Former players and managers - general discussion

West Ham in stunning move for Champions League-winning former Liverpool star Klopp called ‘outstanding’

Story by James Holland

West Ham United have made former Liverpool star Joel Matip their No 1 target to strengthen the defence after the transfer window shut and are stepping up their pursuit of him, it has been revealed.

Matip has been a free agent since July 1. Over the last month, the ex-Cameroon international has been linked with a shock move to Everton, while Bayer Leverkusen were interested in him in case they lost Jonathan Tah.

Neither of those transfers materialised though, and Matip could now head elsewhere. Two days ago, trusted West Ham source ExWHUEmployee revealed that Julen Lopetegui’s side hold interest in capturing Matip.

That same source has now provided an update on the situation. West Ham are ‘pushing ahead’ in their chase to sign Matip. The Irons are also interested in fellow centre-half John Egan, who has been a free agent since leaving Sheffield United at the end of last season, but Matip is their ‘preferred choice’.

2 Likes

Get a steal on them and get Matip in… again

I’ve probably been on record that Joel , when fit , has quite a lot of times been better on that day than Virg

One year contract with an option of another year

4 Likes

As much as I love Joel, think the ship has sailed. Focus should be on getting Virgil’s contract sorted in terms of having an elder statesmen in the defensive ranks/in the squad.

That is an unexpected move. They started this week with new signing Kilman and Mavropanos, with another new signing Todibo on the bench with Coufal. Given who he started and Todibo being new, you have to think if they looking to add to it then it is Coufal on the chopping block and I guess he wouldnt be the first Moyes stalwart this new regime have tossed aside.

2 Likes

There are reasons why they are still on a free after the window.

1 Like

The colossus

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:t2:
Shut up Brendan.

1 Like

Just ignore him. He’s not even worth posting a link about.

1 Like

Yeah , even the wins under Brendan during the 13-14 season aren’t enough for me to have a favourable opinion.

He should have gone prior to that disastarous period.

Found his level anyhow.

The more he talks, the more Swansea cringes.

1 Like

i play football with a few Irish Bhoys…everysooften i like to get them started…

They’re a gentle people, the Irish.

It’s one side of the story, but he’s right.

Lousy way to do it.

I’ve not read or watched the interview, but does he talk at all about how he broke the news to his best friend and assistant how he’d convinced their bosses to sack him just to save his own hide?

6 Likes

not sure, maybe instead of making the players better humans though he should have made the players better players and the bosses better humans?

2 Likes

Completely missed that Bellamy is now Wales manager.

4 Likes

I think Rangers would be the best place for him. I can’t see him ever managing a more prestigious club.

The door could be open for former boss Steven Gerrard to return to Rangers and replace Philippe Clement as manager. (Daily Record)

Apparently Nuri Sahin is now Dortmund manager.

I had to do double check if he played for us, and he has 7 appearances on loan.

2 Likes

Ah yes.

Who could forget that little period where he tried to convert one of the better deep lying midfielders around into a #10 because he thought Wee Joe Allen was his saviour.