Climate Catastrophe

The caveat of a data nerd who loves confounding variables

OkĂ© sorry, I don’t always read the (semi) political topics.

Btw, not a big surprise that his speech was not well received on this mainly extreme leftwing forum 
 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

alllll good man, it’s kinda funny to see the reaction from different groups

Most of the speech seemed too self-congratulatory or smug. The first temptation was to switch off, as he used most of his time trying to score cheap points while not really saying anything useful. But I persisted.

Of course we need clean and cheap electricity, and we need to invest more in the technology and science to improve both of those.

It won’t do to essentially shrug your shoulders and say there’s no point in doing anything, because the developing world is going to go through their own industrial revolutions, polluting the world as their vast populations get richer, too.

We need to do what we can, while we can.

1 Like

I don’t know the effect he was going for with his delivery, but being as it’s directed and aimed at the students in the assembly maybe a bit of shock&awe approach to get their attention? he missed the mark a few times. not my first choice of approach

That said, I’m quite enjoying working from home. About time to get the greenhouse&garden prepped soon for growing season. grabbed some lettuce starters already, they’re under lights in my basement with some arugula as it’s still frosty outside in the mornings here. I probably won’t sow til Apr for the most part, but it’s getting close to the time when I order my seeds.

For some reason I cannot start lettuce plants from seed. failed every time.

Ours is great if we’re just commuting 10 miles ish. Once the engine kicks in, economy is bloody awful. After 2 years of ownership, range has dropped from 30 miles to 15. Battery capacity was 14KWh, now down to 7. Fortunately under warranty.

someone told me a long time ago, if you want to buy a car have a look at what the taxi companies are running. they know what the best ones are for mileage and maintenance as they have hundreds running around 24/7. Hence, most taxis here are Toyota Prius hybrids.

my wife drives a Honda Fit 1.5L that sips gas at 6L/100km, even at 200,000km on the odo. keep servicing it regularly and watch the rust and it’ll last another 5yrs. I usually run a car 12-13y until I get a major component failure which costs more than the car is worth. The Hyundai averages 9.5L/100km and I’m only doing 800km/month right now. mostly just local trips to son’s sports and weekends away.

I don’t understand folks here who like paying $1.75/L in gasoline, driving 8000lb vehicles around as daily drivers. that culture makes no sense to me whatsoever.

We know there’s a climate issue, we know that our vehicles are in the top3 for contributing to it next to clearcutting forests and industrial pollution from China. But even the major cities are having a hard time supporting effective rapid transportation solutions in sprawling cities like my own, where I live on the outskirts approx 40km from the city border. The development of infrastructure is lagging behind growth of population.

2 Likes

I don’t know the tax rules your side of the pond but are hybrids massively beneficial before you even fasten the seatbelt?

Makes me nuts. There are 4 F-150s parked at my kid’s school, owned by teachers who use them as commuting vehicles. Reliably nothing more than a hockey bag in the back.

It’s nothing to do with politics but everything to do with lazy pseudo-intellectualism.

Give me the left-wing equivalent and I’d criticise them equally heavily.

Ha, when I was fresh out of university I was looking to buy my first car and so was looking for something cheap and reliable. There was a really attractive offer Ford had on the new Taurus and I was really attracted by it. I was talked out of it by a guy who owned a taxi company for exactly this reason. He knew they were junk
designed to die almost immediately after their limited warranty expired (3 years 30k miles). He encouraged me to buy a Kia instead, which were not well known at the time as relatively new to the US. He described it as unspectacular but unstoppable. He underplayed how unspectacular it was, but it lasted me forever

1 Like

I’d agree with most of what you said, but with the caveat that the taxi companies have different needs to optimise towards. For example, range might be a bigger issue for them, seeing as they might need to clock up longer distances, resulting in a reluctance to use BEVs. Not only that, that also assumes the competency of the taxi companies will override any potentially ossified mindsets regarding certain things.

For example, depending on how often they take breaks while working (or indeed how often it is safe), range anxiety should not really be a problem unless there is a shortage of charging stations, since many models out there now have sufficient range to cover easily 5 hours of driving.

1 Like

100%, their top concerns are

1 - cost to operate
2 - cost to maintain
3 - downtime

the Prius is reliable, efficient on fuel, and the wearable parts like brakes are easy repairs.

I see a wider variety of vehicles on Uber/Lyft operations, but those are individually owned/operated and the vehicles are not running 24/7

2 Likes

They don’t make them with the steering wheel on the correct side :cry:

must be nice to be able to leave a hockey bag in the back :laughing:

Hard-top bed covers are de rigueur for the ‘I need to carry my hockey stuff’ set.

1 Like

Ah well, maybe when the electric models are in wide distribution

yep, with all the rain we get here they’re very common.

1 Like

This - - 16th January :rofl:

Golf clubs, golf trolley, car cleaning kit, and still room for the groceries or DIY purchases.
Most practical vehicle I ever owned.

1 Like