Former players and managers - general discussion

I know its subjective opinion, but Agger is two rungs too low on your ladder, in my view. He would fit in to most generations of Liverpool CBs.

2 Likes

Why are we stopping at PL times?

1 Like

Because football didnā€™t exist before the Premier League, apparently.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think heā€™s as good as Hyypia. I think most people would agree with that.

Iā€™ve only put in Premier league players because Iā€™ve only been watching us with any regularity since the mid 90s so thereā€™s no point me commenting on anyone before then. Could have just about included Wright, Harkness and Babb but even then my recollection isnā€™t anywhere near accurate enough to include them in any kind of ranking.

1 Like

Babb isnt on a par with the better players being mentioned here. Wright was good for a short period but never lived up to expectations. From what I remember had a habit of dropping off the back four line creating a gap that could be exploited.

1 Like

Yes, that pretty much stacks up with how I remember it, but itā€™s not like I was watching every game like I do now.

1 Like

Last 20 years

VvD

HyypiƤ - Matip

Agger
Carra

Skrtel
Gomez

Lovren
Sakho - Klavan (dead serious)

Nat Philipps
Kolo

Yes, Iā€™m having Agger above Carra and Skrtel better than Gomez.

I think without the injuries and under a manager like Klopp Martin Kelly could have turned into a very good squad player for a long time.

1 Like

Think thats a bit harsh on Kolo and Klavan. Perhaps Sakho too.

1 Like

And Torben Piechnik.

Ok
If thats the timeframe it obviously rules out Hansen, Lawrenson, Thompson, Hughes etcā€¦

BTW
No one has mentioned Ruddock?
Fucking waster.

1 Like

John Scales.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the timeframe, it was literally just a list to show where I personally rank Agger compared to others Iā€™ve seen with a lot of regularity. I canā€™t objectively rank players that Iā€™ve never watched full matches over the course of seasons.

Feel free to post whatever you like on the subject.

Thereā€™s really no reason for anyone to get offended by a personal opinion of players.

2 Likes

Adam Devine Hbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Youā€™re all talking about centre backs and none of your have given our horse cocked greek god any mention, let alone respect.

article-1329083-0BC02092000005DC-43_306x423

Geezer had beautiful hair too. Really was a marvel to see.

1 Like

What Carra did consistently in (around) the '04-'09 period would still make me put him alonsgide Virgil and thatā€™s actually not even a hard question for me. Very straightforward. Think some people forgot how some players played and how important they were to us. Styles aside, eras aside, theories aside, personal preference aside. If we want to imagine theories and peaks of certain players, thatā€™s a different game. But thatā€™s not reality anymore. Third would still be Hyypia. Then it would be between Agger and yeah, perhaps Matip, but Iā€™d give it to Agger, leaving Matip a bit of room with the fact that heā€™s still active and could climb up.

So, in my time in 22 years so far, those were in my opinion our 4 best/most important CBā€™s. And in that order.

2 Likes

Liverpool legend and former Wales manager John Toshack is in intensive care after suffering complications in his battle against Covid.

Respected Basque daily El Diario Vasco says the 72-year-oldā€™s condition has worsened in the last few hours after medics confirmed he was suffering ā€œserious pneumonia.ā€

1 Like
4 Likes

what a classy guy :rofl:

Is that really 27 years ago? Jeez, where did my life go?

1 Like

Weā€™ve all been there. Well, I have anyway.

2 Likes