Liverpool FC - Pre-season

Saudi withdrawing their interest as we speak.

https://x.com/SamueILFC/status/1819886237429199117

6 Likes

That was very pleasant.

Anthony is really shit. My fave moment was when he tried to stand up our defender for ages, twatting about with his ā€˜quick feetā€™, and just just the ball out for a goal kick.

3 Likes

Always nice to win, especially against that lot.

Preseason in the States P3 W3. Canā€™t do better than that.

Digging deeperā€¦ I loved the patterns of play. Glimpses of slick passing too. We never saw our first team, or even close, but it augurs well that the lads behind the team are making their mark.

I canā€™t wait to see what heights we might hit with everyone on board and up to speed in the way that Slot wants to play.

Now transfers, both in and out, will take center stage. Contract renewals too.

Watching, like all good reds.

YNWA

3 Likes

Holy fuck. Arne is giving his post like we lost 3-0, mother fucker is a ruthless dictator.

Not enough control, gave away too many chances. Duuuuuuude. Unless we win the league with 114 points, he aint gonna be happy.

4 Likes

I know it is only a friendly but my take, if everyone stays fit;

Quansah - will be used in a similar capacity, if not more as the Matip replacement. I hate seeing players (Matip) get injured but this young lad has really taken his chance.
Badgertits - what a player, letā€™s hope he stays fit. I believe when we signed him, he was a CB.
Morton - I like him, I think he has got a lot of potential and could be a dependable squad player this season. The only thing that goes against him is Bajetic as they play similar roles. I think Hughes and Edwards will try to cash in on him, or loan him out for a year and then cash in on him.
Doak - He is a player that excites people when he comes on. At the moment it is because of anticipation, because he is direct but needs to work on his end product. Maybe Iā€™m being unfair and itā€™s because he is trying too hard. I hope we manage him well.
Sepp - will be sold, unless we sell Gomez. I Think he has good attributes, I just think Quansah offers more. I do believe he will have a solid career.
Harvey Blair - havenā€™t seen much of him, but I have positive vibes about him. He has good movement and puts himself about. He may of put himself above Danns in the pecking order.

Chambers, not really seen to much of him. Stephenson not good enough, Nyoni, still too early but looks good and it is clear the management like him.

Keeper looked good also, I guess we will try and sell Kelleher and promote him to deputy GK.

2 Likes

Stuff of gold that.

1 Like
3 Likes

I actually agree with him and its great to see a coach/manager actually tell it how it is

2 Likes

Agreed.

In effect, heā€™s saying ā€œThese are my standards. If you donā€™t meet them, goodbye.ā€

7 Likes

Totally agree too, despite winning there was a lot that could have been better. United were really bad.

1 Like

Jones had a poor 35 mins but then started to play 2 touch and improved dramatically, which also comes down to coaching. I would limit Jones in training to 2 touches, so he can then get used to scanning and being aware what is around him, before and when he is receiving the ball.

One thing though he didnā€™t hide and his positioning was very good finding space to receive the ball, just has to be more decisive once he has it.

2 Likes

Quansah, Gravenberch and Elliot the standouts for me. Both keepers also did well, Jaros surprised me with how good he was at using the ball with his feet.

Overall donā€™t think we played particularly well, the Arsenal performance was much better but we had the clinical edge they lacked and itā€™s always nice to get one over on them.

2 Likes

Just love how this kid plays football, a proper modern day fullback that plays with supreme confidence. Can do a bit of everything.

5 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1820055287702712685

5 Likes

Those who have watched the preseason games, have you noticed any changes in our approach or formation?

1 Like

The approach Iā€™d say is quite unique. Looks like we mayā€™ve seen the last of the inverted roles. Something Iā€™ve definitely noticed is that he likes his fullbacks underlapping which actually allows our wide men to find them easier as theyā€™re not constantly overlapping and thus running past their blind spot.

Also been a lot less long diagonals to switch play/long passes in general and more ground football/short intricate passing if you like, although that could be more down to personnel, once Virgil and Trent who both love to display their passing range come back in, weā€™ll mix it up a bit more.

Betis was hard to figure out as we didnā€™t play with a recognised #9, it looked like Harvey and Szobo were playing as false 9s with Fabio and Mo wide.

The other 2 games Iā€™ve definitely seen more of a 4231 where the guys in the pivot take turns over who drops deeper to pick up the ball from the CBs/keeper, for Arsenal it was Jones and Szobo and last night Jones and Grav.

5 Likes
2 Likes

What did we do to them???

3 Likes

Virg still looks absolutely knackered.

2 Likes