Liverpool Fans, What Are Our Limits?

What a thoroughly depressing read. With regards to this bit about old Bone Saw ;" He calls for the beheading of human rights activists in his own country. He quite literally wants human heads to be removed from human bodies. Why? They ‘chanted slogans hostile to the regime’. "

Now imagine if you will what his reaction might be were rival fans to start doing something similar ! I hope they get so much fucking stick , and the associated bad publicity that comes with it , that he ends up wishing he never went anywhere near English football.

1 Like

Well at least we won’t be getting bought out by the very worst of them all , so we can thank the Geordies for that.

2 Likes

There’s always worse. One of my life goals is to buy United and destroy them.

2 Likes

Moved to Ole/Utd thread.

It wouldn’t take much for me to check out; I’ve been more and more disillusioned over these last years - not with our club, but with the “game” as it’s going.
My connection with the club is probably the only thing keeping me invested in the modern game.
If we had the misfortune of Saudi PIF investment, I’d say thanks for the memories and start following rugby union or drinking more on the weekends. Probably both.

7 Likes

I definitely fell out of love with the game last season. Not sure if it was the fatigue after finally finally winning the title or the no fans, but I checked out well before the run of home losses.

Thankfully I found the spark again over the summer and will just enjoy things for as long as I can.

If FSG eventually sell to some undesirable owners, I don’t think I could drop all interest in the game, but I would probably be looking at a non-league club to follow.

1 Like

For me, no, I don’t think I’d walk away or stop supporting Liverpool. Likely an unpopular statement just being honest. If Liverpool found itself owned by a dark force, there is really nothing any of us could do about it. The band plays on.

Our homes are likely filled with food, products, appliances, electronics, cosmetics, etc., were produced and distributed by less than desirable means and funded by dark entities. I remember reading the factory that was building iPhones had to install human nets around the perimeter to prevent workers from committing suicide.

Yet, we continually consume.

My own son is employed by a global sportswear giant that’s been cited and fined numerous times down the years for poor, unsafe, and inhumane working conditions as well as unsavory/unethical business practices.

I don’t at all fault or judge anyone for feeling the way they do, just expressing a humble opinion.

10 Likes

Nailed it.

I’ll never not be a Liverpool fan and I’ll continue to follow our red hoard wherever they dominate. Being bought by nasty evil bastards would be dreadful but Liverpool will still be MY team.

4 Likes

The other side of the coin is that by being owners of a PL club the spot light is going to be on them as a regime.

Time to wise the fuck up lads

1 Like

Yeah, the Saudi government has notoriously flown under the radar until now.

1 Like

[quote=“Redbj, post:36, topic:2334, full:true”]…id walk

id watch the results, but the love wouldnt be there.

it could come back (my love) if the ownership situation changed back, but i reckon the game would have to break for that to happen
[/quote]

Me, too. If we were bought by murderous regime such as the Saudis, then if I were living in the Liverpool area I’d find out how to get to Prenton Park. I’d follow LFC’s results but otherwise I’d turn my back on the whole money-obsessed circus that the Premier League has become.

4 Likes

I really don’t know where I’d be… if our owners were really terrible it would be a very big step towards disillusionment with the club.

But I’m not an idealist either. As long as they keep things separate and act as good owners… I think I would still support but probably not with the same fervour.

Not picking on you here, as plenty of people have expressed similar sentiments throughout both this thread and the Newcastle one, but seeing that you’re the most recent…

Stoning people to death for the most spurious of reasons and treating women like second-class citizens; shutting down free speech and abducting and murdering those who disagree; using torture and making the right to protest illegal; these are just some of the many ways in which the Saudi regime violates human rights.

But that’s all okay if they sign Mbappé, yeah?

5 Likes

Well said @cynicaloldgit thats the question and as sad as it is there will be jubilation when the big signings are made and the whole Saudi thing conveniently ignored. Mourinho will be there 5 minutes later.

It has to start somewhere. I saw the Newcastle forum and you are right. They are ecstatic and it’s becoming an us vs them situation for them. The whataboutism on clubs owned by similar owners, others being jealous of them suddenly being competitive, others not knowing what happens when you have owners like Ashley and them also deserving to be at top just like any other club. Clubs which haven’t seen success for a long time wouldn’t care much about what happens behind the scenes as long as there are new signings and hope to one day be at top.

Football and winning one over the rival clubs has become more important than many other aspects, which has led us to where we are today. What we are seeing today has been a gradual progress over years of indifference towards this and football > everything else attitude.

2 Likes

Wonder what the Newcastle fans (yes you Shearer), would be spouting if the Saudi regime had just taken over at Sunderland instead…!

4 Likes

I think if I am being honest I would follow Liverpool through more or less anything.

The club would have to do something seriously shitty for me to call it a day.

Plus owners come and go, the fabric of the club (the fans, the memories) will always be there for me.

owners with mega money means over inflated fees and wages…… that horse bolted long ago for more or less every club in the premier league or top league in their country and could be argued for the championship too.

Yes some are stupid with it (City, Chelsea and now it seems Newcastle will join that club) but the rest aren’t far behind although there would be much more parity between the rest. Stick United in the first bracket too.

Hopefully we’ll be hearing some ‘Bone Saw’ type chants around the grounds. To my mind , this has the potential to backfire spectacularly on them. Instead of cleaning up their image and distracting attention away from their ongoing crimes against humanity , they could well find themselves under a whole new level of scrutiny and public shaming. Here’s hoping.

2 Likes

The UK government is close to agreeing new takeover rules amid a backlash from fans and rival clubs over the Saudi Arabian-led deal at Newcastle. (Sunday Telegraph - subscription required)

Long-term changes to make directors’ and owners’ tests more accountable and transparent are described as ‘almost an inevitability’

They’ve got my memo.

I know two and both made their money cleanly (and not just overnight from a tech unicorn). Both are hardnosed and fairly robust and forthright in their views but absolutely believe in market democracy and playing within the rules and the ‘dirtiest’ thing they are likely to have done is use the legal system instrumentally by not following through on a contract or suing to delay/encourage renegotiation of contractual terms or, perhaps used existing insider contacts to get the inside running on a deal. Neither partake in Pandora style tax evasion and one of them funds left of centre political causes and has a foundation that quietly funds unsexy and non performative things like education and health programs for the marginalised. The other is nominally a chelsea fan though so, absolutely he must really be an evil cunt. So maybe 50/50? :rofl:

1 Like