Breaking News Thread

It’s the Liz Truss effect, no more hope!
Some big challenges coming up.
Can Liz Truss get through this seeming states’man’ like and not making a fool of herself?
Can Boris get through this without trying to steal the limelight and acting the clown?
Could Stamer say something interesting or relevant?

I concur Rambler. I haven’t only known the Queen as our monarch.
As soon as i read the official statement that she was ill and the doctors were concerned about her, i knew it was serious.

I haven’t stopped the tears since then. I can’t help it. Her passing has had a profound effect on me tbh. Its been a horrible year so far.

4 Likes

I do believe that there will be much debate about the point of the Monarchy once the public realizes that it will cost billions of pounds just to swap all of the Queen’s pictures for King Charles’s. I read earlier in Operation London Bridge that there are of course already plans for new stamps, new pound notes and other official things that are now to be exchanged. It’s going to be an incredible hassle and a very costly affair (probably across the Commonwealth) when that happens.

2 Likes

It isn’t actually anywhere near that costly - stamps and currency remain valid and in circulation.

That said, I won’t be at all surprised that when the next designs for Canadian coinage and bills are introduced, there is no monarch at all.

3 Likes

I read an article today about Operation London Bridge, that estimated a few billion.

1 Like
9 Likes

I’m presuming it’s about the whole operation, including funeral arrangements and such?

That must include all eventual replacement costs, unless there are a staggering number of portraits around.

2 Likes

Everything I’ve read suggests much of the changes will happen organically. Things like post boxes only replaced when they would need to be replaced anyway, passports changed when you get a new passport etc.

I think the estimates of cost include these types of changes (eg cost of millions of passports) but it’s only money that would be spent anyway.

1 Like

Errr! A monarchy where Liz Truss takes over from Boris and the monarch doesn’t even whimper, laugh, choke … :rofl:

Different operation as she is in Scotland so one of the lads at work was telling me this afternoon.

Kind of seems fitting that the day after Truss becomes PM the UK is in national mourning.

4 Likes

Hopefully they just leave it the same. I doubt they’re still minting much for coins considering the massive transition to electronic payment.

There will be a new $20 by next year, without a doubt. But I don’t expect to see Charles on it.

Even though the penny is gone and cash is not in much use, Mint still produces about a billion coins every year.

My parents always told me that once you live past 80, then there should not be any mourning but a celebration of life. Nevertheless, I still balled my eyes out when my mom passed at 82.

8 Likes

My mom lived to 89 years.

Been to a funeral like that, where they wanted people to wear bright colours etc. Felt so weird. Mourning death is normal and been vital to healing throughout human history. There’s research into the benefits of ‘wakes’ in Ireland. One of the reasons why lockdowns were so awful

4 Likes

Have to be a big note to fit that nobhead’s ears on it.

That only changes what happens whilst her body is still in Scotland.

Once the train carrying her body crosses into England it changes from Operation Unicorn to Operation London Bridge. At least that is how I understand comparing the 2

3 Likes

Operation unicorn, that’s what I’d heard. Other than the different name I’ve no idea whats going on.