Hookers, lines and stinkers. The fishing thread

Will watch it over the next few days… There is another film advertised next to it called Cowspiracy. Might make a full night of it and watch both

I daren’t, it’ll break my heart watching that.

2 Likes

Yeah, can’t argue.

Still beautifully atmospheric Semmy! Thanks for posting for a Australian who loves the cold and sometimes pines for some real North American gloom and the promise of proper winter snows.

funny, I just put up some Peter Lik prints in my office space I bought in Cairns

Salmon season just opened here on the local rivers. Chinook currently in season, hope to catch a few this year.

just finished a 10-day stint through the north Okanagan area, got to see some stunning lakes. Now I want to move…my Son caught the biggest fish of the week, 2lb rainbow trout off my uncle’s dock in Blind Bay. bent his rod right over.

1 Like

my 8yo had the catch of the day again. Was out on a local major river system knowing that the chinook, pink, coho and chum are all coming into to spawn right now. with the lack of rainfall, the water levels on the rivers are quite low and the salmon are finding holes to hide in. when this happen, the coastal cutthroat trout are usually close by the prey on the eggs laid by the salmon. He hooked into a good one yesterday. kiddo needs a bigger fishing rod now, had to borrow one from a friend for him to chase 8-12lb salmon.

he’s so young that I have him wearing a PFD in case he hooks into spring/chinook salmon that is strong enough to pull him off balance…

since I don’t have anyone near me to give away fishing spots to…here’s the exact location we were standing. to the back right of the photo, you can see the trees on this little island in the middle of the river when it’s at spring/summer flow levels. it’s down about 1.5m at this time of year.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/S8eWBbF9TfcLPyHu9

5 Likes

Had been toying with the idea of not bothering this season. Well that lasted long.

This afternoons effort from a mountain lake thats a touch of a secret gem and awkward enough to get to so it gets left alone. Fishing is always slow but the quality makes up for it. First one is honestly the fatest wild brownie ive ever seen. Second is my record wild brownie. I guess it went 4lbs

1 Like

NICE FISH!!!

I had a lazy sleep-in day on Sunday (weather was shit), was browsing through FB and saw a local post for a garage sale that included fishing gear. I went and checked it out, most of the gear was older stuff but he had three cases of his own flies that he had done. I asked him what he wanted for all of it and they went home with me. I’m set for 5+ years for flies, I figure there’s 500 between the 3 bins. mix of dry and wet, mostly search patterns but some specific ones in there too

2 Likes

Ta. Me and the little’un kind of stared in shock at the second one. Really hsppy with it too. Took a dry fly after I’d seen it rise for something else. Close in too.

Some nice patterns there. Not sure if all would work in this part of the world but pretty certain one or two would. Fish are crazy fussy up here. Any pattern with any glitz to it is ignored. Any fluorescence is ignored. But the great thing is theres a history of local fly patterns tied by locals (and family) and they all work pretty much as well as anything modern.

really, the flies are made to match the bugs here. the brighter colors are generally for aggressive fish like steelhead and sea-run cutthroat trout here on the west coast. Cutties LOVE that burgundy leech pattern with the bits of red and gold in it.

the pumpkin-heads in the bottom tray are a great rainbow search pattern, very effective. the bright red ones in the corner will be used for trollling on a 15ft leader behind my boat on Alouette lake, on a sinking line. Kokanee love those

really it’s just nice to have options. the fella who made all these has been fishing locally for 45 years and knows what get bites.

1 Like

Went for an evening trip to the top of my local lake, ran out of time and only made it ⅔ up before turning around. Dipped the line for a bit but no takes

2 Likes

Busy weekend so far. Got the little’un started fly casting (10 years old). A couple of successful sessions in a local lake chasing some fussy stockies.

And started the process of restocking the gly boxes. I think i need some new glasses. Happy considering i’m out of practice at the fly vice

Isn’t that an art…

Sort of I guess.

In many cases you’re trying to mimic real insects. Not sure if that counts.

Those look fishy! Well done!

I was able to fish the Skeena and Copper rivers in July, some beautiful waters up north

3 Likes

The world is a beautiful place, ruined by human beings.

Get away to somewhere remote, like the place in your picture, and you really start to realise how much we have fucked up this planet.

1 Like

2 Likes