Breaking News Thread

Just not sure that having decisions by Jury is the way forward on this. Not when the jury can be so influenced by the media etc pretrial.

Depp in all probability deserved to clear his name etc etc but it still allows a blueprint for others to copy.

What’s wrong with these people ffs?

1 Like

RIP to those who passed away. So tragic.
Stay safe to those who are living there.

2 Likes

Trial by Tik Tok?

My understanding is that the fact the US trial was by jury while the UK one by judge only was also a key difference.

Appeal in coming.

I wonder if the judge here should have just agreed with the verdict and then award zero damages and just tell these two to put the whole thing to bed.

Didn’t really know where to put this , and had almost completely forgotten about it tbh. After seven years the trial for fraud and embezzlement begins for Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini. I don’t even understand how they have the brass balls to go not guilty.

sepp blatter money GIF

Isn’t it because it’s just money they got because it was promised to them by themselves or something? La-la-la

1 Like

That’s exactly it … and , presumably , that will be their defence. :grin:

1 Like

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

How can the investigation take seven years? Someone has been screwing the overtime budget on that one.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s no exaggeration to say that alot of South Africa’s problems is square at the feet of these two morons. Corruption has always been part of politics here but these fucks took it to a whole new level and from nowhere managed to wrangle their way into the upper echolons of Government from ministers to the presidency itself. Public entities became whims, tender processes netted untold millions with work not done and all the while the country suffered.

They scarpered after it all eventually came apart but seems they’ve been arrested. Not sure how seeing as Dubai doesn’t have an extradition treaty with us, as far as I know so I’m a bit sceptical about whether they will be extradited here. Also, they’ve been tried in the court of public opinion so they will argue that any court proceedings will be tainted. Bastards.

South Africa recently signed an extradition treaty with UAE.

But what worries/amazes me is the fact that they have been charged with laundering just a few millions. I think the actual crimes cover hundreds of millions.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/vehicle-drives-into-crowd-berlin-least-10-injured-gemanys-rbb24-2022-06-08/

Germany’s Bild newspaper identified the victim as a teacher who was in the street with a group of her school children.

Very sad and devastating news about these two journalists. They were so devoted in their jobs in researching the Amazon and telling the world what is actually happening in this fragile ecosystem. The Amazon is the lungs of the planet, without the Amazon, we will suffocate.
RIP Dominic Phillips and Bruno Peirera. May their families get justice for their murders and find solace in the legacy these two heroes left behind.

3 Likes

@Flobs does France use the first past the post election system?

Non, presidential and legislatives are 2 tours.
Legislatives can be pretty complicated. Each ‘circumscription’ votes for it’s representitive. In the 1st tour all candidates are in the poll. Any candidate that gets over 12.5% of the votes cast can progress to the second tour (the maximum I have heard of is 3) however often a candidate who has exceeded the 12.5% will drop out so as to ‘keep’ another out. So it’s not a direct 1st past the post.
Unfortunately participation in elections is drastically low about 43% participation for the 1st tour of the legislatives. People are no longer interested (a lot of which I put down to social media muddying the waters as it were, it was so much easier when the national press decided the lines of interest).

What’s this all about? Why’s he trying to board? :nerd_face:

Attention seeking

1 Like