Breaking News Thread

it is a sad story. if only he knew then how good he was at running he could have run away. (just lightening the story a little.)

it was. it was called Prohibition. it didn’t work.

there’s many areas of the world where alcohol is prohibited. Aboriginal areas of Australia have whole regions that do not allow it as it destroys their communities.

1 Like

I removed my post as it has already been posted before by Kopstar, sorry, should have scrolled up abit more.

ive never thought about it.

in brief, why are the origins racist?

It’s an uncontroversial statement and by now something well documented with respect to the criminalization in the US. At the time it was criminalized it was seen as something done by Mexicans and Blacks, even the adoption of the word Marijuana was done to reinforce this (an anglicization of the Spanish word for it). These were communities considered dangerous, and therefore the the things they did were dangerous, especially if it altered their state of mind and potentially made them forget their place in society.

I’m not aware of such clearly articulated racist rationales in other countries, but Im sure the racist framing here influenced the discourse in other courtiers with close connections to the US.

1 Like
2 Likes

He’ll be in youth custody, there’s no chance in the UK that can lead to rehabilitation. He’ll come out destroyed and worst than before or …

When he comes out, he’ll only be 27. I hope someone is waiting for him with a baseball bat.

1 Like

Landmines?
Glad it crashed.

1 Like

Not to mention that it was making a stop in Saudi Arabia…

Yeah, it had scheduled stops in Jordan and Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

Sri Lanka has elected a new President who called the protestors Fascists. :man_facepalming:

The irony of srilankans boasting about their HDI and then relying on Indian assistance never ceases to amaze me.

doesn’t he still have a bounty on his head for a novel he wrote 20 years ago?

Yup.

From the bbc:

Theatre on lockdown

"The Chautauqua Institution, a charity and performance venue in New York State, is in the midst of its summer season.
"An artist at the venue told BBC that rehearsals had been going as normal this morning until the attack at the amphitheatre.
“The venue - which sits on a 2,000 acre site in the southwest corner of New York - has been on lockdown since, she said.”

1 Like

Sort of. The government backed away from it in the late 90s, but Khamenei has not. His initial stance was that only Khomeini was capable of revoking it and he did not do so before he died, but then later seemed to more affirmatively support it.

Shocking

Tragic.

An act of unspeakable violence against an artist who dared to confront bigotry. There is no excuse for this outrage.

1 Like