Former players and managers - general discussion

I remember a newspaper had Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt on the back page with the headline “Winning Ugly”

8 Likes

Joe Cole our worst free signing ever.

I was a huge fan of Bellers. Think Bellamy in his prime under Klopp would be a sensational combination.

5 Likes

Bellamy was the type you’d hate if he was on the opposing team. He was good, if a bit mad.

6 Likes

I remember all of them scoring around 35 goals each on my FM07 save, which lead to me winning the league and signing an extremely injury-prone Lionel Messi after two or three seasons!

Fixed for accuracy :rofl:

1 Like

Rangers in the league.

38 games, 32 wins, 6 draws, 0 defeats. 92:13 goal difference. 102 points.

Well done. :clap:t4:

5 Likes

Invincibles! :astonished:

1 Like

Invincibles*

Needs an asterisk, as it’s the Scottish league.

4 Likes

That’s the monkey off Brendan’s back then, eh? Ran the table in Scotland (okay, the Scot’s sacked his house and took the medals back), now wins the FA Cup. A top manager, surely.

1 Like

Yeah one of the best British managers anyways at the minute if not the best

1 Like

Fowler to manage in England…

Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is in talks with Swindon Town to be their next manager, BBC Radio Wiltshire understands.

Fowler, 46, is manager of East Bengal in the Indian Super League, where he was appointed last year.

The Robins, relegated from League One last month after one season, have confirmed caretaker manager Tommy Wright has left the club.

Previous manager John Sheridan left in April after five months in charge.

Before moving to India, Fowler had spells in charge of Guangthong United in Thailand and Brisbane Roar in Australia.

His assistant in all three of his managerial jobs has been former Everton midfielder Tony Grant, who spent time on loan at Swindon in the 1990s.

Fowler, who had two spells as a player at Liverpool, also played for Leeds United, Manchester City, Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers.

He moved to Australia in 2009 and played for North Queensland Fury and Perth Glory.

2 Likes

Not sure why he is bothering. Doesn’t have what it takes based on his stints to date. Can understand why he wants to be back home and perhaps being manager keeps him in the game but I really think he’d do better working as a centre forward coach or assistant.

2 Likes

Didn’t know where to put this…

But since it’s a general ‘former’ thread, here it goes.

Just logged into Footballia and Liverpool v Alaves was recommended to me like “on this day”.

Realized that on this day, 20 years ago, it was the final trophy of my first season (half a season in fact!) as a Liverpool fan. I was 10. I know a lot of you started following years and decades before, but this is my own little experience so far.

Put all on paper: 20 years, 13 trophies, 19 finals (12-7), 36-34 goal difference (though quite a few were on penalties!).

When you look at it, there’s only one way to describe all that: drama.

Not one final was boring (actually maybe in Madrid it was closest to it), not one final was won after an hour or so. I’m not counting Madrid against Tottenham, that was still only 1 goal difference and until Origi I couldn’t really celebrate properly. 2003 against United it was 2-0 but the final goal also came late like Origi’s.

Birmingham when they were a lower tier side, West Ham were newly promoted to the PL that season, Cardiff were a lower tier side. All 3 times we went on penalties. We really like to complicate life for ourselves. Not even against those could you relax and watch us beat them comfortably by 2-0 or 3-0 after an hour or so.

Alaves finished 10th in their league that season and it was another dramatic final, won by the last golden goal in club football (or football overall?).

Not even in Super Cups against the likes of CSKA Moscow, it was always absolute drama.

I think it’s quite incredible when you look back, there wasn’t a single time I could relax at around minute 60-70 and say “that’s it, another one in the bag”.

I don’t know how I still don’t have grey hair!

Cheers to all of that and looking forward to more of the same for the rest of my life.

:joy: :tada:

11 Likes

Hopefully with many more trophies than in past 20 years, regardless of the amount of drama! :joy: Not saying it wasn’t worth it (you and I and every Liverpool fan who started watching Liverpool in the last twenty years have “won” two CL trophies - as many as Man United after '68. or Juventus in their entire history) but I really wish the likes of Stevie, Kuyt or Suarez had more winner’s medals with Liverpool to show for their commitment and quality.

2 Likes

I was half sarcastic that we will probably continue with a similar average of success! But yeah, hopefully there will be periods with more trophies in between and the average results improves. It goes in circles, I’m sure there will be a bit of everything in hopefully decades to come. That’s what’s exciting to me in last years as a Liverpool fan, collecting memories, not only trophies, but a mix of personnel and events.

1 Like

The 2007 Champions League final was pretty docile.

That UEFA Cup final was a cracker. :rofl:

Just to quote myself…

Do you think you saw everything with Liverpool?

No, there’s an Alisson goal in the 95th minute to try and save top 4.

Onto the next one. :joy:

3 Likes

I did not know Dominic Matteo was going through health issues. Like Jose Enrique, his story shook me

4 Likes

Thanks @Alex

Woy is wetiwing. Extra reason to absolutely spank Palace this weekend.

2 Likes