The Steven Gerrard Thread

I absolutely love Alonso, he’s a truly classy, intelligent, refined gentleman and I think in years to come he’ll be a great manager.

But it’s absolutely ridiculous comparing him to Gerrard so far he’s well behind in progress and development.

It would be like having to choose our new default starting creative midfielder and people arguing Musialowski should be chosen instead of Harvey Elliott.

Not all young, exciting prospects are equal or at the same stage of development.

Alonso is at least one successful move and successful reign behind Gerrard.

The pluses for Gerrard are;

1; He’s fully versed and accepted within the culture of the club, he’d “get” us from day 1 and be given time by the fans if there are any hiccups.

2; He’s been involved in the extended coaching set up currently in place here and experienced what has been set up and put in place during the Klopp era, he’s almost certainly going to have done work with Klopp.

3; He’s world famous, players will still want to work with our manager because of what they could learn from him from his playing days/abilities. He’s widely respected, maybe even more abroad than he’s appreciated in England.

4; He’s over achieved as a manager, doing far better at Rangers than could have been expected.

5; His team plays in an acceptable way to how we would want things to go after Klopp. Tactically he is OK here.

6; He’s experienced the pressure of being in charge at a demanding club with high expectations and standards.

7; He’s successfully managed a team through title challenges and won a title.

There is no other manager in the world who hits all those pluses. *If he manages at Villa and can show good football and achieve good results then that’s corroboration that his time at Rangers isn’t a one off blip and he is the real deal as well as proof that he can deal with the hotbed of the Premier League.

Edit: *when :laughing: was typing as it was being announced.

2 Likes

It’s official

I don’t doubt that his status with us as a player will put him in the frame. At no point have I said he won’t or shouldn’t be a part of the conversation, it’s obvious he will be. I asked you to consider if without it you’d be happy with the appointment of a manager with that resume, and it seems to me in your mind that his status as the player should immediately put him either at the head of the queue or at least near the very top and that to is you a more important factor than what he has actually proven in his career in management.

1 Like

It will be an interesting atmosphere when Villa visits us on 11 Dec.

1 Like

I think that’s just your issue with demeaning his achievements as a manager and pegging him in the same category as the likes of Rooney and Lampard.

1 Like

‘Whenever there’s a problem, round adventure bay…’ :weary:
#solidarity

Nope, all I said was that he should rightly be part of the conversation. Your question is pointless imo. We can’t detach his status as a player/personality as that’s part of the package

2 Likes

He’ll get a brilliant reception, then we’ll smash them 6-1. Stoke Deja vu

1 Like

It’s a positive part of the package too. No awkward moments when he doesn’t quite get elements of the culture here or says or does something that isn’t quite right. It’ll also mean the fans are more patient and understanding if there are any rough patches. I don’t see why anyone would see it as a negative.

1 Like

I’m not demeaning his achievements at all, I think he’s done great so far. I think he’s proven that he’s a better manager than both of those you’ve mentioned.

I keep going back to it seeing as you seem to keep missing the point I’m making, I want the absolute best manager me we can possibly get to replace Klopp. I want as close as a sure thing as possible. I want a manager who has proven himself at the top end of a big league and in the biggest European competition. At this current moment in time, I think it’s foolish to suggest that Gerrard is on the level of some of those I’ve mentioned before. That is not me demeaning his achievements, that is me being rational and looking at the facts. In my opinion, those managers would be a safer bet than him at this point in time.

Pirlo isnt a manager in any real sense of the word. He’s just a man with an outrageously big ego who likes to project a version of himself that has been carefully built with the media for a decade.

I can’t think of anyone less suited to management than Pirlo. Guy annoys the hell out of me.

2 Likes

But the best achievements of the managers you keep mentioning and referencing were at times that clubs appointed them when they wouldn’t have fit your definitions. None of our greatest managers would have fit your definitions either.

Seems to be a weird antipathy towards Gerrard from a minority of our fanbase. I don’t mean in terms of becoming our manager but I’m terms of his legacy, don’t know there is a section of supporters who can’t warm to him.

Maybe it’s a generational thing.

4 Likes

Much like trying to debate with you in any of the transfer threads, I feel like I’m going around in absolute circles here.

Why do you keep making that point? I don’t care about what other clubs may have been thinking when they appointed those managers in the past. They took a risk and it paid off for them, good for them. I care about the fact that those managers have those proven track records now.

Also, that’s blatantly not true. Klopp, Benitez and Houllier all would have fit my current way of thinking, and funnily enough they have been the best three managers by a country mile in my lifetime. Far superior managers to Souness, Evans, Hodgson, Kenny in his second spell and Rodgers.

If fans cant warm to Gerrard, Local lad who turned out to be world class and dragged some average teams to Cup wins, then football isnt for them.

Maybe if he was Spanish and cost £100m some would oddly prefer that.

Hes the best player to ever play for us…maybe tied with Kenny.

7 Likes

I sense that too. Feels strange since he carried the club on his shoulders for a decade and gave us incredible memories. That Olympiakos goal is still my favourite LFC memory (possibly overtaken by ‘corner taken quickly…’)

I wonder if his decline in his final year and the constant memes of his slip have impacted his legacy for some.

2 Likes

Good luck, Stevie - against every one but us… :+1:

2 Likes

Good luck to Stevie at Villa,I expect him to do well,except against us,of course.
If he does well at Villa would expect to see him here,as most expect down the track a bit,though,he is probably not ready yet,and Klopp is going nowhere.

1 Like