Jürgen Klopp: currently still the manager

I’ve read quite a few reports Klopp is pushing to extend Milners contract, I’m a bit torn on this. I think Milner has been excellent for us, far far better than I expected when he signed but overall I think this is a poor decision.

The irony is the reasons being given for Milner extended is the leadership shown… Why ironic? The leadership group for me has got stale and failed to halt the drop in form and performance. Are the players even listening any more? I fail to see how Milner is showing vast amounts of leadership when he’s part of the squad which has been for the most part terrible this season. This isn’t about his performances, this is about the group as a whole not lifting themselves for anything bar the top teams, going through the motions, letting standards and intensity drop week in week out.

I’ve read multiple times there has been many “cards of the table” robust team meetings about why we’ve been poor this season, here is the crux of the problem… Nothing has changed, and a season is long enough to see that maybe change is needed.

My personal view is Milner should be moved on, we need new players to step up into the leadership group, new ideas, new energy, new voices.

5 Likes

Home grown and keeps the squad numbers up, we have Bobby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, keita leaving and Phillips and a couple of others likely leaving also. Who are we replacing them with and where are we getting the money.

Nail on head. Excellent post. :+1:

3 Likes

Let’s not confuse effort with quality. And then the final part is always consistency, the hardest step to acehieve. That often happens with fans, we immediately think we’re not trying hard enough and that is the main problem. Though sometimes, yes, we can doubt with certain players at least.

Giving 100% is important, but it’s not enough to turn this around. It’s obvious that we cannot change it totally this season. Enough damage has been done, there will be no trophies, it’s late in the season and now we have to try and get that top 4 with the maximum we can give.

My eyes for that serious change and back to our principles are aimed at pre-season. I have been aware of that for a while now. The last when I maybe hoped we could bring our principles back was the Dubai training camp. But soon after that, even winning a few games post-WC, it became obvious that we’re not consistent enough.

Don’t know why James Milner is the symbol of a deeper discussion like that. He will not prevent important transfer activities this summer. He will not prevent us having a good and better pre-season than last. In fact, he will most probably he an important character in us pushing back to what we do best. And be a helpful solid option when called upon, hopefully and probably less if the new signings start well.

5 Likes

I’ve said before I’d let Milner move on, and this isn’t because I don’t like him or think he isn’t effective at what we ask him to do.

If Klopp wants him around another year, I’m not going to cry about it. It’s Klopp’s team, but we’re certainly allowed to have opinions on it.

Personally I don’t think a serious team challenging for the top honours should be relying on a 37 year old to play on the reg in midfield or as cover for your RB.

If that’s happening, to me that suggests a problem with the balance of the squad.

If you can have him as a luxury ‘extra’ on top of six genuine midfield options and two RB’s for a reasonable wage, then great, you should do that.

But the thing is because Thiago is made of glass, Hendo and Fab or on the decline and Elliott isn’t quite ‘there’ yet, we probably need to bring in 2 midfielders, meaning that extra luxury of Milner is in addition to seven other players, including the 2 we are buying who you want to be at the level, quality and reliability to be playing most weeks.

The back up to Trent should be a Tsimikas equivalent or a youngster with potential, not a 37 year patch job.

Milner has great experience and quality, but for me we should be looking at the future and Milner is not it.

2 Likes

We won top awards with him doing the same job or actually playing more. Other winning teams also had the odd player like Milner. I see younger players than him looking older than him. They will be removed and replaced with fresh legs and fresh quality. Nothing will change with Milner staying, we won’t rely on him carrying our midfield, if anything he will possibly play a bit less, if things are good again.

2 Likes

We have too many players that are only ‘squad’ quality. Milner is one of them.

Don’t really care if he stays or goes provided enough of them are replaced with proper quality.

6 Likes

Last season I did not want Milner to stay because it clearly would have put Klopp (and the club) in a situation where we would have to go for a new midfielder.

Then we had some injuries - including Milner and went for Arthur.

Doubt we would have been worse without Milner this season tbh.

If extending his contract means we’re signing two instead of three new midfielders I hope he leaves.

2 Likes

You’ve not understood my point, it’s not about Milner specifically, it’s not I don’t think we need to save the wages or the squad space. All of that is second to the fact I believe we need to shake up our leadership group - Hendo, Alisson, Robbo, Van Dijk, Robbo, Trent. They’ve overseen a huge drop from the squad, this season has been a disaster on all fronts. So looking at that leadership group, the name I’d “sacrifice” is Milner. Make it clear standards have dropped and we are looking forward, we must do better.

Why in the Klopp thread? Klopp is blinded by loyalty, I shudder to think what we’d have of a squad if Mane and now Bobby didn’t decide to leave on their own terms. Milner would be another in the long line of players kept past when they need to be moved on.

Far too many in the squad have got far far too comfy, they clearly aren’t listening to the rallying cries anymore. That needs proper change.

1 Like

I don’t have enough evidence for me to believe that there’s something wrong with our leadership group and that we have to offload a few of those. Are there people somewhat underperforming as individuals from that group, yes. I have bigger worries than Milner. Does that mean he’s guaranteed to be here, we can’t live without him and we wouldn’t understand if he leaves? Of course not. But I don’t think he needs to leave, I easily understand if the club gives him +1. We are all frustrated now, calling for heads to fall (highly doubt there will be that many changes) and it’s very easy to look at Milner, 37, what the hell is he still doing here and getting a new contract.

1 Like

I would need to see what the overall changes are, before having much of a view on a new deal for Milner.

If we retain too many old players, and don’t refresh the midfield with at least two quality players who go straight into the team, more often than not, then it is a bad move.

If we sign two very good midfielders, at least, and trim the group sufficiently - beyond contract expirations, that it makes sense to also keep a couple of old heads around, and Milner is one of them, fine, bring it on.

I probably need to see the overall business to form a view.

As it stands, Milner is a good old pro and might still have something to offer, but it needs to be very sparing, as the new midfielders we hope we will sign should start to boss it for us.

I don’t see Millie staying preventing anything of the following…

Keita, Ox, Arthur leaving for sure. Question what happens with Fabinho and maybe one or two of the younger ones like Jones (because it’s hard to see everyone being here next season).

At the moment, it seems like we want 2 new midfielders. Maybe one more if we want and can find an outgoing solution for Fabinho.

Nothing would change, really. I believe our main plan would remain the same. Maybe part of it would depend more on other players potentially leaving.

But for me this is where Hendo should be heading over the next couple of seasons.

I have no idea maybe he has plans to go back to Sunderland at some point, but if he wants to stay and play here I’d be moving on Milner. Literally any player can come on for 5 mins and take the ball into the corner.

1 Like

Would be the same, but with Manè and hence better

Probably wouldn’t have bought Nunez though

I’d want to see the overall business.

In a world where all four of Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho and Milner stay at the club, along with two strong midfield additions, and Bajcetic, Elliott and Jones; retaining Milner doesn’t make much sense.

I would want to know which of the four older players listed there will be staying next season.

2 Likes

Ideally, none.

I hear you, but that’s unrealistic.

Also, whoever of the older group is left, will, presumably, look better when used judiciously, as we are going to add a couple of top performers.

That’s the theory…

1 Like

3 strong midfield additions, Milner and Fabinho out. Easy! :rofl:

LOL to anyone wanting to get rid of ALL OF Hendo, Milner, Fabinho and Milner in one window and thinking we’d be adequately replacing them.