Former players and managers - general discussion

Really unnecessary and frankly borderline inappropriate comments tbh. Disappointing, but obviously Sepp has made his choice to push for a move elsewhere.

2 Likes

Fun Fact
Slot was a youth coach at Zwolle in 2013/14 and Sepp joined Zwolle academy in 2012.

1 Like

A bit disappointed two fold as I think he is genuinely good enough and itā€™s going cost us a a lot. This needs to stay behind close doors.

I can only assume we are looking for a CB otherwise we look really short in what will be a bigger season potentially.

1 Like

Dont really trust the mail as a decent source for quotes.

All other interviews came across as him wanting to play at Liverpool.

https://x.com/SMXLFC/status/1817148978485408057?t=FjLbb9r_5EtciHnu0wPWIA&s=19

2 Likes

Ah yeah theyā€™ve paraphrased I noticed.

In the last few years weā€™ve been interested in Malick Thiaw (now a target for Newcastle - I really rate him), van de Ven, Yoro and Calafiori.

Sepp is in the same age group, done great on loan and now has a head coach who probably knows him for 10 years.

If he stays here it wouldnā€™t surprise me if he overtakes Ibou in the pecking order.

Isnā€™t this like a Belgian/Dutch media interview thing? Or am I remembering wrongly?

EDIT: Never mind, the link that @rupzzz posted has the actual interview.

I single-handedly ended his and Carvalhoā€™s chances of having stellar Liverpool careers by opening their threads. It seems the curse has spread from the rumour mill to all the other areasā€¦

Clutching at straws here but I think that Salibaā€™s time on loan at St. Etienne was interspersed with similar comments. It even looked like he was about to be sold at some point. Not saying that Van Den Berg is anywhere close to Saliba in terms of current or future ability but I think he can indeed become at least a decent centre back. It would be better for us if he became that at Liverpool, rather than somewhere else (unless thereā€™s a huge sell-on clause inserted in any deal).

7 Likes

This guy needs to want it, to get it. Unless you have shown extraordinary capabilities, a 22 year old is not going to just walk into a club like LFC and gets tonne of playing time. You will have opportunities and you got to show it. Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot will be perfect examples. Elliot especially went out on loan to Rovers, many thought he might not make it but he literally forced his way into an important part of the first team squad. Conor and Quansah would be his immediate inspiration.

Trite clichĆ©s. In any case he already expressed that in the interview, that he knows itā€™s hard here, so while itā€™s his dream to play for Liverpool, heā€™d rather prioritise the playing time he can get for his development.

Like I said above I donā€™t really see anything objectionable, he just wants to play. I think heā€™s probably had the last year, at least, feeling like he was going to make a permanent move away and had that in mind but then Klopp left and the hierarchy changed so he has a new coach and a somewhat new set of decision makers in the upper levels to show his worth to and heā€™s not exactly sure where he currently fits in. He just knows itā€™s hard to break in here and he doesnā€™t want to stay if heā€™s going to be behind van Dijk, Konate, Quansah and Gomez. If Slot were to take a shine to him and let him know heā€™s solidly part of the rotation then I think heā€™d be happy about that.

However, the fact weā€™ve received bids from PSV - small as they are - would imply that weā€™ve at least been open to accepting offers. On that basis Iā€™d say itā€™s at best 50/50 on him staying. We must have put feelers out to say heā€™s available and presumably weā€™ve got other targets we would quickly look to bring in if a suitable offer for van den Berg came in.

3 Likes

I totally agreeā€¦my point was more along the lines of not believing the Mailā€™s massaging of Sepps quotes, that read like hes being a prickā€¦we all know the prick here is the Mail

6 Likes

Looks good to me, though not from a large sample.

Physically looks like he has matured and plays with confidence now, calmness, you can see he tries to talk with his team mates, etc. Itā€™s not like Berg would be only an option for LCB and hence backup to Virgil and hence not playing much. Heā€™s right footed, so he can cover both sides.

Itā€™s not crazy to have a think whether the likes of Quansah and Berg can allow us to see if there are any takers for Gomez. Of if keeping them two at their stages of career among our first 4 options is a bit too much in terms of lack of experience.

But with the starting idea that we need something at CB, which could still be a new player bought. Or maybe we judge that we have enough with these and Gomez perhaps remains as the ā€œ9thā€ defender.

Donā€™t ever be allowed to do a match thread then.

2 Likes

If @Nikola was allowed to start match threads, weā€™d soon find ourselves in the Championship. :wink:

7 Likes

I genuinely canā€™t fault that line of thinking!

5 Likes

Could always head over to Bluemoon and start their match threads, you know, see how it goes sorta thing. More chance of them plastic cunts landing in the championship that way then ever being found guilty of blatant cheating.

3 Likes

Yasser Larouci has joined Watford on loan.

3 Likes

Ryan Kent, 27, who plays for Fenerbache, is close to signing for Leeds after being deemed surplus by new manager Mourinho.

I think every single clause in that sentence was unknown information to me :joy:

6 Likes

i knew about Mourinho, the rest, im in exactly the same boat