Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

How can you reinvent with the same old dogs?

This team is past it, quicker people come to terms with that the quicker we can move on.

Probably meant reinvent our expectations for the next few years.

4 Likes

Jurgen needs now to pick players on form not reputation, although with how we are looking there aren’t too many currently on form

Bit harsh on Alisson that.

And Diaz

Probably out for 4 months now so irrelevant.

Wait until Jones, Naby and the Ox :ox: are fit to play. :grinning:

Hate seeing him like this.

These old dogs chased the quadruple to the very end just a few weeks ago. Maybe, the reinvention wasn’t necessary. I think, Klopp tried/is trying to adapt the players to a new plan rather than devising a new plan that suited the players.

Also, I don’t think the players aren’t as hungry and sharp as they were before.

1 Like

In football, confidence and morale is everything. I hate to bring the Ukraine war over to the Klopp thread, but just as in war when you lose morale and the opponent gains it, you are constantly on the back foot, nothing works and its a difficult thing to turn around.

We are in a situation where its clear everyone in the team is down and the lack of cohesion (you can see that with passing, positioning, lack of overlaps and general understanding between players etc) because of this is really hurting us. The physical but more importantly mental fatigue carried over from the previous season, where it ended terribly, is still evident.

Its a tough thing to turn around and unfortunately with the constant games we have coming, the only thing we can do is play through it until our fortunes turn around.

2 Likes

It must be so frustrating for Klopp. As weird as it is to say, we might be a really good team, and indeed we were certainly by far the better team for at least 45mins at the Emirates.

But they keep making these fucking horrible basic errors.

I can’t remember who said it yesterday, but in the space of a couple of months we’ve gone from being the most intelligent team in the league to the most stupid. We were absolutely peerless at making the right decision in moments, to being guaranteed, 3-4 times a game, that someone will do something absolutely catastrophically stupid.

That seems to be the gist of it to me. Napoli game aside, no-one has schooled us. No-one has turned up and given is a lesson in how to play football. And it’s not like the attacking side has gone - we’re scoring goals, and creating chances.

I’m not buying that it’s a recruitment issue, notwithstanding that we could have done with a midfielder. The idea that what we are seeing is the result of neglect over the last five years doesn’t bear out for me. I think as fans we’re guilty of making everything a recruitment issue, because it’s all we really understand. Like how when all you have is hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

It’s games being lost in 5-10 minute spells where we just inexplicably forget how to fucking play football. If I had to guess, I’d say that a mental fragility has crept in, possibly from coming so close to immortality last year? Possibly from City cheating their way ahead of us year in year our.

I don’t know how a coach responds to that.

4 Likes

The only way is getting some player(s) from the outside who don’t carry those scars.

And our midfield as a collective have demonstrably dropped in their ability to cover ground at a rapid rate, which is crucial to how we play

2 Likes

Tired Monday GIF

Well @Mascot you said “I don’t know how we solve this”

And I’m a problem solver :rofl:

2 Likes

@JU97ICE @Mascot Yes, it’s about confidence, it’s about staying focused. On the other hand, the players will not regain those while making mistakes playing intricate, high-octane football. Considering their physical and mental fatigue, I feel it’s better to adopt a safer, more conservative approach.

Doubt it. They’re not going to gain confidence, or build the requisite muscle memory and everything else needed to be successful at our game – which took well over 3 seasons to develop in the first place – if they’re playing a conservative game different to what they would normally play.

We need to train and play with the system we intend to use, otherwise we will never get into it.

1 Like

That begs the question, is that the right system for this group of players? Because it seems not at all. And by persisting with it we are destroying individual and collective confidence that will be hard to regain

1 Like

I think certainly from Jürgen’s perspective, we haven’t changed that much system-wise in terms of defending, at least, since last season.

I’m basing this off his comments in the post-match press conference after I think it was Brighton? He mentioned how teams have known for the longest time how we play, but recently they’ve gotten better at playing us when we’re not at our best.

Makes sense to set up a system and run with it, I still think pre season is a massive anomaly in all this. Dare I say they got preparation wrong plus injuries and ageing squad it all goes together.

If this 4-2-3-1 (or 4-4-2 as Klopp suggests it is) is the system he will go with then so be it, it’s as good as the sum of its parts.

It does feel it’s the form of some that’s letting it down, the worst thing about yesterday is losing two players as I expected the result.

How we adapt without Diaz will be key but it does look like Nunez might not be so bad after all, positive is he won’t be rushed back for the WC, same for Trent.

So basically we keep doing the same thing and hope that things will get better?

Ibou starts against Rangers, keeps his place every week and then things will start to look up for us this season… the young lad on that right hand side is what we have been missing :0)

1 Like