Cost of Living Crisis

Occupancy sensors are perfect for that - most of us don’t spend 7 hours a day in our kitchen.

Cost of most everyday use in the home(irish homes)

Activity Energy of appliance Cost inc. VAT at 9%* Based on
Immersion 3 kW €2.58 2 hours to fully heat 120-litre tank
Tumble dryer 3 kW €1.29 One hour of drying
Cooking (oven/electric) 2.5 kWh €1.08 One hour of cooking
Dishwasher (C rated)** 1.5 kWh per cycle €0.65 Standard 65º cycle
Iron 2.5 kWh €0.54 Half hour of ironing
Desktop computer 0.2 kWh €0.43 8 hours of use
Washing machine (C rated)** 1 kWh per cycle €0.43 Standard 40º cotton wash
Fridge/freezer 0.18 kWh/350kWh annual €0.41 One day running
TV 0.2 kWh €0.34 4 hours of use
Electric shower 9.5 kWh €0.34 5-min shower
Laptop 0.1 kWh €0.20 8 hours of use
Kettle 2.5 kWh €0.18 10 mins of boiling
Lightbulb 60 Watt 0.06 kWh €0.15 6 hours of light
Hair dryer 2 kWh €0.15 10 mins of use
Vacuum cleaner 0.7 kWh €0.10 20 mins of hoovering
Router 0.01 kWh €0.08 One day’s use
Microwave 0.8 kWh €0.06 10 mins of use
Toaster 1.5 kWh €0.05 5 mins of use
A Nespresso 0.9 kWh €0.03 5 mins of use
Daily standing charge €0.83 One day
PSO levy €0.00 One day (reduced from 1 October 2022)
Total €9.92 A day

That’s without heating the home.

1 Like

I don’t understand that table. Cost should be close to a direct function of kWh, and there is no way a Nespresso takes 0.9 kWh to make. It may require 900W for a few minutes, but not a full hour. But even the difference between the 3 kWh of the Immersion heater and the Tumble dryer seems odd. Should that table be the load (power, kW) for the appliance rather than the total energy (kW * time)?

edit: Good grief, just looked at the article and saw Euro 0.43/kWh is the base urban charge!

1 Like

If you don’t know there’s no chance i’m gonna know :joy:.
At this time of year obviously all our bill are going to go up,especially this year,so i was looking for everyday ways in with i could reduce usage.We all know lights and the such but until someone points out that this/that costs more,where do you start to reduce use of things we see as everyday necessities.

Yes, I am pretty sure that the column kWh should be just kW.

Meanwhile, my neighbour at the lake who has a Tesla has worked out that he is driving to his place on the weekends for close to free, because the HydroQuebec rate works out to C$0.05/kWh there, less than a third of the rate in Ottawa. He just needs to make sure he leaves enough charge in the car to drive back on Friday night.

3 Likes

Cooking for and cleaning up after my family takes longer……

How much of the UK’s rise in inflation is being caused by the fall in sterling?

Typical, he doesn’t know how to stay on his feet…

2 Likes

Well most world commodities are priced in $US so it won’t help. You have too see whether this is the strength of the dollar or weakness of Sterling. Usually a good guide is diesel prices because that determines the cost of getting everything else to you.

1 Like
1 Like

So in layman’s terms people are buying less stuff but paying more for it. Sounds like stagflation. Essentially very reminiscent of the oil crisis of the 1970s.

2 Likes

I thought stagflation was basically a given, not just in the UK. Situation arguably worse than in the 70s.

1 Like

I thought was just more dear males?

So many jokes.

I think more recently it is a trend of the dollar becoming stronger but sterling has been declining for a while. I guess my interest is partly because the discussion over the last year or two on inflation has been around the supply chain issues and then the energy crisis. Now i’m seeing more talk of exchange rates

1 Like

The widening gap between the value and quantity is pretty scary. That’s not sustainable

more than 60% of my electrical bill here are “transmission charges”. AKA paying the company for the service, not for the electricity. all those pension jobs…

1 Like

Indirectly, what you are saying is your BC Hydro bill is really cheap…infrastructure isn’t free. In BC, generation costs are really low, but compared to the UK, the transmission distances (and maintenance costs) are enormous. Power from the Bennett dam is routinely routed into metro Vancouver, a transmission distance greater than the length of Great Britain. All that infrastructure serves a small population by the standards of most markets, and BC Hydro operates a ‘postage stamp’ rate system that has electricity at the same price (+/-) across the Province, so your transmission charges are underwriting service to the Interior - the delivered cost of power to some remote locations is mindblowing.

2 Likes

CER – Market Snapshot: Electricity exports from B.C. to California are increasing.

I’m fairly certain that SiteC is being built almost strictly as an investment in sellable power to American interests.

Gee, you think? Of course it is. BC is already a net exporter. The Fort St. John region is a net exporter, although Fort Nelson currently uses a lot of natural gas, so it will allow BC Hydro to reduce use of Fort Nelson. Prince Rupert is still going to be using NG, that transmission line to the coast is already near peak. Once Site C comes on line, the vast majority of the power will reach the Vancouver area, but most if it will turned over to Powerex to sell into WECC (de facto California).

BC has the 3rd cheapest electricity in Canada (after Quebec and Manitoba)

1 Like

Hands up if your plane smashed its undercarriage landing at Price Rupert in serious fog as a child.

Anecdotes :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: