Former players and managers - general discussion

His underlying numbers are terrible.

3 Likes

Buy for 15m sell on to Chelsea for 100m plus Lavia

On playing in so many positions in his career: ā€œYeah I think goalkeeper is the only one left that I need. Not one I want to play in but if there are a few minutes left and the keeper has a strain, Iā€™ll take that and go in goal.ā€

Millyā€¦legend.

Now equal-second with Giggs on the all time appearances list. Will no doubt celebrate with an ice-cold Ribena.

6 Likes

A bit of a weird oneā€¦

I doubt if heā€™d want to be a just a bit-part player here, but it would be good to have him back ā€¦

Fulham are among the Premier League clubs who have been offered the chance to sign former Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino, 32, who wants to leave Saudi Arabia side Al-Ahli . (Talksport)

1 Like

Rather sad news but I saw this story that Ron Yeats has Alzheimers:

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1743554244593258601?t=Chd3Simk5Vr17e7oh_-XMA&s=19

What might have been with Sturridge.

Easily the best England striker (if he had been fit)

6 Likes

That pitch and that game :see_no_evil:

The way Sturridge finished that, reminded me of Nunez.

Through ball by Shelvey?!

Channeled his inner Xabi there.

He might have had a better career with us if he did that much more often and not as a one of

1 Like

I think thatā€™s what Nunez should be doing. And I do expect him to be banging in goals soon.

Similarities are there between the two except that Sturridge is probably very good on his other foot as well.

1 Like

He was just a bit thick though.

Most footballers are.

Some proper bangers in there. Always seemed to have so much time on the ball. Kane can only dream of scoring these kinda goals.

3 Likes

I was talking about Shelvey

1 Like

I was just surprised that Sturridge managed to play on after he was tackled in that video, (7 second mark)

He was usually out for 3 months after that sort of tackle

It could be the red tinted spectacles, but I honestly thought Sturridge was a better player than Kaneā€¦ apart from the obvious issue that he was let down by his body and couldnā€™t stay fit enough for long enough.

4 Likes

Studgeā€™s problem in conversations like that is that his window was so small. Lots of players have had hot streaks where they looked way better than they were and while to me it is clear that isnt what was happening with him in his early time with us, he just didnt do it for long enough to differentiate it from one of those.

He came to us in midseason and by the end of his first full season he had scored 31 goals in 43 games, all while really playing second fiddle to Luis. During this period he was arguably the best English player. He then fucked himself at the beginning of the following season (thanks, Roy) and really was never fit again and so never approached anything like that again - he scored fewer goals across the next 5 season combined than he scored in the 13-14 season alone

2 Likes
4 Likes

I have friends who are Tottenham fans. Most of them are of the opinion that Sturridge, if fit, was a better player than Kane. The caveat being fitness ofcourse.

1 Like