Joël MATIP: 2021/22

Please don’t Joel…

Come on! Who didn’t love the low-key shithousery of Joël putting a saddle on Wilson’s back and riding him 10 yards before putting him to the floor.

Then after that Jason Tindall barking at him only for Joël to respond with his signature shrug and sour face. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Flashes of prime Iniesta at times. Exactly knows when to drag the ball forward, how to shield it and dribble just perfectly. Even releases it timely which many midfielders can’t do as well. Genius.

3 Likes

Unbelievable again today Joel Messi for sure.

2 Likes

He needs to do better with his decision-making in the final third though, you can see him just freeze as he approaches the box…

1 Like

3 Likes

He was great again. Has to be on his best season.

2 Likes

Is he doing that well? Some highlight reel dribbles which achieve nothing?

The right side channel between him and Trent is a free chance time and time again. Both of them need to sort it out, so until any opponent left winger doesn’t get the freedom of the pitch that he isn’t playing well.

He seems to be a very likable guy and he is some sort of a cult figure but I’m not impressed most of the time with his defending, his passing is weak and his dribbling mostly leats to nowhere. For a guy his length he is a poor header.

I play Konaté every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Our best performer by a country mile, our only player that seemed able to run with the ball.

1 Like

I’m at the point now where I’d quite like to see something happen with one of those Slalom runs.

3 Likes

Apparently we should have sold him last year.

That aged well

And for peanuts. What about that block in our area. :clap:

1 Like

At least one half decent pass would be nice or a shot, make the keeper work. It’s goy to the stage now where they are only good for making the opposition foul him to win a freekick but they’ve stopped doing that coz they know they can leave him on the ball till he runs himself into trouble. He’s got to start mixing it up a bit. It’s like a Bambi on Ice pale imitation of what Agger used to do only Agger would lay a through ball on for someone or take a mean long range shot.

1 Like

Yes but Matip does not have a mean long or short-range shot, well if he has one he has hidden it very well.

Would just like him to actually pass the ball and the movement up the pitch actually count for something!

Thankfully, thus far, you’ve not been a particularly good judge of players…

His passing isn’t even weak, it’s just pointless for him to do fancy things when he has Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, and Fabinho to pass to on a regular basis.

1 Like

Thank you I wish I could say the same about you …

His dribbles are okay, but for me he’s reading the game better. Quicker interventions, better positioning.

2 Likes

Even without his dribbles Joel has clearly been our best CB this season.

Expected him to be sent off or subbed after his early yellow yesterday but he survived.

Said this early in the season - Virgil probably needs another full pre season to get back to his best imo.

The same time a player has been sidelined is usually needed back on the pitch to fully recover from a long term injury.

2 Likes