Breaking News Thread

No, and that’s not what’s happening here.

Also, I don’t believe it is switching between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland but Ireland (as a whole) and Northern Ireland (a bit like how Ireland Rugby represents the whole island).

Watching the closing submissions on the Depp v Heard trial. Heard’s attorney addressing the jury. Q. In the US, are attorneys allowed to just lie to the jury? She’s making a lot of false claims here. Really bizarre.

How is it not?

Is the argument that an athlete can feel like they are still Irish when representing NI, but when the home countries are combined into team UK they need to represent Ireland? I can understand that feeling, but it still represents changing affiliation from Ireland to a British home nation

Brilliant

Cant help but think this trial especially with it being televised has harmed the case for actual victims.

Couldnt be bothered about who wins in this.

Does raise some interesting questions, if he were to claim it was an ‘art piece’ who is to say where art begins and criminal damage begins? Why does everyone tolerate Banksy but if I spray painted a dick on a wall and said it was art I would probably be fined or something.

These are rhetorical questions by the way. I personally think the lines between art and not art are very clear.

My genius is clear, thats for sure.

But seriously I do agree with you, its sometimes alot with movements…as long enough people is crazy enough to say its art, its art. Its like if some well known artist craft a story with a blank canvas painted white, it sells for millions. That is also reason why some artists work sell for millions after they die. Its easier to tell an absorbing story when the person is no longer around.

1 Like

Perhaps this isn’t strictly breaking news as it maybe was announced earlier but this is great news - hopefully leads to more progress on restricting guns in North America (and elsewhere):

3 Likes

Don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

From the Guardian article:

Canada already has significantly stronger gun ownership restrictions than its neighbour to the south.

:joy::joy: You mean because there are no restrictions?

1 Like

Alan Pardew has resigned as head coach of CSKA Sofia, after four of their black players, were racially abused by their own fans. Apart from verbal abuse, bananas were thrown at the players also. CSKA lost a Cup Final the previous week.

3 Likes

Pardew announced his departure on the club’s website, saying: "First, I want to thank all the real CSKA fans for their support and passion for the club. It was a privilege for me to be a part of and to serve this club!

"Unfortunately, my time here is over! The events before and after the match with Botev were not acceptable for me, for my assistant Alex Dyer, or for our players.

"The reason no one gave an interview after the meeting was that we were all very outraged by the situation that had escalated.

"Our players decided to play only out of loyalty and to protect the club. The small group of organised racist fans who tried to sabotage this match is not what I want to lead and represent the team.

“Definitely, this is not the right path for the benefit of CSKA, because such a club deserves much more.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

what a fucking media circus, am proud to say I watched absolutely zero coverage on it and DGAFF about it

2 Likes

Sets a very wrong precedent for similar cases in the future.

IDGAF who’s right and who’s wrong here, but a trial by media is essentially tainting the jjury pool.

My wife followed the trial closely and she said something to the tune of “I believe Amber believes that she’s right regardless of whether or not Depp physically abused her or not”

FFS!!! These sick people!! Nobody is safe over there.

Eeeer… what!? I didn’t follow the trial but that makes no sense at all and delegitimises actual abuse.

3 Likes

Indeed. I’ve seen lots of comments following the verdict that decry this judgment as a terrible day for victims of domestic abuse. Errr…what? That suggests that they would prefer a man to have been wrongfully found to have committed domestic abuse than for the truth to be exposed. That’s batshit. There’s no reason it should undermine those who are genuine victims of domestic abuse but…BUT…if this verdict does do that, which I question, then that’s on Heard. Nobody else.

6 Likes

I think my wife was referring to the description of heard given by one of Depp’s experts of Heard having mental issues in that Heard might have imagined that Depp physically abused her and then started believing that to be true.

I havent followed the trial and am more concerned with the legal issues of this going forward.