Breaking News Thread

Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Bloody hell, was there a few years ago in the big lakeside park.

2 Likes

No news yet on the assailant , apart from him being Syrian. I’m kind of hoping it’s not a Daesh inspired attack and just the work of a disturbed individual , as a lot of them surely must be after being brutalised by that civil war. Thanks again must go to Putin.

There is obviously some truth that mass attacks are not caused by any sort of weapon per se but by the mindset of humans. But the type of weapon absolutely changes the dynamic in terms of lethality. This guy didn’t have any hesitation stabbing children. What would this situation have been like had he been in possession of an AR-15?

3 Likes

We returned from skiing via Annecy in early March and even at that time of year, it was beautiful.

Yeah, it’s a calm, beautiful place. The lake and the mountains surrounding it have something magical about them. It’s tragic to think that such a hideous act can take place within such a scenery.

Fully agree about the above. Knife stabbing is already terrible, but I dread to think what this guy could and certainly would have done, had he had access to a semi-automatic weapon.

The incident was witnessed by Anthony Le Tallec, remember him. He’s just been on BBC news and was actually wearing an LFC top.
Anyhow, on a serious note, the alleged offender is a Syrian refugee, who has refugee status in Sweden. So what’s he doing in South East France, running around with a large knife? He stabbed children FFS! One is 22 months old!

Annecy is not the South East of France!

1 Like

Sorry,I’m sure!!

Turn it into rubble - think of the houses that could be built to house the poor!

Sorry not directed at you, it’s the BBC who said it and then probably not their fault either they would probably be just repeating what one of the news agencies had printed.

I note that it’s an English thing. Not knowing the regional differences Annecy is in the region of Auvergne Rhone Alpes, not Provence Alpes Cote D’Azur.

It’s probably the equivalent of everywhere north of London being ‘the north’.

Annecy is indeed SE of Paris and since Paris is France etc…

To be fair, Mont Lucon is probably the closest commune to the geographic center of France, and Annecy is distinctly to the SE of there. It is more like the doubletake you would get from an American if you were to say that Los Angeles is in the South. It is definitely in the southern half of the US, it is absolutely not in the region thought of as The South.

I’ve been here for 20+ years and I still no idea what the midwest is supposed to be. Minnesota? Get the fuck outtahere. You’re bad Canada with a mall, not the midwest.

I don’t know about now but in the 70s, I had the best F&C ever.
One was a “Running Chef” on the wheels of a van in Changi Air Base and the other a stall outside the Sergeants’ Mess in Tengah Air Base. Both were run by Hainanese.
TBF, I’ve yet to visit England so those personal best might or might not even be at the level of London and such.
However, I’ve sampled those from as far south as almost all the major cities of Australia, lots in the big Asian cities, quite a few in some european countries, even in Moscow (which is actually quite good).
LA, New York, San Diego too. Even in the Philippines’ Clark Air Base (where I lived for a year accumulatively over a period of 5 years in the 80s) run by American cooks.
All these, ranging from great to passable have never surpassed the Changi & Tengah ones. The only F&C I had that came close was the little store in Subic (Philippines) which I revisited last year. The owner was an old timer Englishman enjoying retirement life by the beach.

1 Like

If anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkxjN5QlcQ

Seems he watched it unfold

I visited friends in Cincinnati, Ohio, and that was described as “midwest”. I mean it’s 2 hours from New York. Is midwest simply "not on the Atlantic coast?

Ohio is definitely Midwest. Where it gets weird is Kentucky. Cincinnati is Midwest, Covington across the river is not.

That would be a 2 hour flight, of course.

1 Like

Not the first time that sentence has been uttered :rofl:

The only state that won the civil war and then later decided it wanted to be on the losing side

2 Likes