Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

You first.

5 Likes

Hold on, so he’s actually saying that he’d like to buy players who are currently available, but that no money is there to get them? :astonished:

If that is true, then @Mascot ‘s and others’ theory about a shitload of money being ready to be splurged for players when they become available, seems to be wrong.

1 Like

Well I’m not a native speaker so I could be wrong but that is what I’m reading too.

So I’m even more puzzled why we have to spend £37m on Gakpo when we have Diaz and Jota for that position.

Another 4 months at least before you next comment would be great. Thanks

3 Likes

What theory? it wasn’t even that… It’s made up pretense bull shit.

If people understood even the basics of business you’ll know you don’t start off a project…carry the principles of that project for on 10 years straight and then suddenly on the 11th year go “Actually you know what peeps, change of plan…here’s a treasure chest I found with 200m inside, feel free”

Thing is, neither is Jürgen so there could be multiple errors in translation.

Not a personal attack (tone is really hard to master over text), but did either of you or @Dutch watch the interview?

From my impression he’s saying it’s not it’s some magical situation where we have shit tons of money and the players are available, which seems to be the fantasy wonderland that the journalists are operating in.

It could very well be that (a) we have no money but the players are available, (b) we have the money but the players aren’t available, or (c) neither of the conditions are fulfilled.

All of which doesn’t matter according to him because regardless, our issues are not to be solved in the transfer market, but on the training ground. Which jibes with the theory of our struggles being down to the inability to work with a settled squad.

21 players missing at least 1 match due to injury this season speaks for itself. It’s not even that the usual “sicknote” scapegoats missed every game while we had a core we could work with. It’s literally that we’ve had so many injuries all over all the time that we are constantly disrupted with. Even Bajcetic got injured, and Gordon who would probably expect to feature in the first team or at least out on loan this season has been injured. It’s no coincidence that 2020-21 started improving once we had a more settled core, and if we can fix that then we should improve pretty easily.

Sure we can splash the cash wildly if we had the cash, but I think Jürgen is not the kind to throw his players under the bus, so we’d either have to let some go right now, or have someone turn up to buy them, or just leave them out of the squad altogether. For a manager whose people skills are a massive draw for players to work with him, I don’t think he would do that, and I think that’s what he meant by the last bit of the answer.

5 Likes

I know we’ve got injuries in the forward line but the Gakpo transfer is pretty bizarre if we don’t have any money left for a midfielder. I’m sure we could have got a decent one for £37m.

1 Like

I understand what you mean, but then again, the club isn’t in the same position now than it was ten years ago. The revenue stream was much less, we didn’t have all that CL money in the coffers, the stadium was smaller and our shirt sponsoring wasn’t as lucrative as now. So, fsg and Klopp had to be relatively frugal and play a blinder with the players they got in. Which they did to their credit.

Now, the situation is wholly different thanks to our recent successes, so it would be logical to assume that we have more money at disposal for transfers than a few years before.

Anyway, this quote from Kloppo puts a definitive nail in the coffin of the Bellingham stories, or Enzo’s, or … (insert latest fancy and expensive name).

2 Likes

We needed a forward arguably more than a midfielder. We have two out with long-term injuries and a third who keeps having recurring issues. We are lighter in the attack. The midfielders have had a better track record of availability.

Regardless and no matter the reason, if we don’t bring in at least one midfielder until the end of the month, we might as well forfeit whatever is left of the season.

Except he didn’t actually say it. :wink:

1 Like

Didn’t he just say the same as he always does really.

If a player becomes available at a reasonable price we may buy. That’s how I saw it.

1 Like

Klopp letting his emotions get the better of him again…and it’s not so much from the exceedingly boring ultra repetitive journalists who have the minds of a cement wall, it’s because he knows once again the burden is on him to get a tune out from these pensioners for the next 6 months and perhaps even 3.5 years (if he decides to stay that long)

Let’s be honest here 18 months-2 years from now we’ll need about 8 new first team players.

A lighter mood - Klopp showing he doesnt know who Nedum Onuoha is

Yeah the club hasn’t bought anyone for several years now.

2 Likes

From the first half of the response it sounds a bit like he’s saying we dont have the money to do anything in the window. What he goes on to say in the second half a pretty clear support for what you’re saying. He’s pretty clearly making a bigger point about the lack of joined up thinking in people who focus so singularly on making new signings. His point about the futility of buying a forward because we have injuries drives home the point the considerations that go in deciding to make a move are about far more than JUST do we have the money to sign someone.

2 Likes

Doubt many high profile managers moving to England to manage a club here for the first time would have much free time to be watching games at the bottom of the championship to know who the likes of Nay-dum On-who-oh-hah (I think that’s how you pronounce it anyway) are…then again I could be wrong.

What a strange response.

You misquoting people again Matty?

That’s harsh, I thought Onuoha was a decent player.

:slight_smile:

It’s all getting a bit twitchy.

Sale, in whole or part, unresolved.
Lots of midfielders on the books, but the engine room needs an overhaul.
How much money do we have?
Are teams having a laugh on the fees they expect?
Are the players we want available?
Staff turnover, several key ones, is concerning.
We seem to suffer too many injuries.
If a new team is evolving, it is currently between what was and what will be.
Top four more competitive than ever, and it is touch and go there for us.

Walk on Jurgen. We are with you!

YNWA

3 Likes

Think that’s why he was annoyed.

1 Like