LFC Sporting Director thread

Not passing any sort of judgment but I do wonder if we would have taken a second look at him, had he not been German and an acquaintance of Klopp.

Best of luck to him.

Yeah I mean a 3 month contract doesn’t scream confidence from the club.

The suggestion has been that we have other options in mind but that they are unavailable until after this window, in which case Jorg has been brought in purely for work during this upcoming window only.

Or it’s something that suits both parties well. The club may have offered him a longer deal and he said no.

Interesting that there’s a caveat in the quotes re. extending his stay.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1663533321299664898

1 Like

I’m willing to give this guy a chance. Somewhat different from popular opinion, I’ve not been overly satisfied with Edwards’ & Ward’s final years. Our squad is in a state where some positions are overly covered, (Jota, Diaz, Nunez on the left anyone?) while others have none (Salah, Trent, Fabinho). For me the buck stops with the sporting director (although it is possible Klopp takes some of the blame due to his fixation for only getting the player or nobody at all).

Apart from this there is also the situation of an ageing midfield that has piled up on existing problems, the rectification of which should have started the moment it was obvious that both Oxlade Chamberlain and Naby Keita are going to spend too much time on the treatment table to ever fulfil their imagined roles. Thiago was always going to be an “icing on the cake” sort of player. Someone who gets the crowd excited, someone who techy loving fans can wank about for hours, and never someone who could be relied upon for 40 games a season in a intense pressing team.

Last two or three years of business in my opinion has been sub-par. We need better, and here’s hoping that it starts now. Really don’t want another season to be just passed off without us competing for anything.

1 Like

To be fair he has more expierence than the last two and I was never sold on Ward.

I thought Edwards was excellent and stepped up but did struggle at the beginning (yeah it’s always shifted on to Rodgers but it does feel like a relationship where there was no authority).

What happened to Mikey? It’s been a year since he left and I haven’t heard anything about him joining another club/company.

1 Like

His LinkedIn states he’s “on a break”. Maybe his gardening leave is longer than usual.

Forgot to update. Maybe even forgot that he has an account.

1 Like

I don’t think he was keen on the PL and that’s were the offers were I assume.

Maybe. But an ex sporting director as good as Edwards forgetting anything is unlikely.

If he had a job in sport, we would know i suspect.

My mistake. I thought you were talking about Schmadtke :man_facepalming:

So the set up appears to be:

Jurgen is influential in saying what he needs. I like that, as it is his vision. But then his vision is strengthened by the input of the analysts and scouts. I like that we still have a collegiate approach as it is better for the club. Then a list is presented, according to type. Then, with the blessing of the owners as to financial parameters, the DOF goes after them and negotiates the deals.

Seems like a healthy set up.

Beyond that, it is a temporary thing with Jorg for three months, with the option to extend if it is working well for both parties.

My conclusion is we are working on multiple deals, and at least some of our business will be done in Germany, and we have an expert negotiator in to help close out the deals that have been in the pipeline for a while, according to the process described above.

If his reputation is a bit spiky, perhaps it is because he isn’t very media savvy (although his explanation of the job went beyond what Edwards or Ward offered) or perhaps he is just a tough character in negotiation, and if so, the arrangement might suit us down to the ground.

If he is a difficult character it is quite possible that we manage that just fine, as the whole process is mapped out, so everyone can operate in their lane.

Arguably we have a long term DOF in mind, who isn’t available yet, and our intention is for this to be three months.

Either way, this is an important summer for us, so I glad that we have someone in place.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Biggies_MaIIs/status/1663658941119619076?s=20

1 Like

https://twitter.com/stevedaviesseo/status/1663661326630043648?s=20

Personally I don’t like him.
That doesn’t mean I think he is technically incompetend.
Hopefully he will stay longer than three month :wink:

Life’s about forgiveness! He’s already apologized for banging your ex.

1 Like

Wasn’t he in Porridge?

If we’re signing Thuram, Kone and MacAlister this week, how much involvement has he actually had in these deals - and what’s he going to do for the next 3 months…Should have just got him in for 3 days :rofl:

1 Like

2 Likes