on in.

Winning games against Villa and Bournemouth after being down a few times - maybe they have what it takes to win the league but I still see City as favorites.

They still have to play away at City and at Anfield and I think the Thursday games in the EL will cost them.

Yeah how they handle Europe will be key.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thought he retired years ago …

He did…just didn’t announce it until now.

A sign of how far Arsenal have come under Arteta. Imagine Ozil, even in his prime, trying to get in this side.

I always though it was a great pity how Özil faded. He was such a talent when he was younger but he seem to lose interest as soon as he turned 30.

He’d walk into this Gooners team in his prime.

The role he’d be playing would be Ødegaard’s, who has been pretty much their best player and with a personality and professionalism Arteta seems to have rebuilt the team around. You give me the choie between the 2014 version of Ozil or this version of Ødegaard to join liverpool and I take the Norwegian without much debate.

2 Likes

2010-2013 prime Ozil.
When Players leave Real there’s a reason and it’s not usually that they’ve improved.

Ozil had some brilliant years, no doubt about that. Partly at Real (in a Mourinho side, speaks volumes) either playing in the inside right channel or as the #10, for Germany also between the lines and partly at Arsenal, too. He was a coup for them back then. Arguably the best final ball (vision, variations, execution and consistency) I’ve seen in my following. But also, his level in the last few years at Arsenal got weak, looked already half-dead by then.

Wasn’t also helped by what Arsenal had around him (though he was also responsible for it, being one of the key players) and the role of a #10 already changing a lot by then. We go from classic #10’s to this age when someone like Klopp (even if his style isn’t everything, there are other methods) calls it the most difficult position on the pitch, because you have to be involved in all phases of the game.

Ozil was more interested in the nightlife of London than in playing football IMO.

Doesn’t strike me as someone who went out partying, but maybe interested in his brand and many off the pitch things, yes. That’s not necessarily what was the problem though, you get a lot of players doing that. It’s also thinking about their future. But on the pitch, there was quite a difference between the Ozil by the end of his time at Real, his peak with Germany, the first few seasons at Arsenal and then the final part there.

Yeah, my only experience with Ozil is at Arsenal. Silky player but that guy even in his early years in London didn’t have the work ethic to mix with the current squad IMO.