Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

I understand what you’re getting at, that you want owners who are willing and able to pay big bucks to consistently challenge for the top players in the world. That’s fine, I understand why the fan in you is desperate for it.

But your post reads more that you’re just desperate for signings no matter the outcome. By the rationale you express then paying £100m for Jesse Lingard this summer would delight you because of the ambition it shows to spend money.

There is a balance. Sure we could probably spend a bit more from time to time but also going hotting the spray-and-pray switch on the transfer lottery rarely works.

I’m deeply unimpressed by the dealings of the other clubs so far. Only Kovacic I see as a good signing made by anyone (Rice will be too when its done).

2 Likes

It depends on whether he can curry the team to victory.

1 Like

On ‘paper’, he’s a good signing. I wish we’d got him but I wouldn’t have a paddy about it, even though others are having a field day. In fact, I’m not Maddison about it at all.

Arteta called Havertz in his first reaction after the signing a midfielder.

1 Like

Its funny how staunchly people are defending FSG in this thread. Let me tell you guys, the moment Klopp leaves, we’ll return to the true state that the kind of investment our owners have done deserves. Between 4th to 8th.

Our manager and coaching staff together have made us punch way beyond our weight. It should be concerning to everyone that the absolute wank Kroenke is willing to spend so much for Arsenal, but FSG, after already touching the top tier of club football, seem to be suddenly acting like a cautious virgin.

Investment is the key to any business’ success. I don’t mind City, United, Chelsea, or Newcastle outspending us. They’re either blatantly cheating, operate in different stratospheres financially. But I don’t expect a nothing club like Arsenal to out do us. We have 2 more years of having a top manager. After that it is highly unlikely that we’ll be able to grossly overperform as we have for last ~5 years. For our owners to be so risk averse now is an absolutely bad time to do so.

1 Like

Oh dear.

2 Likes

Yes, its good this is Liverpool only forum, or I’d have drawn rather too many targetting reticules in my direction. But honestly, last PL title 20 years ago? Zero European credentials? A bunch of FA cups, good for them, but they were clearly putting all eggs in that competition for a certain period. Compared to us, they should be nobodies. Their location elevates them more than they deserve.

2 Likes

They’re not a “nothing club”, though.

3 Likes

True, true, that was a bit of heated exaggeration. My ex was an Arsenal fan. I’ll rest my case.

2 Likes

Many of the individuals whose performance has been central to the success of the Klopp years predate Klopp. It will be an enormous task to replace him because he is so good, but the idea he is a one man team is just not really supportable.

3 Likes

Newcastle haven’t even begun to scratch the surface tbh & have already broken the bound by getting top 4 after only 1 big summer (which succeeded a moderately spend the winter before)…no London clubs should be outspending the (by some distance) big 2 in the country but the issue is you have fans who’ll after seeing the success we’ve had on a limited budget ALWAYS expect us to be the anomaly in that title/top 4 picture…it’s imaginary, we have no right to be there & the only thing keeping those dreams alive rests on the shoulders of 1 man.

There’s a reason no club who spent less than the top 5 biggest spenders in the league could finish top 4…we have been that anomaly for the last 5-6 years but the tide is starting to shift the other way & as you say life after Klopp = serious concerns for the future.

They are historically the third most successful side in England behind us and Utd. Only 3 of those titles came in the modern/Wenger era. There are may things you can say about Arsenal, but calling them nobodies is a joke.

2 Likes

Saliba is not going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1674417170477092866?s=20

Unsurprising.

His injury had a big part to play in them not winning the league. It was somewhat inevitable that they’d agree a deal.

And it’s supposedly a BIG increase. His pay was really meagre for a player with that big an impact at a team at that end of the table and apparently was holding out for something that was more in line with what you’d expect a league’s top CB to get.

We’ve seen how quickly your financial space can be minimized once you have to pay your existing players their market value. It’s something Arsenal are now going to be facing as well.

1 Like

I’ll let you have that, but just for perspective, Genoa are the 4th most successful side in Italy. I think you wouldn’t mind saying Genoa are a nobody compared to Liverpool.

Today we consider PSG as somewhat of a joke because they haven’t shown chops in Europe. I’m sure many of the outside league supporters considered Man City as a similar joke till now.

They might have a load of domestic titles and cups, but until Arsenal get European heritage, I don’t see big name European players getting overly excited by them. And that is an advantage. And we need to use that. We can’t let financially well run clubs out do us despite having no recent success to speak of.

And that doesn’t mean throwing more money around than Arsenal, but getting the targets we want with minimal compromise. They’ve just outdid us in that. We balked at Tchouameni. Then we balked at Bellingham.

Arsenal and us are both on a turning point. Arsenal because they can springboard from here, and us because we’ve used the last season to re-evaluate where we actually stand and now have the opportunity to correct our trajectory. Only next season’s end will tell who managed to gain an advantage.

1 Like

We didn’t balk at Tchoumeni. We offered the same as Madrid. He simply chose Madrid over Liverpool.

4 Likes

this will soon become written into folklore as we offered MORE than Madrid and even though the player was keen, his agent talked him into playing for Madrid.

1 Like

Right, but they are not anything like Genoa. Arsenal are a club that has had some level of success in pretty much every generation since the 30s. We’re talking about Arsenal not Huddersfield.

I honestly don’t know what point you’re trying to argue. Arsenal are an authentically big club in English terms and pretty much always have been. And given the economics of world football that de facto makes them a big club on the world stage. The fact they are signing players for decent money should surprise no one because they have never been poor (even when they incapable of keeping their best players their overall salary commitments were high, they just chose to spread around that money in ways that made their better players want to leave), have a history of showing themselves to be an attractive club able to sign good players (Berkgamp, Henry, Ozil, Campbell all wave hello at your suggestion they are not attractive to big players), and now have CL football to offer again under a well regarded coach. Of course they are going to sign some good players this summer.

6 Likes