Breaking News Thread

Wouldn’t it be refreshing if King Charles(!) put out a statement saying ‘we don’t want any national mourning. She was 96 and she lived a full life. We would prefer the nation to celebrate her life rather than Mourn her death’.

1 Like

No

2 Likes

Liz Truss saying the Queen put “me” as PM. It is all about Truss. Then, she says the Queen was an inspiration to her.:roll_eyes:

There is video where she said the monarchy should be abolished.

1 Like

No. I HATE the minute’s applause. Some events require solemnity, dignity and respect. This is absolutely the very definition of this event. Once the process of mourning and burial has been completed, then we can cry “God save the king” and have a hell of a party. Right now her service demands respect.

3 Likes

I understand that sentiment, but she was seen on tv 2 days ago, then suddenly she passes away 2 days later. It is a shock tbh.

2 Likes

well said!

4 Likes

Okay can we become a republic yet?

I have complete confidence that the kop would honour any national anthem in these circumstances.

2 Likes

Bit soon.

1 Like

I really hope a minute’s silence is perfectly observed.

3 Likes

Why should that respect need to be so dour, so joyless?

I’d always rather celebrate a life than mourn a death. At the end of the day, she was 96. It’s hardly a sudden passing.

1 Like

To what end? The Republic of the US of A where someone like Trump can end up in charge isn’t much to aspire to.

5 Likes

It’s not the only option

Quite right. We’ve literally never sunk so as to end up with a narcissistic, sexually incontinent, inveterate liar as our leader.

1 Like

Exactly my point. Having a monarchy is 99% ceremonial. We have shit PM’s, so what’s the point of becoming a Republic and having shit Presidents.

2 Likes

Exactly, for every person that likes an orange man there is another person who likes someone who steals milk from kids.

Bit too long if you ask me…

1 Like

I was born just days after she came to the throne. She has been the one constant throughout my life. I am not a royalist but I have to confess I welled up a bit when the news finally came through. I have been dwelling a bit on my own mortality recently and this has certainly not helped my mood.

Bless you Mam. RIP.

11 Likes

I don’t think you need to be a royalist to feel sad at the passing of someone, especially someone prominent whose story is familiar to many.

6 Likes

For another day.