Keeping Pets, Ethical?

Didn’t know they have to do conservation, and would be surprised if that was a world wide thing.

Odd comparison - can’t imagine zoos would happily ditch the conservation work. but can imagine the tobacco industry would jump at the chance to ditch the health warning labels (and horrific pics that have done nothing to stop me).

Panda’s - they are all loaned to zoo’s worldwide and owned by the Chinese Government. Just a random fact

that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t exist. That’s all I am saying

horses are heavily domesticated, but there are still herds of wild horses roaming the world.

Thanks for offering. One less top tier consumer off the list that might extend the length of the world a fraction longer.

Why is the question about whether the animal is happy? Is a human baby born to their imprisoned mother in a hand dug basement somewhere in Germany (ThatsRacist.gif) guaranteed to be unhappy? If they were released today would they want the life you and I want? Probably not. They may even have been, dare I say it, ‘happy’ in their day to day life in their underground hole. Just because they aren’t aware of the a potential better alternative to their life doesn’t automatically mean they are unhappy. A ‘normal’ life would quite clearly freak them the hell out. But I doubt we’d find a single person here who would consider caging a human ‘ethical’.

For me, although I have pets, I do think there is a level of unethicalness there. I also think releasing domesticated lines of animals into the wild is far more unethical. For example, a caged domesticated chicken is far more ethical than a domesticated chicken released into the wild that has much of its natural survival instincts and ability to fend for itself completely bred out of it in favour of egg or meat production - which lets face it are terrible traits to have in the natural world.

@aussielad beat me to it and touched on the issue of domestication and whether it can be undone.

I can only tell you that our rabbits bolt into a hole when they sense danger. That wasn’t taught to them as kids as we’ve had them since they were pretty much born and they lived in hutches. As for kids in a basement, I think we can all agree that they “might” have been “happy” but they sure as hell did miss out and their father needed murdering.

As said in 101 you have to feel sorry for pets.
Ok everyone knows I have my Geckos it’s them who decide to come and share my habitat. They come go, eat drink and poo where they like (for their sakes I hope there’s someone to protect them once I find their poo).
My daughter had a cat, it was very sad when I had it put down, I hated her claws so had to set down rules, clawing only allowed when I had put thick protection on. She like the Geckos could come and go however on occasion I had to chase her away as she could really annoy me (vomit was the last straw).
Also my familly had dogs when I was young.
Now I just haven’t thye patience except for my Geckos who as soon as I appear disappear!

I miss this dog (looked identical to photo), as much as I sometimes hate to admit. She was my wife’s dog before we met and I had nicknamed her Sophia as she was a crotchety old girl even as a younger dog. Chinese Crested Powderpuff named “Truffles”

She would have survived in the wild, saw her chase off raccoons a few times.

1 Like

Pretty much identical to our neighbour’s dog. Lovely thing although loves to lick….

think they’re pretty close to a maltese.

the “powderpuff” has hair, it’s a recessive gene. not fur, but actual hair. needs to be bathed, shampoo, etc. but hypoallergenic and didn’t shed more than a human.

this is the standard chinese crested on left, next to a powderpuff.

I thought it was Limahl.

1 Like

You are all my pets, and I’m extremely ethical.

I have always advocated for ethical treatment of animals through my art.

3 Likes

We have three dogs and they are living a great life. Bernedoodle, labradoodle, and a Jack Russell puppy who joined the clan after our old Jack passed away a few months ago.

The Bernedoodle is in his element now that the weather is getting cooler. He likes to spend time outside on the deck, surveying his kingdom, watching for coyotes and generally keeping guard. He is a gentle giant. The labradoodle is playful as you like and the Jack Russell terrier shows why they are my favorite dog. Fearless, fun, zooms about the place, dive bombs the Bernedoodle and springs off his head and body, never a dull moment.

We have a big garden, fenced, they get fed twice a day, plenty of exercise, and all have their part in the ‘pack’ which is our family.

I doubt any of them would exist if it weren’t for the domestication of dogs, and the partnership with people they have enjoyed for millennia.

Essential to our lives? I’m a dog lover, and I can’t go that far.

But a real joy, and they add a lot to the family and household.

3 Likes

2 dogs that have been selectively bred for and by humans.

In the wild, would these types of cross-breeding occure?

Nope! In the wild I can think of the African dog, Dingo, Coyotes, and various types of wolf around the world. That’s the sort of thing that can survive on their own. There might be a few others, but the vast majority of dog breeds are interbred by humans to produce the desired trait.

1 Like

Try this.

Lock your wife and your dog in the boot of your car.
Let them out after 6 hours and watch which one will be glad to see you.

Sums up dogs and women equally.

How do you think dog breeds come about?

Poodle mixes are interesting. In many corners of the internet they are put forward as the worst example of dog breeding. Demon dogs with a list of problems as long as your arm.

It just isn’t the case in reality. There are countless doodle owners around here and virtually none of them have an overweight, unhappy or unhealthy dog. Some anxiety, some ear issues, but that’s about it. Compare it to many purebreeds I see - Schnauzer, B.Collie, Sharpei, Dachshund, Labs and Goldens, Bullys…they are an absolute breeze and healthier than most.

The breeding of doodles is purely for profit but they make good dogs who do not end up in shelters or killing toddlers. XL bullies, on the other hand…

1 Like

Probably would

Eastern coyote, a wolf hybrid, confirmed in Gatineau Park | CBC News.

In the years since, they have spread - to the point that they have been seen in my urban (but not dense) neighbourhood.

They are sound in my books, keep the rabbit population down. Cat owners feel otherwise.

1 Like