Ex-player: Naby KEITA

To give a different example, there are reasons also why we were a bit more patient with Kewell at the time. Stuff like starting in Istanbul (a bit unexpected), starting in Cardiff (he had very good spells in that season, playing 41 games, so less of a surprise, but still), getting half an hour in Athens after 46(!) minutes of football in his legs leading to that. And we offloaded some players much sooner, or wanted to get rid of them. Like, I don’t know, Diouf. Or Downing. To give a different examples of a big transfer (in the context of that time), in a similar position. It’s easy to say now we shouldn’t have done it with Kewell because it didn’t work out, but then like I said, sales are not always 100% in the control of the selling club. And I can understand. It’s more complicated than at a FM game, just clicking a few things and changing the whole squad after a year.

1 Like

I have absolutely no issue with Naby playing for his national team. But I feel he has some bad advisors when it comes to his peers at FA, NT, or Guinea in general.

1 Like

Just not even worth talking about any more.

I think everyone is just done now

SO done

Harry Kewell could have been great for us, he was simply electric a few years earlier at Leeds and (then) was just what we would have needed. Unfortunately he seemed to be made of the same stuff as Studge.

2 Likes

Yeah, us signing Kewell at the time and for that fee was one of the most excited I was over a Liverpool signing in my following (and funnily enough, Keita also). Unfortunately he never (at least not consistently) hit those heights. But in the context of that time, I could certainly understand why we didn’t write him off after a year or two, like a lot of others were.

2 Likes

Maybe the lesson here is we should not allow you to get excited over a signing, or we should not sign anyone you’re excited over…

1 Like

There were good times, one of the most (if not the most to this day) I got excited was Suarez. But yeah, there were a few that many of us got excited and it wasn’t as expected in the end. It’s because we rarely bought players who you immediately thought “that’s it, a top player or someone who’s very close to it”. Or someone with very high ceiling.

1 Like

I’d be avoiding any more players from that particular association.

1 Like

Kewell was a bit like the Virgil signing. Everyone knew he was moving and all the tops clubs, most who would have been considered by neutrals as more attractive, were all interested. Yet we got him and it was a big coup. Of course the impact was about as far on the other end of the continuum as is possible, but the excitement the fans had was understandable.

2 Likes

That was my point yeah, that’s why I used Kewell as an example. He was one of the league’s best offensive playes, proven and consistent. United had Giggs on the left, Arsenal had Pires on the left. I was absolutely delighted when we got a player of his calibre and for half the fee (in the context of time) Diouf was signed for a year earlier. And still at the age of 25! Brilliant. That’s part of the reason why some players get a bit more time than others, everyone believes in them a bit more. If only we could get him fit more often, etc.

Keita was less proven, from a different league. But I did see it as a coup at the time. We fought off some big clubs to sign him. Part of the reason why we moved quickly in an unusual deal a year in advance. Usually players like that in Germany either ended up at Bayern or somewhere else, but at a big club. He was expensive, yes. It’s just hard to offload anyone exactly when we want.

1 Like

He was also one of the only positives in his first season, the last under Houllier. It wasn’t a Mo style explosion, but he scored the goals you’d expect of a supporting attacker playing in what was a pretty dire side. I just checked and it was 9 in the league.

2 Likes

Exactly! @Zoran Could you pls confirm that you’re not super enthused by Jude and aren’t sure he’ll do great? Thanks! :wink::joy:

I’d be excited with him, but I have no idea if we can pull it off. Both financially and if we can beat the competition. Who knows what our budget will be this summer, even with the recent “Klopp about to get significant backing” stuff.

Maybe the latter is a good sign. :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe with the season and this lads non-career at LFC petering out… it is time to change the thread title…
To put things into perspective, for his legacy at least… I would go with the one word addition -

Naby Keita: 2022/23 - Unavailable

After such high expectations and buzz when we secured his signature… to the actual damp squib his time here has proved to be, immaterial of the reasons, and as sad as it sounds, but the truth nonetheless, what a waste of time for all parties concerned…

2 Likes

Maybe he could change his name by deed poll.

N/Aby Keïta.

5 Likes

Klopp spending about 5 sentences talking about Firmino and then when it came to Naby it was “and Naby No”.

He’s certainly played his last game, any idea which that was without looking.

2 Likes

Best player on the pitch when we beat Utd 5-0 a5 Old Trafford - I’ll take it.

1 Like

Thought that was Salah, personally.

1 Like

The turn against palace had me salivating. Shame

2 Likes