Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Unlike playing staff, cutting support staff would make barely any difference to the costs of running an elite football club

7 Likes

“As said earlier the club operates over a multi year time frame so can and will increase spending in particular years while being more circumspect in others - thats generally how most businesses operate”

That’s fair and reasonable. However the clubs net spend over various years is well below other top six clubs. Let alone other clubs in the league. Net spend is far from everything. Wages are the most significant cost. However not sure we’re going much over the boat there either.

Spurs and Arsenal do spend less on wages certainly, but if we look at wages as a percentage of revenue, then the percentages are probably not too dissimilar either.

5 years - Liverpool ninth highest transfer spend across current clubs in the league.
United £547m
Arsenal £440m
Chelsea £383m
Spurs £331m
Liverpool £221m
City £217m

10 years - Liverpool ninth highest transfer spend across current clubs in the league.
United £1.178bn
City £965m
Arsenal £735m
Chelsea £572m
Spurs £391m
Liverpool £343m

Klopp since 2016/17
United £899m
City £647m
Arsenal £582m
Chelsea £516m
Spurs £419m
Liverpool £229m

Klopp by all means also inherited the worst team of the top six at the time.

2 Likes

It’s patently obvious from the midfield we put out against forest that we don’t currently have enough quality there to be competing for the PL. We can argue that unforeseen injuries or differing recruitment policies or budgetary restrictions are the reasons but ultimately it doesn’t matter: if we want to compete for the PL we need a significant rebuild before the start of next season to bring in at least two potential starters. And going forward we should be bringing in 2-3 potential first team starters every year (along with youthful potential like Elliot and Carvalho) if we want to ensure this doesn’t happen again and the squad goes stale. Otherwise FSG must realise by now that we will be scrapping for CL participation each year not CL and PL prizes.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but this is where it gets silly.

We need to buy players according to need, possibly slightly ahead of need. But we don’t need to be buying three first players a year regardless of context. Klopp would fucking hate that.

1 Like

Absurd take. Getting rid of doctors and physiotherapists would accomplish nothing.

Furthermore, the notion that there is a disconnect between Klopp and the owners, let alone that there are at loggerheads needs to die a quick death. If you want to blame someone for the lack of recruitement, then blame all of them. Klopp, Ward and the owners.

6 Likes

I’d say we should have about 18-20 players who can be first team starters to be competitive with cheaty. 2-3 first team starters each year means the squad is turned over in 7-10 years which seems fair enough? The best liverpool sides were turned over, year after year rather than allowed to age in place together.

1 Like

If you think we’re not already rejuvenating the team you’ve not being paying attention.

I think too many people are looking for an easy scapegoat to a complex problem.

3 Likes

I’d love to see the reports on this…please provide.

I’d say that the row in the media regarding Klopp’s comments, about trying to compete with the clubs with bottomless pockets are falling on deaf ears.

Our gaffer is getting raked over the coals over his financial doping comments and you all want us to do exactly what he’s against…

As a group of supporters are we really that tone deaf? Because in this and the WWYB and FSG threads it sure feels that way.

13 Likes

You won’t, it’s made up.

1 Like

when did we have that devastating run of injuries over the winter…when we were playing Rhys and Phillips as a CB pairing? was that 2020, patchworking a side together?

Interesting that Conte sort of elaborated on it yesterday and Moyes showed support.

Evidently it’s of wider concern.

3 Likes

I think so yes.

I’d hazard a guess 2016 2017 2018 2019 and 2020.

Very likely 2021 as well.

of course it is, but money talks. some folks think it grows on trees. that’s it’s an owner’s responsibility to annually have to dip into their own pockets to be competitive, because the fans demand it.

fuck me, if this sportswashing-immediate-gratification mentality is what society is teaching the young minds coming up… we’re screwed.

4 Likes

The custodians of the game have let us down. They are damaging sporting integrity, which will ruin their own “product” (ugh) in the long run.

People need to club together to stand up for a more robust FFP, at the least, to say nothing of the character of the state owners that pass the fit and proper owner test?

9 Likes

Jürgen not happy with the medical department

1 Like

I sort of guessed this was coming his comments in the past seemed to have suggested it.

“Liverpool’s club doctor, Jim Moxon, left his role days before the season started, with two temporary staff members fulfilling the duties since.”

I had missed that part. Having no permanent doctor at the club is very unprofessional for a massive club like LFC. I wonder what prompted the departure of Moxon.

2 Likes