Jürgen Klopp: currently still the Boss

Agree with pretty much everything in your post, but I’d like to play Devil’s Advocate with the above.

Whose job is it to to boost the players’ morale, to get the right back room team in place, and to keep the squad refreshed?

I’m not one of the Klopp Out brigade (in fact, I’m not sure that there even is one) but let’s not absolve him of all responsibility for our current predicament.

3 Likes

He needs money :moneybag: and lots of it.

This isn’t true,look at Brighton. We need to go back to what made us great, joined up scouting and coaching.

The one player who has delivered all year calling out his team mates for their attitude should worry the fuck out of you, but keep burying your head in the sand. He specifically says that despite us having injuries it can’t be used as an excuse anymore, that indicates he thinks his team mates are making excuses.

This team was one built on everyone digging eachother out, fighting for eachother every second of every game. None of that happens, it’s all finger pointing and gesturing when someone fucks up.

Salah was being snide twatted by Real players all game, not a single response until Harvey came on and left one on Nacho.

Watch the video of Robbo talking about the Barca come back, how they went out in that pitch expecting a war, to go down fighting, to take no prisoners… that mentality has gone, it needs bringing back.

2 Likes

Did Brighton compete on 4 fronts last season? They produce the odd star like Southampton done a few years ago.

Odd star?

Cucurella (£15mil) sold for £50mil
Bissouma (£14mil) sold for £25mil
Trossard (£13mil) sold for £22mil
Mitoma (£2mil)
Caicedo (£3.5mil)
Mac Allistair (£6mil)
Ferguson (free)
Buonanotte (£4mil)

Over 3 years… All of those would walk into our 1st team bar Ferguson whose 18.

They are signing players by following basically the data analytics structure we pioneered.

Arsenal have built a title winning side doing similar.

Would they be able to challenge on 4 fronts right to the very end in a season. :thinking:

Would the current LFC team?

Less than 12 months ago. :grin:

But now?

We couldn’t compete for a tea cup.

7-0 only recently :grin:

No idea, they are building slowly but surely. Europe next season by the looks of things. A very well ran club, something we used to say about ourself.

Exactly. My point was although he was too loyal he realised what had to be done and did it and built another great side. Hoping history repeats itself.

All doing very well and Brighton are a great example and are playing lovely football.

But it’s been pointed out before, the pressure and expectations of playing for Brighton are greatly less than playing for Liverpool. These unknown players can be signed, play and settle in while being afforded the luxury of making mistakes and learning from them. This naturally helps their development and progression that most likely not happen at a club wanting to challenge for the league and CL.

Southampton were the same for a number of years but have lost their way. Hopefully the same doesn’t happen to Brighton.

On that list you’d definitely be thinking the majority would make a difference for us.

Looking at Napoli, they are what we were the past few years. Hungry, aggressive, fighting for every ball. I’m certain we’ll be back.

2 Likes

Do you want me to link you the players they signed and for how much? :slight_smile:

My point being there is value out there in the market, we used to be world leaders at finding it.

And interestingly, a lot of the pre-season analysis was centered around how they’d cope with such a young side and the core of their last generation finally moved on.

No link necessary thanks.

I never said there isn’t value out there. What I said was coming to Liverpool, the Liverpool of the past 4 years or so, meant you were ready to fight and not still in the developmental stage of your career.

Similar to ourselves as we approach the summer window.

Which now provides us an extra challenge. Had we have made some of these Brighton style moves over the last 24 months some of those players they would have had the time to build themselves up into players who could justify us moving on the old guard. Now we need to do that, without the players in place, it means the new guys have to hit the ground running. There is no time for a Fabinho style 6 month acclimation process.

1 Like

I think fans are taking things too far. 10 months ago. That’s when we were still on for the quadruple. We had the same midfield. Unfortunately many of them mentally walked over a cliff and haven’t returned. Maybe never will. Not taking measures to stem the mental rot after such a devastating end to the season certainly has come at a cost. That lack of action is on everyone in the hierarchy from Klopp up, who all didn’t see it and they were the ones best placed to see it.

You could also argue that us playing a very different style in the forward half with Mane’s departure and having injuries to those players that knew the old style (Jota and to a lesser extent Diaz) further compounded performances on top of the poor confidence levels.

On top of that, yes we should also have been better planning for succession even then. I admit I didn’t think it was necessary at the time. It appears Klopp didn’t either. After all, almost winning the quadruple should mean the same players can do it again but clearly they couldn’t. I am confident players like Thiago and Henderson (in a more limited capacity as he ages) can regain that same form with the right new players around them.

A club doesn’t go from being extremely well run to poorly run in a single summer.

3 Likes