Breaking News Thread

The Dodecanese are all basically peaks of underwater mountains, but Symi is not very big. I don’t think even Rodos has a peak higher than 1200 meters or so.

2 Likes
4 Likes

That’s very sad. I always thought his style of documentary making made medical issues very accessible.

1 Like

Sad to hear the news. I assumed he would have been in the sea, since it took them so long to find his body. If he went for a walk, and went on the route expected, in a fairly small area, I don’t really understand why it took so long to find him.

RIP poor chap.

And may his family take comfort from the fact that he was such an accomplished man, who more than made his mark as he influenced many, many people toward living a better life.

1 Like

I think the only comfort the family will take is closure. Not knowing what happened is the worst.

RIP.

1 Like

It was a pretty stupid thing that he did given the weather conditions and he would have known better. He’s had 67 years, led a good life and then gone and killed himself by being an ejiit. It’s sad and his family will be very upset but there are much more horrific ways people have lost loved ones and the ‘celebrity’ angle shouldn’t cloud that.

1 Like

how did he die? i thought there were some early reports about a criminal offence?

A plane carrying the VP of Rwanda :rwanda: has gone missing.

Did they pay hundreds of millions to send it to the UK?

3 Likes

Sorry, I wrote Rwanda by mistake.

1 Like

You are Chris Philp and I claim my five pounds.

1 Like

1 Like

Correct it then as it’s confusing.

2 Likes

It should be kept so we can laugh at Ifti for years to come.

4 Likes

Might be the first time @Iftikhar has mistakenly displayed the wrong flag also :0)

6 Likes
4 Likes

Since founding Infowars in the late 1990s, Jones has pushed several conspiracy theories, including the lie that the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, mass school shooting was a so-called “false flag” operation staged by the government and that the grieving family members of 20 child victims were “actors.” Jones makes money on those conspiracy theories by hawking high-priced dietary supplements to his audience.

The fight against tyranny…

1 Like

Musk to the rescue … ; " Nothing the judge would rule on Friday would prevent Jones from spreading conspiracy theories and lies online. X CEO Elon Musk in December 2023 after a five-year ban from the platform. And Jones could go on any number of far-right outlets to share his outlandish views."

I know this is not the social media thread but I have always been uncomfortable with the bans that people get on platforms - the (dis)information will get out one way or another.

Idealistically, I would hope that people are robust enough to see through most of the snake oil, princes offering millions or sexual unicornal propositions… but the reality is that social media oftentimes can stretch and strain and push the fabric of societies to reveal strengths and/or exposes their weak points. There are a lot of positive things about social networks and platforms but we tend to look to the shortcomings and blame the platforms rather that the governments that have enabled the weaknesses that are exposed.