Breaking News Thread

I take it you mean you haven’t?

Also noteworthy that the current BBC boss has monetary links with Boris.

Can’t stand match of the day and have not watched it for years.

1 Like

Rumours of commentators not showing up either and possibly even players declining to do mandatory media with the BBC.

Fair to say they’ve picked the wrong hill to die on here. A distraction from the Tory’s other failings for a bit but truly shown the depths they’ll stoop to.

4 Likes

As a news day, you’ve got to love today.

Instead of “Earthquake Kills 50,000” we have “Lineker Tossed from MOTD.”

More days like today, please.

2 Likes

Sorry yes :yum:

I would just like to add that I won’t be presenting MotD tomorrow either…

I think pundits in general are overpaid and don’t add anything to my enjoyment of football (in fact, they quite often do the opposite).

But as a matter of principle we have to back them on this one.

2 Likes

Last night I was listening to Richard Quest on CNN poo-pooing any idea of a wider banking collapse in the wake of the failure of SVB. The larger institutions were ‘rock solid’ , he opined.

This morning we hear that Credit Suisse has serious problems. I wonder if he’s still as confident now.

Yeah, very different problems in many ways - but the auditors saying there are material weaknesses in their risk management is not exactly reassuring. That is auditor-speak for ‘we don’t know what some of the asset portfolio is actually worth, and neither do they’. In some ways, that is rather more problematic than SVB’s really stupid bet on low risk instruments.

2 Likes

What a monumental idea. Why didn’t we all think of this??? FFS.

Not really breaking news, but oops. The short-term catastrophe could be avoided, but no-one can tell me that this won’t have long-term effects on nature and health.

So much for that super-‘clean’ energy production modus. If given a choice, I’d rather go for a good old-fashioned coal plant over this shit.

Putin indicted by the ICC.

2 Likes

How long until the President of the ICC, Judge Piotr Hofmański, has a tragic falling out of a window accident?

Not a polar bear though are you.

1 Like

but what does that MEAN, though? who’s going to arrest him?

Does it not help keep him in Russia though…
Visits to other country’s would put at him at risk of getting lifted maybe

Well he’s not about to be arrested anytime soon but still the indictment is much more than symbolic. It means that he will have this hanging over his head now for the rest of his life , and he might not always be flavour of the month in Russia. Remember also that it took a long long time to get Milosevic in front of the court , but it happened eventually.

4 Likes

New reporting coming out over the weekend that bolsters one of the more accepted and acceptable conspiracy theories among Democrats - Regan intervened in the Iran hostage crisis to prevent them coming home under Carter. It had the double whammy of robbing Carter of a pre-election boost to his perception of competency, while then allowing Regan to get credit for it once it finally on his watch.

1 Like