Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 2)

Dems are responding pathetically as expected. The whole “they are all the same” cliche is a perspective that is extinguished with only about 2 minutes of paying attention, but a lot of people who vote dont pay any more than that. And this utter lack of response from leadership is part of what allows the disengaged voter to think that way.

2 Likes

Wrongdoing should be opposed, whether convenient or not. Otherwise it ends in the sort of thing we’ve seen Trump do.

If the Dems aren’t strong on Menedez, it will damage them longer term.

The problem is they are hiding behind due process, which is somewhat reasonable apart from the fact it invalidates most of their complaints about Trump being a candidate again, or even if a bit more abstractly, their complaints about the Supreme Court ethics issues. You can carve out technical differences among the various situation, but it’s just a bad position to take to allow him to go on given the crimes he is accused of his role in the Foreign Relations committee. If he wont resign then they should just bench him…allow him to vote on bills that come to the floor but remove him from everything else. You are not denying him his legal due process by doing that.

It’s amusing that George Santos came out though with such a strong defense of him :joy:

The pressure seems to be building … ;

" As of Tuesday morning, at least nine Democratic U.S. Senators have now called on the twice-indicted senior Democratic Senator from New Jersey to resign, as they cite the gravity of the charges against him.

U.S. Senator John Fetterman (D-PA) was the first to call on Menendez to resign, on Monday. U.S. Senators Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Peter Welch (D-VT) followed later that day.

On Tuesday morning, U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), John Tester (D-MT), and Bob Casey (D-PA) all called on Sen. Menendez to resign. by 11 AM, U.S. Senators Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Jacky Rosen(D-NV), and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) also called for him to resign. "

This fucker has already avoided jail once by the skin of his teeth and , on the face of it , he’s absolutely bang to rights this time. Add in the national security issues , is he really brazen enough to continue and risk losing the seat at a General Election or will he be prevailed upon to do the right thing ?

Booker now too. 11 according to Reuters.

1 Like

New Jersey is gonna New Jersey…

That’s a big one. Could be the one that requires this to snowball to a state of inevitability.

He should resign so he can hurry off to his personal investment advisory business. “Yes, folks. Nothing feels quite as secure as large amounts of cash lying about the house as well as gold bars, which yield nothing.”

But his advice is solid - acquire a role in federal government then get rich while spending 20 years on the take

Just want to say I like Cory Booker. Listened to him give a great speech at a conference I was at a few years back, and at the time I honestly thought one day he would be President. A lot has happened since then, and maybe his star didn’t quite rise as much as I once thought, but he’s a good 'un.

1 Like

https://x.com/oneunderscore__/status/1706778276255932800?s=20

Oh no you were in a car

:joy: :joy: :joy:

What did they think they were getting out of airing that?

1 Like

The first domino ?

https://www.commondreams.org/news/house-gop-aid-cuts

The cruelty is the point. I’ve posted this piece before but I’m always reminded of it when I hear of the latest example of their inhumanity. It’s five years old now , and when it was first published its critics were screaming about liberal hysteria , paranoia and slander. Read it again now and you realise just how on the money the author was. And it also reminds you just how important it is that Trump is defeated again … by any means necessary.

"It is not just that the perpetrators of this cruelty enjoy it; it is that they enjoy it with one another. Their shared laughter at the suffering of others is an adhesive that binds them to one another, and to Trump.

Taking joy in that suffering is more human than most would like to admit. Somewhere on the wide spectrum between adolescent teasing and the smiling white men in the lynching photographs are the Trump supporters whose community is built by rejoicing in the anguish of those they see as unlike them, who have found in their shared cruelty an answer to the loneliness and atomization of modern life."

5 Likes

Good article, that. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

1 Like

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” - Maya Angelou

3 Likes

Republicans blaming Democrats for the mess in their own party, you can’t make this up.

How am I supposed to feel about this?

Fuck him.

His fall from losing the Speakership race in 2015 in a race no one else was even running for to his rise then finally getting the gavel in 2020 says everything that is pathetic about political media

He was the presumptive replacement for Bohener in 2015 but then accidentally said the quiet part out loud about the real purpose of the Clinton Bengahzi hearings. The press already knew the real reason but covered it like they believed McCarthy and his ilk. Then McCarthy made them look bad by accidentally telling the truth in public and so the press ripped him down. They did it only long enough to get their pound of flesh to make him step back from the nomination process. And then 5 years later had just memory holed it when he stepped to the front of the line again.