Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Let’s hope he’s saving his call in for ten years from now to call out some current United player as pundit making a fool of himself when we lose heavily to Aston Villa.

Not really, that would involve us losing heavily to Villa.

I’m surprised Agbonlahor hasn’t brought up the thinking we took at Villa Park in the Covid affected season

I suspect he knows its not worth it, particularly as that would insinuate that Klopp thinks we arent capable of bad performances. Given Klopps post Fulham comments, Gabby would be pissing in the wind.

2 Likes

We did
7-2 :frowning:

2 Likes

Jurgey should be on the Cover of Vogue or GQ magazine :heart_eyes: :heart:

4 Likes

yes he does!!

Of course he does but we got poor billionaire owners.

1 Like

Difficult to disagree with this article. As I have said before, right now we seem to be too reliant on the tried and trusted. We need a shake-up particularly as several of our midfielders could be leaving after this season. Is the apparent reluctance to change down to the Boss or is it down to FSG? Anyway, it know seems that the Boss has accepted that we need to buy at least one midfielder. Personally I think we also also need another forward as Bobby seems to have totally lost his edge.

Meh. We’re three games into the season. If we’re still in trouble when the World Cup starts, this article would mean something; as things stand, it’s just premature extrapolation.

6 Likes

[quote=“cynicaloldgit, post:1781, topic:48, full:true”]
Meh. We’re three games into the season. If we’re still in trouble when the World Cup starts, this article would mean something; as things stand, it’s just premature extrapolation.
[/quote]
Oh baby

you had me at “sod off you dirty bugger”

We’ve looked incoherent and shattered for about 40 minutes and then the last 50 we seem on it.

Really not sure what you can take from that, Man Utd was by far the worst of the performances but Palace and Fulham was odd.

1 Like

More importantly, it focuses on the players lacking that percent of freshness in their game, while simultaneously ignoring that a lot of key players are out injured right now.

Also, this journalist fails to notice that when at Dortmund, Klopp managed to put things right in the second half of that really peculiar season, when they found themselves at the bottom of the league at Christmas.

As you say, it’s far too premature to write us off, or to pretend that Klopp has come at an end with us. He’ll put things right, I’m 100% sure of this. But of course, to do this, he needs a majority of fit players, so we need to stay patient for the time being.

2 Likes

Klopp openly admitting that he was wrong about not needing another midfielder proves once again how special he is. And even that is generous on his part as when he said it, it was more a case of “it would be nice to get another midfielder” instead of “we absolutely have to get another midfielder”.

Anyway, we are blessed to have him.

6 Likes

Well I only changed my mind about that last week so he’s in good company…

As much as I’d like to see a midfield reinforcement it’s not the answer to everything right now and I’m sure Klopp knows that. In his presser yesterday he talked about only the Fulham performance being unacceptable which presumably means he thinks the United performance was but I can’t remember seeing a Liverpool team under JK so stretched out across the pitch. Miles between all of them which made it impossible to keep the ball and left us wide open when we lost it.

I wonder whether Ancelotti’s ‘predictable’ comments got under his skin a little and he is trying to be even more unconventional as a result. I did not understand the tactical plan on Monday and I don’t think the players did either. We need to go back to basics starting today. Get the players in a familiar environment doing familiar things. Obviously injuries and a hangover from last season is a big problem but trying to add in radical tactical variations on top of that has not helped.

2 Likes

To be honest with you, I think of the players who were unavailable for the Utd game, only two would have been guaranteed starters; Nunez and Thiago. The lack of freshness was apparent in all departments, except perhaps GK. A few days after the Utd game, I saw a Tweet which showed our line-up at this point four years ago and there were only two differences between now and then: Mane and Wijnaldum. I know that was due to a confluence of injuries and a suspension, but it does indicate that maybe we have become a bit too reliant on “the tried and trusted”. Some of our heroic lads are starting to look more like the ‘tired but trusted’.

Change is good and hopefully Nunez will prove to be a positive change in the forward line, and I’m very glad that the Boss has accepted that fresh blood is needed in midfield. But I do think that LFC managers from years gone by would have seen the need for a change in midfield before this started.

1 Like

Thing is, it’s not just the starters though if Klopp has a full compliment of CM’s he can change aspects the only attacking changes he could make on Monday was Carvalho and Tsimikas (kind of). Say you have Thiago and he isn’t working and you replace him and Keita plays well (which he is capable) dynamics can change, Jota could provide the spark as he often did from the bench in his first season and at times last.

Without options Klopp’s just throwing on someone and hoping. We smashed them today so it’s not needed but that’s were a bench is important and at the moment due to injuries there isn’t any options not if your winning or losing to be fair.

6 Likes

12 Likes

The 806 goals scored under Klopp

Premier League: 566
Champions League: 131
League Cup: 46
FA Cup: 36
Europa League: 17
Community Shield: 5
Club World Cup: 3
Super Cup: 2

Incredibly, as reported by Opta’s Michael Reid, Klopp is the first Liverpool manager to have three different players score more than 100 goals in his tenure: Mo Salah (159), Sadio Mane (120) and Roberto Firmino (100).

That trio make up for 379 of the 806 goals, that is 47.02 percent.

3 Likes