Former players and managers - general discussion

To which Owen responded, “people say that, but I’m an animal, aren’t I carra. I was absolutely smashed last nigh. woooorrrr”

2 Likes

Reminds me of the episode of ‘Extras’ with Daniel Radcliffe :rofl:

3 Likes

That makes sense, as any time I hear Owen talking about how he didnt deserve his good boy reputation all I can picture is

2 Likes
1 Like

Jumping on your post because you raise some good points. Personally, I believe (and this is the case with comparing players of different era’s) is that you need to consider the situation/team they were playing in and the style of football being played generally at that time.

For example, in my opinion Maradona is above Messi in best player of all time. I had typed a few paragraphs going into my reasoning but realised I was just waffling.

So regarding LFC best defenders in the EPL I would go for the following.

Joint 1st.
VVD - although he has only been at the club 4 years he has won EPL and CL along with other trophies. Classy, modern day CB, VVD along with Alisson provided reassurance to a good LFC team.
Hyppia - brought for a bargain £2.6m, had 10 excellent years winning many trophies. His height and aerial dominance quickly improved our frailties at set pieces. Scored important goals. May possibly struggle with the modern game in terms of mobility but hey if Maguire is worth £80m….

3rd.
Carragher - deserved of the title of a Liverpool legend. 17 years at one club, 2nd most league appearances for LFC. Lot of major trophies. Style wise he may not have been the most easy on the eye, but he was dedicated, put his body on the line and lived for the Liverpool cause. Was a hero in Istanbul and also done a lot of work with charity. At one point politely returning a pound coin, dropped accidentally by an Arsenal fan in a London Library.

4th.
Henchoz. Thankfully, VAR was not available for our League cup win against Birmingham City. Although he gave away a penalty in said game. Very underrated, as he was playing in Hyppia’s shadow (literally) but he had a very good reading of the game, swept up anything Sami missed in the air and was a perfect accomplice.

5th.
Matip/Gomez - this is probably due to them playing more recently, so I have a better memory. Both very good defenders, slightly different in terms of attributes but both very effective. People could argue that they have been helped by playing alongside VVD, but as with Hyppia you need able partners.

Note: I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion but I do find it strange how there is a portion of our fanbase who are very quick to jump on Joe Gomez’s back. He is 24 years old and has suffered some very serious injuries. He is still young in terms of a CB, but has some really good attributes. I would definitely not get rid.

The rest.
Well no one really stands out, okay Agger was classy and scored that screamer against West Ham (i think) but he was soft, lost a lot of aerials. Would probably be more accomplished in todays game.
Kvarme, Torben, Tanner, Kozma, Coates, traore, etc, were never ever good for us, so highlights;
Ruddock, header against Man Utd in 3-3.
Babb, smashing his nuts against a post.
Scales, someone help me out.
Lovren, scored against Dortmund (I think) but a over confident. Always got bullied.
Sakho, I genuinely liked him but he just didn’t have the mindset. The fact he has disappeared highlights that.
Mark Wright, signed at the same time as Dean Saunders. Had a season or two where he really under performed but then became one of our most important players, lifted the FA Cup.

Finally a big Shout out to Dominic Matteo. One of my favourite players as a child and maybe a blueprint for the modern CB - in that he was very comfortable with the ball.
Unfortunately, he has recently suffered from a brain tumour. I pray, as I know many if you will do for his good health.

I find the lack of faith in Agger in this thread disturbing.

8 Likes

Virgil.
Carra.
Hyypia.
Agger.
Matip.

The rest…

I mean, it’s not like the differences between all of them are the same or huge, but totally objectivelly (no personal taste involved or imagining a higher ceiling or if a player was more fit than he was), this is how I see it and it’s not even that difficult.

The Slab Fridge shouldn’t be mentioned in the same para as those luminaries. Sullied them. Must go deep wash on them to get the stench off.

1 Like

Agger was a superb player. Totally underrated

2 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/JTHohXxPqJEosD53A

1 Like

Agger was a great bloke, a fan in a first team shirt, and overrated as a result.

This current team, if anything, even despite all the plaudits actually continues to be underrated, especially in comparisons to players from our recent past who we liked. For all the sexiness of our attacking play, our title 2 years ago and our current run is based on the rock solid brilliance of our back line. So many tight games were won simply because we gave absolutely nothing up at the back, allowing a 1 goal performance to be a 3 point game.

2 Likes

IMG_20220401_190410

Yeah, Virgil is someone I’d call a superb player. Agger, no.

I had an argument with a journalist from Croatia a few years ago, as one of his colleagues lauded Lovren as an “oustanding CB”. I just asked him what the hell is someone like Virgil then if Lovren is “outstanding”.

:joy:

2 Likes

Loved Big Dom. Injuries weren’t kind to him either. He was comfortable on the ball and a good reader of the game. Great shout.

2 Likes

VVD

Daylight

Agger / Matip / Hyppia
Carra / Henchoz

Not rating the likes of Konate and Gomez yet. This is Konate’s first season and Gomez has hardly been fit enough

2 Likes

Could never understand why he was sold to Leeds of all places.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/vcV1QzPo4FQ

2 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/kenny-dalglish-names-one-person-liverpool-fans-still-have-to-thank/ar-AAVK9Ek?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4211d00f57c44a4fa2bca5f3187aa616

I often share your opinion, and respect your view, but this is just wrong.
Agger was a tremendous footballer, and if he was playing at a more successful time would receive the plaudits he deserved.

The current defence is magnificent. Agger would be in contention to play alongside VVD.

Tremendous footballer, but not quite the elite CB we currently have the club. I think getting to play in front of someone as good Reina definitely hid some of his (relative) weaknesses that we only really saw once Pepe went off the boil and then was replaced by someone who refused to come out of his 6 yard box. All of a sudden then we saw that he wasn’t great at the bread and butter stuff of defending crosses into the box. It’s not that he was any worse than anyone else we had at the club at the time, but as someone who looked the part, had the stature and was raised in a footballing culture that is not adverse to “sticking it in the mixer”, he wasn’t great at it. Compared to the other top defenders in the league at the time - Terry, Carvhallo, Rio, Vidic, or even the man he largely replaced for us (Hyypia). That is what made him a very good but not elite CB IMO.

1 Like