Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

He has got to say stuff like that to lull the money out of John when the time comes!
I reckon he gives us another two years on top of what we have him for

2 Likes

I’m still pretty sure he will sign up til he is 60 and then go as he has always said. Before he signed the last contract it left him a gap long enough to manage elsewhere now the gap is very short And I really can’t see him managing at International level myself.

Like everything else it’s a let’s see. I do think he will quit at 60 mind.

1 Like

We know this for a while.

Doesn’t mean it can’t change, but that as things stand, he will probably leave in 2024.

Anyway, I don’t see him retiring at Liverpool.

1 Like

I do, unless he has designs on the national side. It’s probably the only job I can see him go for, I doubt he will go back to his first club and I do think he will retire at 60. It’s a short time frame to takeover especially for someone like Klopp.

1 Like

In his ITV interview it could be interpreted that he was open to the idea of extending his contact.
I think he realised that, and now with his latest comments he’s now looking to shut that idea down. :frowning:

Really hope he changes his mind :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thing is it would be every second question for the next two years if he hadn’t.

2 Likes

He should shut it down and say he is going, for two reasons: one, if that’s his intention, and two, to be clear and hopefully stop the speculation and question. It’s still a long way off and there’s plenty of football to play, and plenty of things he can still win here.

Obviously if there’s a surprise along the way and he extends again, lovely, but I slightly feel for him having to answer this stuff so far out from the date.

I think the point is that he currently feels he may stay; it will depend, at this point he is saying, on how he feels in ~April 24. I expect in the lead up to 2023-24 and during the season the questioning/speculation will be such that he will come out with something more definite before that point. I think if we are playing well and the team is still evolving; have won the CL and/or PL and look like we can win them again and VAR/media/living in UK stuff isn’t too oppressive then he will extend. I think last season the VAR and Covid’ stuff took away most of his enjoyment (like us all) and I get the feeling if football isn’t positively energising and he has another season like that he will walk.

3 Likes

I think that summer before will probably be when we find out end of the 2022-23 season I think now would be a distraction and could impact on signings and contracts with players

1 Like

I was wondering if the new Champions League format had any impact on his thinking. Probably not, but I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to get out before that bullshit started.

2 Likes

:rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Paok8GT6U

3 Likes

Currently longest serving managers in the big leagues.

1 Like

“See you in 2024 when I takeover from Hansi.”

:joy:

1 Like

Whatever he decides to do in 2024, I suspect whatever he says right now is to keep as much of the media hype down as possible. Of course, we have a huge fan base, and the journo’s can see how much it worries us, so they will write about that, feeding the snowball and causing a rucus.

Like all of us, I want him to stay on beyond 2024. I also believe that as long as he’s happy, he won’t leave. I will, however, not let that dominate my mindset, and instead I’ll focus on enjoying the football now. We have a fantastic squad, are in a good place, with fantastic owners (compared to the rest at least), and with Klopp in charge, there’s a real chance the Anfield champions wall will need adding to again in the next two years.

On whether Jurgen decides that the new CL format is fucked, and he decides he doesn’t want it, it could be the other way - a new challenge, that he would want to take on.

5 Likes

I think he will leave when his current contract ends because that is what i think he has previously said he has promised his wife.

1 Like

Well we all need to club together to buy something slap up for the wife then, eh?

3 Likes

I thought he promised his wife he would retire at 60?

I don’t remember the other one.

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

4 Likes

The fascinating thing is if there are no changes in this plan, how it will affect the players.

Fergie’s announcement of his pending retirement after the season is often seen as the reason for Utd’s malaise in 01-02. The idea being the players dropped their standards because Fergie’s wrath was seen as no longer a motivating force for them if he wasnt going to be around to impact the effect of it. It’s difficult to argue with his success, but that narrative speaks to something poisonous and provides an interesting contrast to Klopp. If there is no change in plans and we go into 23-24 with everyone treating it like his final season, do you think it is more likely that our players respond the same way or that they somehow dig deeper to find an extra gear from somewhere to honour the man in final season?

4 Likes